Author Topic: Aftermath of Capella  (Read 16638 times)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Both the deimos and the maloch were vaporized and from the cutscene we can clearely see that the planets get blasted to pieces also! So that means Sathanai surviving supernova equal 0% chances. The 2 corvettes survived the first shockwave which from what we can see is not that hot but it is increadibly powerfull from a kinetic POV after that come the heat blast.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Still doesn't answer the question of weather ships could survive in hyperspace during the blast.  If they could survive in hyperspace then they could get far enough away from the blast.  Then they return to normal space and begin gas mining operations almost immediately. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What means "hyperspace"?

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is all debatable since the was no jump point near the Capella star for the shivans to go through. Also we see multiple Sathani jumping out at great distances from one another that leads me to believe that either the shivans used the mother of all subspace nodes and the GTVA was so dumb they could not discover it whch is too incredible even for command.

Or the shivans used the exploding star to create the mother of all jumpnodes. such a huge and powerfull jumpnode either leads from one part of the galaxy to the other or from one galaxy to another both of them equali plausible. But a return trip via the same route is imposible since there shouldnt be any star left there or node of equal size as to the one they created. So it was a one way trip.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Or the shivans used the exploding star to create the mother of all jumpnodes. such a huge and powerfull jumpnode either leads from one part of the galaxy to the other or from one galaxy to another both of them equali plausible. But a return trip via the same route is imposible since there shouldnt be any star left there or node of equal size as to the one they created. So it was a one way trip.

Snail supports this theory. :yes:

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
What about the hyperspace / subspace whatever you want to call it that is used for in-system jumps where you don't need a jump node?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope that usualy takes a couple of seconds the Sathani would of been out of subspace just in time for the Blast wave to hot them asuming they went as far as they could meaning the very outer edge of the sistem. In which case they were fried .

Ppl seem to underestimate the destructive power of a supernova. Hell the GTVA could build 1 billion helioses bombs detonate them all at once and they still wouldnt amount to the full destructive power of a supernova.

Ppl. A supernova  destroyes planets and everithing ina solar sistem and way beyond they are huge.

The sathani jumped out far far away from capella that is the only plausible theory. If they were stupid enougfh to try and escape the blast by jumping to the outer edge of the sistem then they are gone in which case the GTVA would have no more to fear from the Sathani armada.

However the shivans sure as hell dont care about theyr fighters and bommbers and cap ships when it comes to taking the enemy out but they are not stupid enough to blow op such a massive fleet for no good reason. They are not GTVA command.

Allright enough with the command jokes.

No even for the shivans the loss of over 80 Sathanas would be major if not huge military loss. They may be bad they may have multiple legs but they are not infinite they just appear that way.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline eliex

Geez, it's an exploding star!   :D

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No even for the shivans the loss of over 80 Sathanas would be major if not huge military loss. They may be bad they may have multiple legs but they are not infinite they just appear that way.

No proof of that. In fact, there is evidence to the contrary.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Still doesn't answer the question of weather ships could survive in hyperspace during the blast.  If they could survive in hyperspace then they could get far enough away from the blast.  Then they return to normal space and begin gas mining operations almost immediately. 

I've always thought that a possibility. Capella has 3 other stars in the system, two of which are over a LY away. Since they are still within the system technically they might be within the range of an intrasystem jump. They could wait a year and then jump back to the nebula without meeting the shockwave. Or they could simply ride it out there.

Or they could have gone back out through Gamma Draconis.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
WTF? In-game Capella has one sun. I've never seen other suns in the missions nor the ani's.
RL Capella means zilch.

IIRC; inter-systems jumps are limited within the boundires of a system, and a supernove blast is far greater than that. Also the time in-subspace for those jumps is mesured in seconds. Not Years. Also, there is nothing in FS canon that even suggests ships can stay in subspace as long as they want.
If they could, ships that are trying to hide behind enemy lines would simply wait in subspace.

It doesn't matter where in the system the Saths were to jump, even if they in some miracolous way escape the blast they'll get cooked alive.

Also, I somehow doubt shivans made a uber-jump-node, for something that huge would get detected. The GTVA has science cruisers and other ships in the systems. They would detect a uber-jumpnode.
MY theory is that something simply went wrong. Just look how many ships shivans lost in Capella (and it's a good chance they lost them ALL). If they were planing to blow it up, why didn't they pull out other ships (like the Moloch and the fighters). The Moloch was apparently caught by surprise, and so were the saths.

I guess they were probably testing a new weapon, but it went off prematurely. Controling a suns explosion precisely seems a too big of a challenge even for htem.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Also, I somehow doubt shivans made a uber-jump-node, for something that huge would get detected. The GTVA has science cruisers and other ships in the systems. They would detect a uber-jumpnode.

It was detected.

Quote from: Their Finest Hour Command Briefing
A Subspace Anomaly

Over 80 Shivan Juggernauts are now in position around the Capella sun. Science vessels monitoring their activity have detected an anomalous subspace field rippling from the Juggernaut fleet. Though we can barely detect the field with our instruments, its intensity has been increasing slowly over the past seventy-two hours. We have known since the Great War that the Shivans possess advanced subspace technologies, but this field goes beyond our wildest speculations. The Shivans may be powering up a new kind of weapon, the likes of which we have never before encountered.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Also the time in-subspace for those jumps is mesured in seconds. Not Years. Also, there is nothing in FS canon that even suggests ships can stay in subspace as long as they want.

