Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 222406 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
Is there a netcode update coming?  Because I gotta say, for a mouse/keyboard player that can't turn as quick as a joystick user at the best of times, the lag with a 130 ms ping really hurts your combat effectiveness :P
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
I have asked the coders to take a look at it. FS2 seems to suffer from lag effects more than most games I've played, even when the ping is relatively low. As far as the primary weapons go, a partial solution I had in mind was to have the lead indicator account for it, as described here.

One option may be to use a kind of hybrid server/P2P system, where some calculations are done on the client end. Descent 2 is like this for example, and the lag was not that much of an issue in that when we used to play it (and when it did come up, it was the same for everyone). However, such a thing may be difficult to add in and has a number of other disadvantages.

Actually, the funny thing was that even I was getting lag-like effects during that dogfight we played, like ramming resulting in instant death and ships jumping around too fast to aim at. :D

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Back when PXO was still around I use to be able to watch the ping and figure out how far to lead the lead indicator to get hits.  Primaries work just fine that way.  Only problem is when I started playing single player again I couldn't hit anything.  Once I got used to single now I have to learn multi again.  Give me a couple weeks of playing and I'll be deadly with my Ery and 8 kysers again.   :D
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
It gets even more difficult now, when we got higher display resolutions and all kinds of funny aspect ratios.
But no, I'm not gonna switch it back to 640x480 ;)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm still using 4:3 like I used to, just a much bigger 4:3. :D

By the way, does anyone know if that multi.log bug been fixed in recent builds? I just happened to look at mine after two months and it had grown to a gigantic 4.6GB. I don't know how the game manages to write that much stuff without constant hard drive activity. :p

I guess even if it's fixed, I should stick with 3.6.9 to minimize compatibility problems.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I always did play in 1024x768.  Now that I do have a wide screen (27"  :D) half my computers are still at that resolution.  This one is at 1360x768 but I don't seem to notice in game.  My other computer that is set to wide screen drives me nuts trying to play.  Wonder how FS2_Open would look on my 50" monitor.  Tried retail on it and it looked terrible. http://fubar4.fubar.org/fubar/100_0473.jpg Of course it was when I first got the monitor and I was using my laptop.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Shade

Just had an idea for a larger gauntlet-type mission, probably 8 players but maybe more if it turns out hard enough, so I'll get working on that. The more missions we have that support higher player numbers, the better. Probably won't take that long to make as there's very little event wrangling in a gauntlet, so it might even be ready for some early testing by saturday :)

[Edit] It occurs to me that we should probably take all the new/modified mission talk to a new thread so we can comment on and discuss them without spamming this thread. Ah well, next time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:15:49 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
hi just a quick question, anyone interested in a mid week game , 9pm gmt until midnight wednesday night? even if its just to dogfight ? ;)
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Homework, once again.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
I might be interested, depending on the amount of homework or real life attending issues i might have :lol:
I am not much of a dogfighter (unless it's a flight sim, not a space sim) but i sure would like to have a play on mid-week
Signed, me

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I don't have time to play more than once a week these days. If you can get some people together though, great. The more activity we get with this, the better.

Offline Shade

Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
I might (might being the operative word, I'm by no means certain) be able to log on for a game or two tonight, but I definitely won't be going past 11pm GMT even if I do.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline captain-custard

cool if you can make it that would be great , id love to play missions but i just dont know enough about them to run them properly , it would be nice if someone there has a good connection ........ mine isnt lol
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think 12 players is an actual limit with the netcode. The game code only supports 12 players in co-op anyway, if for no other reason than that you can't fit more than 12 ships on the selection screen.
A 16 player TvT should be possible in theory, but I have no idea if it would work.
I meant to code it in.
* Cole looks at kara.

The game set a maximum of 16 connections (Players + Observers + Standalone). It also sets a maximum of 12 players in MULTI_MAX_PLAYERS and MAX_PLAYERS.

Theoretically it should be possible to support 24 TvT players without altering the interface (itself a massive task) but given that the game has 300+ references to MAX_PLAYERS I wouldn't feel safe bumping the limits unless I knew that I wouldn't immediately break coop and dogfight by causing it to stupid things like try to assign Delta and Epsilon wings (+ one other) to loadout slots that don't exist.

My suspicion is that it would and the amount of work required to bump the limits would very quickly spiral out of control.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

I'm gonna have to pass :( Just too tired tonight.

Offline captain-custard

ok im gunnaq hang thee fo a while see whos around,

its good to take time to rest..............

Offline captain-custard

its saturday ............ whose  here tonight?

;) :D ;) :D

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I'll probably be showing up around 7:00 EST or so if there is still a game going on.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Anyone hosting?  I'll poke my nose in shortly.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline captain-custard

thanks for a great time last night , i had great fun respawning lol,

was just wondering if there is anyway we can organise to get voice communication working even if its using a 3rd party software like teamspeak as an example............

;)