Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 221426 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
It crashed again, but I see where the problem is now.  I'm not quite sure what to do about it though.  It seems to crash whenever you select a mission, with it having an issue with the filename for the mission.  What is the mission you are trying to set and what is it's filename?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
You're probably going to shoot me for this one.  I only had one file in the mission folder and it was a test mission that didn't work.  Fixing now. 

OK real missions now. 

Also notice a possible problem.  The server shows up when I run TBP multi. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 09:40:59 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
Also notice a possible problem.  The server shows up when I run TBP multi. 
Anything running on the same daemon will show up, regardless of the mod in use.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
OK I was able to create a game from one PC to the other with PXO turned on now.  Should have tried that in the first place.  Guess I should have used that old P3 866 I know it worked before.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I would use one of 3.6.10 builds but I think that would only create problems at this point, since we get a number of people who aren't registered here and would suddenly have trouble joining. It's best to just stick with 3.6.9 for our regular sessions until the official 3.6.10 release.

I might have a slightly extended session next week if people are available and interested, maybe starting a hour early or something. I retook that exam today and came out perfectly this time. Best feeling I've had in a long time, and it frees up some time for me over the next week or two. :)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Alas, I'm at work this Saturday.  Someone take a morningstar for me! =)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I would use one of 3.6.10 builds but I think that would only create problems at this point, since we get a number of people who aren't registered here and would suddenly have trouble joining. It's best to just stick with 3.6.9 for our regular sessions until the official 3.6.10 release.
After release is too late.  If you don't make full use of it now, and report any problems, then any problems you have with 3.6.10 now are only going to get worse when it's finally released.  I'm not saying that you should use it exclusively, but you need to use it as heavily as possible.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
A question: I just got a second-hand IBM Deathstar from my dad's office. It's from March 2000 and it's 32 GB. How reliable (or unreliable) are these? I ask because that's where FSO would go.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
After release is too late.  If you don't make full use of it now, and report any problems, then any problems you have with 3.6.10 now are only going to get worse when it's finally released.  I'm not saying that you should use it exclusively, but you need to use it as heavily as possible.

I see where you're coming from. What exactly happens if someone with 3.6.9 tries to join a 3.6.10 game? If they can at least get into the game, it would solve the problem since we could tell them to switch out their build right there. :)

At some point, you may want to have the website display servers from some designated 3.6.10 beta build though.

A question: I just got a second-hand IBM Deathstar from my dad's office. It's from March 2000 and it's 32 GB. How reliable (or unreliable) are these? I ask because that's where FSO would go.

Check what series it's from. If it's 60GXP or 75GXP, those are the bad ones. I have a dead one in my basement somewhere. The others should be okay.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Check what series it's from. If it's 60GXP or 75GXP, those are the bad ones. I have a dead one in my basement somewhere. The others should be okay.
How do I find that? It's not on the label AFAICT.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Shade

One solution we might use to get people to migrate to 3.6.10 would be for two people to each start a game, one that's the real game running 3.6.10, and another that's left up for 5 minutes before each mission running 3.6.9 solely for the purpose of telling people who join to grab 3.6.10 and join the real game. It would be a bit of a bother, certainly, but we'd only really need to do it for two weeks or so before the regulars are all using the new version. And if it means the quashing of bugs that might otherwise make it into 3.6.10, it'll be worth it in the end - Hell, I'll even volunteer to run the 'Help Desk' game.

Also, yeah, having the website display 3.6.10 instead of 3.6.9 would help too, since people often use that to see if they should bother logging on or not. Showing 0 people online when there's actually 7 people playing wouldn't help adoption.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
id be really happy to let ppl know in the week that its time to change over to the 3.6.10 for the multiplayer , i can do this in fs2net, just this weeks a bit of a problem as im at my mums and because theres no internet im having to piggy back wifi connections , so i dont think ill be in this saturday for the game so good luck ppl ,  ;) :D :D ;) :D
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Any way to make the website give a link to the 3.6.10 beta announcement?  With an offer that says "come help us test 3.6.10" or something?  IDK.. just something like that.. and put that notice wherever else FS2 online gamers congregate.

And, for future ref, shouldn't there be a way for the server to be set to give players a message?  ie "you are running 3.6.9 and the server is being hosted by 3.6.10 ... please check <insert FS2NetD website here> for more info."

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I just installed a new FS2NetD v.2 daemon version that allows it to also be displayed on the website.  It will now show up in the server list as "3.6.10 Test Server".  I also added in some more debugging code to try and track down the reason for the constant crashing (it all seems to be the same thing, just can't figure out exactly what triggers it).  The extra code should report exactly what the problem is, but should also try to recover from it so that the daemon doesn't crash as a result.

