Poll

What's your favorite missile for dropping bombers?

Harpoon
6 (14%)
Tempest
9 (20.9%)
Trebuchet
20 (46.5%)
Electromagnetic Pulse
4 (9.3%)
Other
4 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Anti-bomber ordinance  (Read 10568 times)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Re: Anti-bomber ordinance
The one that's painted like a Turkey.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Trebuchets. Cause they've got the range, and if you're in a herc, you can carry a motherload of them ... Unless i remember wrongly, or it was just the derelict mission. =S But close in? Primaries. No need to waste secondaries for close in.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Ares can carry more than Herc IIs

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Yea, funny thing is, I've never flown an Ares. Usually there's the Erynies an the Ares, so i pick the Erynies. Although I've always usually thought of an Ares as a glorified Herc ...

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
That's what it is--it's a Herc with a six gun-mounts (first primaries are 2 mounts, second primaries are 4 more mounts) and some more secondary room. I prefer it, though.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I dunno, there was something about the Ares that i'd rather a Herc 2 over it or the limousine. Probably my personal preference.

Offline Dysko

I've always usually thought of an Ares as a glorified Herc ...
Strange... I always thought of the Ares as a Herc 2 that just got out of Pimp my Ride...
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Temps! Waiting for target lock sucks.. Ok, maybe slip in a few trebs if time permits.

Waiting for the temps to get in range sucks. :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd fly the Ares over the Erinyes since I can pop more Trebs into it and it has more hull strength.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
That's what it is--it's a Herc with a six gun-mounts (first primaries are 2 mounts, second primaries are 4 more mounts) and some more secondary room. I prefer it, though.

You disremember the MASSIVE boost to shields and armor.

Thats really what makes the Ares so much more powerful...with a herc, a wing is necessary for cruiser assault so that the defensive firepower is spread out among various targets and each fighter gets a longer lifespan.

With an Ares, it doesn't matter.
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Temps! Waiting for target lock sucks.. Ok, maybe slip in a few trebs if time permits.

Waiting for the temps to get in range sucks. :p
Oh yeah? But my Hercs got an engine too :cool:

No thing clears the air like a few banks of temps, when the place gets overly

:D

I don't know what difficulty level you play on, but on Insane the Trebuchet is often the only way to go. Missions like Exodus are almost boring. Fire treb, call in support while the next enemy wing replies, fire more treb, repeat. Anything short-range isn't an option because of those bomber Pirahnas (which don't really bother you on Medium or lower) and the sheer number of enemies you have to kill. On Insane you're aiming for as many kills/minute as possible, and the Trebuchet is best for this, if a little boring. Missiles will always get more bomber kills than your guns if used properly, missile salvoes move faster than you and can be in more than one place at a time.

I recommend everyone here play Exodus on Insane if you haven't already done so.  ;) This should give you a new respect for Trebuchet.

OTOH the PI Thunder is such a ridiculously effective weapon that it would almost be no contest if PI wasn't so damn hard. Think of a Rockeye with the damage of a Harpoon and 4,000m range.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
I already play on insane -- the Ares/Treb combo is necessary. I rarely dogfight at the end of the campaign--guns barely hit and it's simply easier to use distance as an advantage. Poor AI is the culprit for why Trebs work so well against fighters too--they start to "dodge" too early, meaning the Treb will track the movement. I don't think the AI tries particularly complex maneuvers for a single (or double) missile--it always chooses one track and attempts it.

Anyways--maximum kills/minute are necessary... too bad your own wingmen will also call for support (they're generally 4km away from me) and distract the ship. I have to tell it to depart and then call in a new ship often.

Anyone ever really try to use a Subach against a bomber's shields, while playing in Insane? You will move at least 1km before you can get a kill... even Tempests take too long.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
In certain missions the are just too many bombers to pick out from distance, they will be swarming around your caps no matter what.
There, Temps will, once again,  save the day :headz:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

And more armor..a lot more armor... 475 hp IIRC

This thing is tough as nails and armed to the teeth.. I prefer it to the Erynies any time.

eDIT - Didn't notive this was allready replied too...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
The GTF Limo is simply too long to be effective--you have enemies from all sides taking shots at your excessive size. It's really horrible--no matter the direction, even if you change speeds, quite a few shots are bound to hit you while you are turning. The simple fact is the Limo is too long and not tough enough to be effective. There are quite a few larger ships that work better--the Ursa tops the list as largest but I find it is also one of the most-survivable, due to the top-mounted turret. In a Limo, I can't bring firepower to bear on a target--in a Ursa, I have a turret blasting you to shreds while I keep you above me.

The Turkey is a monster of a fighter--it's better then a Herc2 in basically every way. It's not much bigger, much tougher, and has much more firepower. If not for the final missions justifying it, I'd say it's way overpowered as a fighter.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
The Turkey is a monster of a fighter--it's better then a Herc2 in basically every way. It's not much bigger, much tougher, and has much more firepower. If not for the final missions justifying it, I'd say it's way overpowered as a fighter.

You disremember the fact that it handles like a car with no wheels.
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

What is the Turkey?  :confused:

Offline GenericCorvette

• Lolikyon~!
What is the Turkey?  :confused:

The GTF Ares. It flies like a potato.
:|

The one that's painted like a Turkey.

the Ares?