Author Topic: German Voices  (Read 6002 times)

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
Hi Forum,

first of all....great work.....until a few days ago i knew nothing about the open source projekt......

now i run fs2 with 1600x1200 resolution and all efects on.....great!

but i have a problem. i´m german and i liked the voices of the german version. the translation voices are really great. haw can i activate them again?! after the turkey installer i´m not able to click on the "german" button in the configuration. furthermore i have to use the english fonts in order to get no errors in the HUD.

anyone can help?! i only want the voices.....text is not so important.....

thanks in advance
icey

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
ok.....i just installed fs2 original retail again, into the same dir as before.....i got a partial victory. the game itself, the special situation briefings and the text in all briefings is german. unfortunately the movie sounds are still english as well as the description of the fighters etc. in the tech-room.....

strange.....

edit: copied the movies into \data\movies and have them now back in german running.....now the only prob is still the text in tech room
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:40:18 pm by IceyJones »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You could always translate them yourself. :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

the techroom descriptions are in data/tbl/ships.tbl. you could copy them from a German ships.tbl to the used one (with a good editor it wont take that long)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
the techroom descriptions are in data/tbl/ships.tbl. you could copy them from a German ships.tbl to the used one (with a good editor it wont take that long)

There's no such thing as a German ships.tbl. The game always uses the English version. What does happen in the German version is that the game notices the number after the text in the table and then displays the corresponding German text from TStrings.tbl

IceyJones, when you reinstalled the game you'll have overwritten your 1.2 version of the Tstrings.tbl with the version on the CD (which I presume is v1.0). I happen to know for a fact that the v1.0 TStrings.tbl was incomplete and that is the probable cause of your problem with the techroom. Make a copy of your root_fs2.vp file and then go to my FAQ and grab the HOTU crack pack from the downloads section. Inside you'll find a replacement version of that file that should give you the German techroom back.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
thanks 2 all....i found the mistake. i installed some single addons (now i know that i would not have need to do that) and in one of them were some tbl-files. i just deleted them and everything is fine now. everything in german....

br
icey

Wow, FS2 had a complete German voiceover? What did their Snipes sound like?  :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Forget Snipes, what was Cordova like? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The Colossus' CO? :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Crappy. That's why I got me an English version via ebay.

They only did german voice-overs for the ingame chatter an the command briefings. The mission briefings are text-only, which sucked.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
right....but in the mission briefings i dont need the voices....main thing are the in mission comunications. with german voices i don´t need to read the text because of damn slang english i cannot understand  :D

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
believe me if you begin to play other campaines you learn to read the textes and use f4 if the text disappear to fast, in the missions :).

and if you use the english stu_fs2.vp, you got the german text and the english voices, its the best compromise, in my opinion.

to the voices: the german version of petrach sound imho better as the english one, in german he sound older and more powerfull as in english.
the communication officer or co of the colossus sound imho really identical to the english orginal speaker, bored and frustrated ;).
spikes sound cool in german, too :D.
but the rest of the voices i prefer the english ones.

and yes its sucks that in german the briefings and the debriefings doesnt have voice  :mad:

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
His name is Snipes. :P

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
after the turkey installer
Wow. No one noticed this?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers

Dang it we were all just being quite about it.  Now there goes tomorrows dinner....
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

I noticed it. However, considering that my username came from me misspelling turkey at one point, I thought it appropriate. Plus, Thanksgiving.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I keep forgetting that you Americans are like a month behind the times.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
snipes sounds good.

But FS1 and FS2 (I own FS1 / FS2 several times, in multiple languages) had a crappy translation :mad:, especially FS1. It seems like it was done by some ragtag beginner's company  ;) , and the voice_actors couldn't really speak German after all.

Example:
"We are readying four Toths to help you" (mission before the last one)
Now in the German version, somebody screwed up the names and (JUST IN THAT SINGLE LINE) the Bastion readies four "Ulysses" to help me but of course Toths appear.

FS2 had a much better selection of voices and the translation was much better, in some ways even superior. But, like in the first game, they choose to save some money and forget about the Briefings and Debriefings. :mad:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de

I noticed it. However, considering that my username came from me misspelling turkey at one point, I thought it appropriate. Plus, Thanksgiving.

sorry...was a mistake ;)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
It's OK. Cause Turey is a turkey. :D

@ Turey: Oh, and if you misspelled turkey, why are you telling everyone that Turey is the diminutive form of Turambar?