Author Topic: unable to start multiplayer, connection issue  (Read 4802 times)

unable to start multiplayer, connection issue
i cant seem to get to the multiplayer part of the game at all due to it saying i dont have my connection type setup. This is what it says exactly:

You have not defined your type of internet connection. Please run the launcher, hit the setup button, and go to network tab and choose your connection type.

thats what it says in the game when i ckick the multiplayer start area.

multi error log thing says this:

Freespace Multi Log - Opened Wed, Oct 03, 2007  at 09:06PM
----
----
----

10/03 21:07:00~   psnet_init() detected no connection
10/03 21:07:00~   psnet_get_ip() reports IP : 0.0.0.0

10/03 21:07:00~   Receive buffer set to 4096

10/03 21:07:00~   Send buffer set to 4096

10/03 21:07:00~   Error on IPX startup 10047

10/03 21:07:00~   Network
10/03 21:07:00~   Found no RAS connections

----
----
----
Freespace Multi Log - Closing on Wed, Oct 03, 2007  at 09:07PM

now in the launcher i do have network setup(i have tryed several possibilitys that arnt my real ones) even tho it says i dont. aslo my fs2open_pxo.cfg files are the same in both data folder and mediavps/data.
both are:

fs2netd.game-warden.com

the network setup that i have in the launcher is LAN/Direct connection, Dual channel ISDN, Cable Modems (i have a cable connection), under misc i have it forcing port 7808 atm because i read something that it was needed. also i have tryed without firewalls.

i am very new to the game so i will go through where i got it.

i downloaded the game from the first link on this page:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html

i tryed the launcher that just says launcher not the freespace2 launcher. i got an error so i tryed the freespace2 launcher. it started up but i could not play the game, that would error. it was saying something about it wont work in a root directory or something. i tryed changing the folder, and reinstalling but that didnt work. so i moved the launcher exe to somewhere else and clicked it and it worked. but this is the one that doesnt play the game. so then i tryed the freespace2 lanucher and it worked. i moved the other launcher back. and they both worked. i adjusted settings and tryed out single player. it has worked so far but trying to go to multiplayer gives me an error in game saying i dont have a connection type setup.

now back to this multiplayer problem. i searched around the best i could and what i found was this thread:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,43857.msg897936.html#msg897936

the first post almost has the same error message from the multi log as me, however nothing in the thread fixed my problem.

i friend pointed me to this game purely off the idea of playing together so any help would be nice. i dont know if he has the same problem or not at this time.

Re: unable to start multiplayer, connection issue
forgot to say i have windows xp, and i also setup my router based off these instructions:

http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:welcomeblue:  Go to the Launcher, and under the network section, select your type (prolly Cable) and speed (again, prolly Cable).  OFC, if you have DSL, select that.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Strange. This is the second time I've seen this problem in as many days.

http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4849

Answer the questions I put to him (You can do that here or on that thread if you wish).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

in the launcher(launcher version 5.5a) the registry and network tabs were blank. i clicked the browse button and selected fs2_open_3_6_9. that would give me an error and close the launcher. i went through it again but i changed the browse to see any exe and i selected FS2. this may have worked.. well at least now i have something under registry and network tabs. i adjusted my network settings(LAN/direct and Cable modem). in the registry, the networkconnection says the type is String and Data LAN.

under these settings when i go into the game i am able to get into the multiplayer area but now it gives me pxo errors and doesnt seem to detect any server.

when pxo is checked on in the options and i go to multiplayer it gives me a pxo error and says i cant play any tracker games. after that fails it seems to uncheck that in the options and saves. when i go back in without pxo checked it just says at the top "no server game server found". i am guessing that i need to be on fs2_open_3_6_9 and not FS2 with the launcher.

when i try loading fs2_open_3_6_9.exe in the launcher the error i get from windows is, Freespace Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close.

thanks for helping me

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
To be honest my suggestion is to simply run regedit, Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Volition -> Freespace2 and delete the whole damn folder.

Then run launcher.exe and choose FS2_Open_3_6_9.exe and set up everything again. I think it's likely that the messing around you did with the registry by running several different combinations of the two launchers and builds could have broken something.

That said it could simply be that you're running the mediaVPs and don't have a config file in mediavps\data. On second thoughts you might want to try that first. Follow the instructions here.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
now in the launcher i do have network setup(i have tryed several possibilitys that arnt my real ones) even tho it says i dont.

