Author Topic: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask  (Read 168233 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask
So, any website updates recently?  New screenshots & such?
You should know better, Goober.

Spoiler:
BWO IS DEAD! AND UNLESS YOU RELEASE SCREENSHOTS I WILL CONTINUE GIVING MY CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM! YOU ARE ALL COWARDS! DON'T TALK BACK TO ME!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
You should know better, Goober.

Spoiler:
BWO IS DEAD! AND UNLESS YOU RELEASE SCREENSHOTS I WILL CONTINUE GIVING MY CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM! YOU ARE ALL COWARDS! DON'T TALK BACK TO ME!
* Androgeos Exeunt wonders if Goober will continue changing custom titles. :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Wasn't 1999 a doomsday date?
No, that was a party date.

I'm about to RAAAAAGE if this doesn't get back on topic.
So, any website updates recently?  New screenshots & such?

Noper. Won't happen for at least a little bit.

Offline Falcon

Excellent news! :yes:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm not afraid to ask. So i dunno if i'm allowed to in here. (Crazy paradox man. . .)
How's the staff turnover for BWO? Original staff retention and vacancy replenishment in the last few years?
Not to stir either, but what field would contribute to a speedy re-alignment of goal attainability? (Sorry i'm warming up my execu-speak for a project management interview tomorrow)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Don't know. Probably someone to come over to my house and kick me in the ass repeatedly. I'm sure that'd speed things up a bit on some fronts.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
So... what's the weapon lineup look like? Any interesting new primaries I wouldn't know about from the website?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No use dwelling and spending too much time worrying and talking about a campaign that is obviously nowhere near release despite the fact that it has been worked on since 2000.
I dunno what to say at this point.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Say nothing.

Ignore it and move on. I know I do.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
No use dwelling and spending too much time worrying and talking about a campaign that is obviously nowhere near release despite the fact that it has been worked on since 2000.
Probably since before 2000 :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline DREDHAWK

• If you go to Z'Ha'Dum you will die. (Kosh,Babylon5
    • Youtube Channel
Yes i remember back in 2000 i was Junior in high school.  well it doesn't seem like its been what 9 years  how time fly's.   i have been checking on BWO off and on for nine years :D :D :D :D
FROM FS1
When the destroyers came for us, we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They were like the others: strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others: They did not die. We made our first retreat. We could forego one system. We left it to the destroyers and went elsewhere. But they followed. They hunted us. They followed us when we retreated, discovered where we lived.
For a long time we did not know why they chased us. They were no ordinary enemy. They did not seek our territory, our technology, our resources.
Now we know our crime was sin.

Offline DREDHAWK

• Youtube Channel
FS1 was out my be they started there ideas before FS2 came out then modified from there  to fit in with FS2    :rolleyes:
FROM FS1
When the destroyers came for us, we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They were like the others: strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others: They did not die. We made our first retreat. We could forego one system. We left it to the destroyers and went elsewhere. But they followed. They hunted us. They followed us when we retreated, discovered where we lived.
For a long time we did not know why they chased us. They were no ordinary enemy. They did not seek our territory, our technology, our resources.

Offline DREDHAWK

• Youtube Channel
My be at the time it wasn't could BWO   or my IceFire got his year messed up :warp:  my they had the idea just dint put it out at the time how nows 
FROM FS1

Eh, isn't BWO a sequel to both Warzone and Derelict, both of which are FS2 campaigns. So how can they start BWO before they start Derelict which comes after FS2?

Offline DREDHAWK

• Youtube Channel
Beats me ask IceFire
FROM FS1

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Firstly....FreeSpace 2 came out in 1999.  Soon after that I began work on Warzone.  I forget when I released that but it was after I had already started working on a few details for BWO.  Then Kellan was involved and we began working on some of the story even before Derelict was released.

Then myself (Warzone) and Kellan and Agatheron (Derelict) got together, put together an internal site on Volition Watch, and we spent quit a few productive months on BWO.  Then the project expanded...we had Dark, Bobboau, Dynamo, and allot of other people coming in and out of the team at the time.  And things were pretty productive until much later on when things at Volition Watch slowed down....then the forums at VW were hacked and we had had enough so we closed that site down.  I moved some resources from BWO and other projects (just as TBP) from VW to HLP and we've been here ever since.

My feeling at the time was that HLP and VW as separate entities were not strong enough to preservere but that by combining what forces were left and what interest there was left that we'd have something strong to work from. Overall the plan worked...HLP is as strong or even more strong now than it was before.  We've got the best of the community collaborating together on the Source Code and we all know what a success that was as well.

BWO sort of got lost in the move.  Agatheron had long since gotten busy with real life and moved on.  Kellan was around the time of the big move and so was Dynamo.  Dark disappeared a long time ago...a VERY talented artist and 3D modeler but no idea what happened to him.  And that left me...I don't have the time like I used to but I try and keep things on track now and again.

BWO's had the services of quite a few different team members...especially Ace who brilliantly finished off many unfinished missions and built several more.  But after that....for a while we were stuck.  We had finished the missions but our models were from the early 2000 era.  Good for the time but not even slightly competitive with the newer graphics.  So thats being worked on, the voices are being worked on, we finally got a couple of people to help us with upgrading our texture maps (the 3D portions have been in good shape for a while).  But we don't and never did have a big staff like Inferno or TBP or any of those.  Maybe we should have and its probably my fault and Kellans fault for weaving a neat storyline that we didn't want to tell anyone the details of...because it'd ruin the whole thing.  So nobody would be really interested.  We don't have gargantuan ships either so we couldn't be a part of that whole thing either.

BWO and Machina Terra are the two closest in concept campaigns out there.  In retrospect...maybe we should have pooled resources.  We're different takes on the same theme.  But whats done is done.

In any case....yes BWO is a takeoff of the plots from Derelict and Warzone. We worked out how the stories would fit together (they happen at nearly the same time) and we worked out how some of the two stories would inform the BWO plot.
- IceFire

That's one of the more interesting posts I've read on these forums in weeks.
Thanks

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Hey ... how come you have two sites (one at 3DAP and one at HLP)?  I've noticed that the 3DAP one has much more content...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
In any case....yes BWO is a takeoff of the plots from Derelict and Warzone. We worked out how the stories would fit together (they happen at nearly the same time) and we worked out how some of the two stories would inform the BWO plot.
Well they share one mod that I can think of.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Hey ... how come you have two sites (one at 3DAP and one at HLP)?  I've noticed that the 3DAP one has much more content...
A move in servers a while ago...strangely the old server still hosts that content.  Which is weird.

I've been every so slowly working on a new BWO website which will eventually have all of the old content and allot of new content.  Its just I've been so busy.  Once we know we're within spitting distance of release we'll amp things up.  A new website may come before that time.
- IceFire