Author Topic: SCP bug hunting drive! Calling all programmers!  (Read 15673 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
SCP bug hunting drive! Calling all programmers!
This is something taylor and I have discussed informally, and I think it's time to give it a shot.  Announcing the first-ever community-for-hire bug-hunting drive.  The rules are simple:

1) Look on Mantis, find a bug that isn't assigned to anybody (or if it is assigned to somebody, ask if you can steal it) and claim it in this thread.  I will reassign it to the "bug_hunting_drive" user, so that people know it's been claimed.

2) Fix it, and submit a patch (or explain why it isn't a bug).

3) Earn bounties.  For each issue that's a bona fide bug, you get $5.  (Particularly evil bugs may be worth more, at sponsor's discretion.)  For each issue that's a configuration problem or a user error, you get $1.

The drive will run until September 30th and is open to anybody who isn't wearing a SCP avatar.  The bounties will be sponsored by me, at least initially.  Payment will be via PayPal or by special arrangement.

The purposes of the drive are twofold.  First, to get bugs fixed in Mantis, as a lot of the existing SCP staff are either busy, burned out, or slacking off.  Second, to get more people interested in the SCP, some of which will hopefully decide to join.

What are you waiting for?  Get going! :)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: SCP bug hunting drive! Calling all programmers!
I'd do it for free if I knew how to program :(.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
and is open to anybody who isn't wearing a SCP avatar.

Damn it!
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Damnit, me too. Well, where can i learn to program, as in video game wise? what program and what tutorial should i look at?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 10:50:54 pm by haloboy100 »
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I know some C but hardly know anything about the FS2 code or game programming in general. You best bet for this might be some of those "slacking off" coders who are already part of the SCP. :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
So maybe this will be an incentive to learn. :)

You best bet for this might be some of those "slacking off" coders who are already part of the SCP. :p
Uh, no.  Part of the responsibility of being a SCP member includes fixing bugs on a regular basis.  If we included members of the SCP, it would almost be a vindication of doing nothing the rest of the time.

Any one of the SCP staff that doesn't bug fix, and yet still contributes code to CVS, should be in danger of having their membership revoked.  That's the theoretical basis for membership in the first place.  We haven't enforced it before, but I'm leaning more and more toward doing so.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I see where you're coming from there. What I meant is that most of the existing programmer talent around here is already affiliated with the SCP in some way, and the rest of us don't really have the necessary knowledge. Maybe I'll take a closer look at the code and see if I can make any sense of it.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
So maybe this will be an incentive to learn. :)

I'm learning, but I started out to advanced and now I am confused and have to start all over. :blah:

My goal is to not have to do anything when my semester of C programing class comes around in the spring :drevil:. Then I have to suffer through an advanced placement java class, then I can really start learning good C++. Hopefully, though, I'll get to the point where I can just look at some code and sorta pick it up as I go before then.

*goes off to read Kernighan and Ritchie.

Did people give to much donations?

Anyway, I am not going to fix the bugs... just report them.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
@Goober: Could you maybe find a coder forum and buy some of their AdSense?  XD  IDK, Wing Commander guys seemed to have done that on our site b4... *shrugs*

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
i'll give it a try, but first i need the source code.

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You should've linked to the wiki.  (kara must clicky the link.  :hopping: )

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The wiki page doesn't have pictures. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
parents sya "no downloading with some weird program" because "its virus ridden".

is it possilbe for a zip file to be uploaded?

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Good gravy.  http://free.grisoft.com
Get yourself an Anti-Virus scanner and stop worrying.  (It's free.)  While you're at it, get the Anti-Spam software, too.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
yeah, we have one. "the virus might be newer than the virus library". paranoia.... :doubt:

only zips available are the btrl build and the retail code.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Good gravy.  http://free.grisoft.com
Get yourself an Anti-Virus scanner and stop worrying.  (It's free.)  While you're at it, get the Anti-Spam software, too.

Anti-Spam software might block his ability to post :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Shade

Providing zips for the post-retail code would be a logistical nightmare, as it is constantly changing. Would need to re-upload the thing sometimes 4-5 times a day to keep it current. But if you're interested in specific parts of the code, there's still the online version of the CVS Repository which is updated automatically. Would take you a long, long time to get every file from there though.

Just tell your parents that tortoise CVS isn't a virus :p
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:12:21 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
aye...parents are annoying. they want a long detailed post from the person who uses it most (goober?).