OK, someone shoot me again.  I appear not to function to awefully well when tired.  Sorry xenolunar, didn't see that bit.  :/

i went through those instructions for setting up the multiplayer before. but i went through them again anyway. my mediavps\data are correct.

then i tryed using regedit like you said and i deleted the folder. i used launcher.exe and tryed to load up fs2_open but it gave me that same error from windows saying the launcher had a problem and then it closes.

i tryed running the fs2_open_3_6_9_debug just to see what it would do but same problem.

i am getting the idea that the heart of my problem may have been whatever wasnt allowing me to startup the launcher in the first place or something related. but if i was to delete it all and run that downloader again i wouldnt even be able to use the launcher without moving it to another place first like i did before i assume.

thanks for doing what you can guys.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm, xenonlunar, you can make sure that your files are 100% the same as the ones that are working in every system installed by Turey, if you use the Instructions under my sig:

Troubleshoot FS2: MD5

ok i did what you asked and here is the link with the stuff:

http://www.hard-light.net.pastebin.com/m110e72a3

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
data\fs2open_pxo.cfg ERROR: Checksum did not match.
mediavps\data\fs2open_pxo.cfg ERROR: Checksum did not match.

Try changing it back to

fs2netd.game-warden.com

That's probably a non-issue. IIRC the config file on game-warden uses the IP address for the server rather than the name.

I can't think of any reason why the launcher would crash AFTER you select a build. Before is easy, corrupt launcher6.ini files will do that (you might as well delete that one and see what happens) but it shouldn't be having an effect after you've selected a build.

While you're at it, delete your launcher and use this one.

Let's get some things straight though, Don't touch the FS2 Retail launcher for now (Freespace2.exe), only use the FS2_Open one. Similarly don't touch FS2 Retail (FS2.exe) as it won't work on FS2NetD anyway and it gets confusing separating the bug reports from that from the real ones caused by FS2_Open not connecting.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 04:27:57 am by karajorma »

data\fs2open_pxo.cfg ERROR: Checksum did not match.
mediavps\data\fs2open_pxo.cfg ERROR: Checksum did not match.

even tho it said that, they both were

fs2netd.game-warden.com

i checked them again anyway and checked for extra spaces which there was one but after correcting that it still came up as a checksum mismatch.

i deleted the launcher6.ini. then i used regedit and deleted the freespace2 folder thinking that would help. i downloaded the launcher you suggested and put it in the folder. it did open up but when i went to load fs2_open same thing happened. windows had the error saying it had a problem and then it closes.

i did the checksum thing again after to see if that helps anyone.

http://www.hard-light.net.pastebin.com/m5a5a2dbe

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Turey's Installer puts the multi cfg files as an IP address instead of a site name.

Umm... where do you have FS2 Installed to?  If it's Desktop, My Documents, or anything under your profile (\Documents and Settings\...), move the folder elsewhere.  This may or may not be your problem.

@kara: is there a way to fix FS2 so it doesn't mind being in Desktop or My Documents?

its under C:\Games\Freespace2

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Can you get BSG and install that?  See if that will work for you... it uses the FS2 Launcher & engine.  If it works, something weird is going on.  If not, perhaps a corrupt file in Windows?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
@kara: is there a way to fix FS2 so it doesn't mind being in Desktop or My Documents?

Possibly but you shouldn't be installing games there in the first place. It's a very bad practice and it will cause you no end of problems if you ever try it on a roving profile! :eek:

I can't see any harm in trying out BtRL, TBP or WCS and seeing if they work. At the very least there is less that can go wrong with them. Make sure you delete the folder in the registry again before starting seeing as how all the stand alone campaigns use the same registry entries.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I can't see any harm in trying out BtRL, TBP or WCS and seeing if they work. At the very least there is less that can go wrong with them. Make sure you delete the folder in the registry again before starting seeing as how all the stand alone campaigns use the same registry entries.

IMHO, that also should be changed... perhaps have them use a sub-key of HKLM\SOFTWARE\Volition\FreeSpace2, eg \FreeSpace2\BtRL and \FreeSpace2\TBP and \FreeSpace2\WCS and \FreeSpace2\SF_SoL ...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Waste of time considering that for the amount of effort it would probably take you might as well get the game to work from .ini files.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Waste of time considering that for the amount of effort it would probably take you might as well get the game to work from .ini files.

-slated for

?

BSG worked for me..