Yes but the blast wave would take a year to travel a LY since it travels at the speed of light. :p

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

It was detected.

No. Unusual subspace activity was detected, but not a node. The GTVA knows how to spot a node, especially a massive one.

Yes but the blast wave would take a year to travel a LY since it travels at the speed of light.
So? Where would they go?
Assuming they jump to the edges and then later jump back towards the center of the system to "skip" the blastwave as it's coming towards them, the system is now super-hot..it's a deathtrap. They got nowhere to go (unless they somehow managed to get to the GD node, assuming it's still there)

Still, the supernova doesn't look like a planned action when you look at the final cutscene. The shivies lost too much ships themselves.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No. Unusual subspace activity was detected, but not a node. The GTVA knows how to spot a node, especially a massive one.

Who says it doesn't take months of careful subspace experiments to detect a new node? It certainly took the GTVA ages to find the Knossos in the nebula and whatever the Shivans were doing to Capella might have resulted in a node that had a different signature from a standard node. What makes you think massive nodes and standard nodes look the same on whatever the GTVA use for node detection? What makes you so certain that the subspace field that the Shivans created wasn't jamming GTVA node detection equipment anyway?

Finally Petrach in effect says it might be a massive node. He could be wrong but it's a pretty good certainty that he knew more about jump nodes than you or I do.

Yes but the blast wave would take a year to travel a LY since it travels at the speed of light.
So? Where would they go?
Assuming they jump to the edges and then later jump back towards the center of the system to "skip" the blastwave as it's coming towards them, the system is now super-hot..it's a deathtrap. They got nowhere to go (unless they somehow managed to get to the GD node, assuming it's still there)

The blast was the old Praxis wave style blast that is so loved in sci-fi. Above and below the plane of the system would be fairly clear of nebula gas.

Offline Kie99

Unless Capella had an extremely small star, the blast wave was travelling at way higher than the speed of light.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think that's definitely artistic licence and nothing more.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
It'd be just like Gamma Draconis wouldn't it? Nothing there but cold empty space . . .
Very cold too, because there's no SUN!!

The nebula system has a sun! So scratch the supernova idea!
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Who says it doesn't take months of careful subspace experiments to detect a new node? It certainly took the GTVA ages to find the Knossos in the nebula and whatever the Shivans were doing to Capella might have resulted in a node that had a different signature from a standard node. What makes you think massive nodes and standard nodes look the same on whatever the GTVA use for node detection? What makes you so certain that the subspace field that the Shivans created wasn't jamming GTVA node detection equipment anyway?

The Knossos in the nebula was IN THE NEBULA. Ya know, limiting sensors, almost blind and all that jazz?
It's possible that the super-node is somewhat different from the normal one, but if it uses the same underlaying travel principle it should be detectable in the same way.
And why would the shivans be jamming anything. the GTVA clearly detected the subspace field and appranetly the shivans really weren't bothered with the forward observer units that observed the process.. which likely means that hey didn't really care for secrecy.

Occam Razor, which many here like so much, points towards a simpler solution.

The blast was the old Praxis wave style blast that is so loved in sci-fi. Above and below the plane of the system would be fairly clear of nebula gas.

That's like saying that the new planar shockwave(and I hate it) doesn't damage you if the "ring" passes below or over you and doesn't hit you directly :lol:
My bet is they ran for the GD node. It's not like they got anything else to do in Capella anyway.

The nebula system has a sun! So scratch the supernova idea!
Maby the system had 2 suns and only one went kabloie. Interesting tough...what effect would a supernova have in a binary or trinary system?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
And why would the shivans be jamming anything. the GTVA clearly detected the subspace field and appranetly the shivans really weren't bothered with the forward observer units that observed the process.. which likely means that hey didn't really care for secrecy.

I didn't say the Shivans were jamming it deliberately. I was saying that whatever the Shivans were doing to create the node could jam any signals that a node would cause. If the creation of a node causes a massive subspace disturbance how the **** are you going to detect the small subspace disturbance that a node causes.

And I notice that you didn't address my main point. How do you know how long it takes to detect a node. It could take months of work. The fact that at the start of the war the systems beyond Laramis were unexplored suggests that too.

Occam Razor, which many here like so much, points towards a simpler solution.

All you've proved with that sentence is that you don't understand what Occam's Razor is or how to use it. It can not be used like you just tried to use it. It only works when both theories explain the same data. These do not since they both rest on fundamental assumption neither of which have supporting data.

So I suggest you go and re-read what Occam's Razor is before you attempt to use it on me.

That's like saying that the new planar shockwave(and I hate it) doesn't damage you if the "ring" passes below or over you and doesn't hit you directly :lol:

No. It's like saying that Supernovae don't have to be spherical explosions. Whatever caused the Capellan supernova doesn't have to have created one. Parking 1 AU in polar orbit around what used to be Capella might be perfectly safe.

And that's before we get to the fact that I'm still not convinced that the nebula gas would be anywhere near as hot as you claim it would be. The gas in a real nebula is much more spread out than in an FS2 nebula and cools down a lot quicker.

My bet is they ran for the GD node. It's not like they got anything else to do in Capella anyway.

I tend to think that's what they did if they were making a new nebula for resources. IF they were making a new node I doubt that's what they did at all.