So, now there should be no more excuses to not be using the new builds/server. :)

Also, if you are sitting in the lobby then you will show up in the "Online Users" list on the website.  The server for the lobby and typical FS2NetD traffic is different however, so there is the possibility that the code will allow for a FS2NetD login to timeout if you sit in the lobby long enough.  If anyone notices that happening please let me know so that I can fix it.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
is there any way to make this show up on the FS2net viewer, i can see me on the website but i dont see me on the viewer, i use the viewer because i can chat while waiting or have i read this wrong and i need to download a new fs2net viewer....; if so where do i get it,

and thanks for the new test zone thats great , and the babylon project link

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Shade

I can't seem to get through to FS2Net when using a 3.6.10-based build. Do I need to change the port in the config file or something like that? I feel just like a noob again :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
is there any way to make this show up on the FS2net viewer, i can see me on the website but i dont see me on the viewer, i use the viewer because i can chat while waiting or have i read this wrong and i need to download a new fs2net viewer....; if so where do i get it,
That's totally up to the person that does the viewer.

I can't seem to get through to FS2Net when using a 3.6.10-based build. Do I need to change the port in the config file or something like that? I feel just like a noob again :p
The old config file is ignored, and the current connection values are hard-coded in the test builds.  But, it does connect to a different IP address (technically just "hard-light.net"), so check that your firewall isn't blocking it.

Also, you said a "3.6.10-based" build, which I assume means that you aren't using one of my Xt builds.  There shouldn't be a problem with that since the code in CVS should be the same, but check with an Xt build just to be sure.  If it works with an Xt build but not a normal 3.6.10 build from CVS then let me know and I'll get that fixed this weekend.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Is there any particular build that we should be using?

Offline Shade

I used an Xt build, the 12-07 one which is marked as 3.6.10 - some of your older Xt's are marked as 3.6.9 which is the reason for the -based part. Anyway, I'll try it quick with my firewall turned off and see what happens.

[Edit] No go without the firewall. Multi.log below, what little there is:

Code: [Select]
FreeSpace Multi Log - Opened Fri, Feb 15, 2008  at 06:44PM
----
----
----

02/15 18:44:09~   psnet_init() detected lan connection
02/15 18:44:09~   psnet_get_ip() reports IP : 0.0.0.0

02/15 18:44:09~   Receive buffer set to 4096

02/15 18:44:09~   Send buffer set to 4096

02/15 18:44:09~   Error on IPX startup 10047

02/15 18:44:09~   Network
02/15 18:44:09~   Found no RAS connections
02/15 18:44:40~   In psnet_use_protocol()
02/15 18:44:40~   Psnet : TCP broadcast

02/15 18:44:40~   Psnet using - NET_TCP

02/15 18:44:40~   multi_level_init()
02/15 18:44:40~   Invalid socket id passed to nw_NewCloseSocket() -- -1
02/15 18:44:43~   Failure from gethostbyname() for host 'gt.pxo.net'

----
----
----
FreeSpace Multi Log - Closing on Fri, Feb 15, 2008  at 06:44PM

[Edit again] The 10-28 3.6.10 build lets me log on, and shows me in the 3.6.10 Beta category on the website. Still, I wonder why the newer build isn't playing ball. Do you have one that isn't 2 months old I could try? I can't find any newer than the 12-07 one.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:11:43 pm by Shade »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Is there any particular build that we should be using?
Whatever works.  The FS2NetD code in my Xt builds has been largely unchanged in almost a year, so it should work with any available Xt build.  Most any build tagged at "3.6.10" should also work.

[Edit again] The 10-28 3.6.10 build lets me log on, and shows me in the 3.6.10 Beta category on the website. Still, I wonder why the newer build isn't playing ball. Do you have one that isn't 2 months old I could try? I can't find any newer than the 12-07 one.
I'm not sure if this is it or not, but at some point I did change the Xt builds to work with the config file again.  It's possible that this is the problem, going by the log file, and the 10/28 build was probably right before the switch.  The config file is the same as with retail, meaning that it's "multi.cfg", so see if that file exists.  If so then you can either try removing it and the hard-coded values will be forced, or just try replacing it with the attach cfg instead.  Except for the addition of the "+server_port" option it's the same options as with retail.  All of the options are used, even if the specific feature happens to be disabled in the build you may be using, so it is important to have it all set properly.

If it still doesn't work after that let me know.

[attachment deleted by ninja]