Author Topic: Some Non-FS models  (Read 39916 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Indeed, IMO the scale should be increased maybe about 3x.  Sweet design and concept though. Do you have ideas as for its armaments yet?

Originally I was planning on giving it 4 forward-facing heavy weapons of some sort, with something equivalent to beam cannons. However, that was back when the front section had a diamond-shape, and now it's triangular... so I might give it 3 of something.

Also, I was thinking of using this ship in a Newtonian-Relativistic game (I wouldn't mind making the game that proves once and for all that a realistic space sim doesn't have to be un-fun :D), and as such, I figured that one aspect where realism and gameplay don't get along is infinite-range instant-hit weapons... beams. There's no real reason for a beam to have a limited range, except that any directed energy weapon would dissipate as it travels... this reduces the effective range, but does not make the weapon suddenly 'vanish' at an arbitrary distance. Nonetheless, the effective range for anything that can legitimately be called a 'beam' and not a 'fwoosh' is still too great for my comfort. I like the idea of a weapon with an "effective range" however, and better yet, something where the player(s) in fighters could reduce this effective range... perhaps warship torpedoes of some sort, which could be shot down by the fighters.

It will probably also have numerous turrets, although how many and of what sort I have not yet decided. I'll probably want to think about the weapons before I start placing anything, though.

I breathed while I burst into laughter at the same time and started coughing like mad after I saw that comparison image. :lol:

Haw. :p

up front how about three main cannons of some description and in the middle a torpedo launcher to beef up the forward punch or an anti fighter weapon to protect the main guns from fighter assault
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
headdie, you're awesome. That's the most awesomely bad grammar I've seen in a while...

:wakka:

Ah yes, and I'll need to get back to concept art sometime soon...  ;)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
headdie, you're awesome. That's the most awesomely bad grammar I've seen in a while...

:wakka:

Ah yes, and I'll need to get back to concept art sometime soon...  ;)

what can i say half 11 at night lol
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Is that supposed to be late?

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
it is when you haven't had much sleep

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I've scaled the whole thing up by a factor of 3 on all axes...

There are currently two areas I'm not sure how to proceed with:

I kind of want to avoid an 'exposed internals' look for such large areas of the hull. Suggestions welcome.

Offline watsisname

Hmmm.  Since you've given that portion a sharp cutaway both above and below it, I guess it'd be logical to have sharp angle there, too.  It doesn't need to be lights/internals/whatever but maybe with something as simple as panelling, or with a few small structures bulging out, it'd look okay.

Apologies if my post makes no sense visually, I'm not a modeller.  :ick:
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
If not internals, then maybe some weapon ports?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmmm...

(1.) Indent.
(2.) Add plating (or otherwise greebles).
(3.) Add venting.
(4.) Add sensors.
(5.) Done!

;)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I've got a bit of an idea how I want to deal with the front area (2nd image), the side/top area (1st image) is more of an unknown right now... It's also much less planar.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I'm making some sort of an alien. Currently it looks like a Zergling mated with a Sathanas...

It's not done, obviously. I plan to give it some hardened plates ( "armor" ), revise the tail considerably, re-attach those little spikes (they were attached in an earlier version), give it some sort of "face" (not very human-looking), somehow make the legs look less wiry, and maybe make those big claws into arms/"fingers" with little claws at the ends.

And then I'd do texturing and stuff like that.

Possibly-interesting note (depending how bored you are), that's per-vertex AO, not per-pixel or per-texel... I had to uber-subdivide the ground under the feet to make it look right.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I was thinking you could do this with the leg:

sorry for the crap image, 10 mins with gimp and I've only got a mouse :\

[attachment deleted by admin]
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Snail

• SC 5
More pronounced musculature?

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
basically, yes
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I just thought of something great I could do as far as the eyes/mouth/face... somewhat like this image I came across on wookiepedia, of a critter called the "Sith Wyrm"... although the picture there is kind of ridiculous, it gave me an interesting idea. So I'ma go try to model that idea now.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
More work on the front... it looks kinda crummy so far, but I'm just setting up the general form.

Cool. Have you thought about how you'll animate it? Will it carry its arms in that manner when it runs?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Cool. Have you thought about how you'll animate it? Will it carry its arms in that manner when it runs?

Hm... I'd been thinking it'd have a gait sort of like a rabbit, hopping/bounding/whatever... the arms probably wouldn't be up like that all the time, though. Idunno really.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Awww, a jumping Sathanas bunny!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

More work on the "face"

Edit: I'm starting a thread about this guy on scifi-meshes.com: here!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:39:45 am by Aardwolf »