Author Topic: Aftermath of Capella  (Read 16628 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Petrarch also expressed the same views that they used it as a way of returning home.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Just went back and played the beginning of FS1.  It clearly states that we started exploring the galaxy before subspace was discovered.  When it was we gained access to the galaxy and beyond.   This indicates that not only could we travel beyond a system by normal means but by regular subspace. It also suggest travel beyond our galaxy using it.   Either it's a big plot screw up or regular travel = fast, subspace = faster, nodes = ?????. 

Also the very intro to FS1 suggests the Shivans were able to hang out in subspace while the poor pilot tried to make it back to base.  He was in normal space with them pursuing.  They jumped in only after the Terran base was in range. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Petrach believed it at least and he no doubt had access to information we don't.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Well, he's an ADMIRAL, after all. He's probably got up to Level Upsilon clearance, while we're stuck at Level Phi or Rho.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Who's talking about outside the system anyway? Capella H is inside the system. That's why it's called Capella H not some other name. We have no idea if Shivan in-system drives can reach that far.

Capella H? What are you talking about? FS2 Capella has only ONE star, and shivans are tied by the same subspace laws as us humies are. They are just as dependant on nodes for travel outside of systems as we are.

As far as Petrachs speech goes..he was theorizing..using the words MABY ..implying he didn't know either. Which makes sense, since he was giving the speech just shortly after Capella blew, so I doubt he would already by privy to all the scan data from Capella - such data first has to be processed, analyzed and cleared by Command.

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Petrach knows more about subspace than you do. And he considers it possible. So when you say it's not possible you're wrong.

I don't think anything more really needs to be said than that.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Possible? Who said it's not possible?

I said the Petrach speculates himself meaning he doesn't know what they actually did out there. Learn to read...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Learn to read...

He can read.

Petrarch, in-universe, is an Admiral and has access to more information than you do. Ever heard that "all other information is classified level xxx" crap before? He probably doesn't run into that much.

In addition, Petrarch's speech at the end, from an out-of-universe point of view, is the epilogue to the game. What kind of an evil soul/ass hat would put lies at the end of the game?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I said the Petrach speculates himself meaning he doesn't know what they actually did out there. Learn to read...

His guess is more likely to correct than yours.

Especially since you continually load every single assumption in your favour and then claim that it means that whatever assertion you made at the start of the discussion is the most likely correct one.

You've made a bunch of ridiculous assumptions that the GTVA could detect a node. Petrach might have a briefing in front of him stating that they did for all you know.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You're reading too much into it.

Petrarch speech is just that - a speech. Not a tech room, scientific analysis.
He CLEARLY states that the GTVA doesn't know what the f** shivan did there, but he does speculate on the motives.

Speculations of a in-game charachters are not canon fact unless confirmed. Was Bosch correct in everything he thought about the shivies? We don't know. And he was much more secure in his beliefs than Petrarch is.

And yes, I've seen many games and movies end with "false information"..if you could even call it like that.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
However I doubt he would be speculating about something which is as unlikely as you like to claim it is.

Offline eliex

I agree with that.  ;)

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.

Geez, it's an exploding star!   :D
It's an imploding star.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Imploding, and then exploding star...

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
This may be completely incorrect, but

I think all the saths were going to jump to another part of the galaxy or another galaxy with a super-node. They activated a prototype technology and all of a sudden the sun went nova, they made an in-system jump to gamma-draconis and warped out as fast as possible, some of the saths tried to warp to theire destination but it didn't work and they were taken by the nova, it was a premeture star (or the star wasn't big enough, or both) and their hulls maintained together for a few seconds (but all life inside was extinguished) and would have blown up, but before that happened a great big subspace eruption blew a tremendously powerful explotion that incinirated the entire ship in less than a second. Only 20 or so of the ships survived, the super-nova was far to quick for all the ships to warp to gamma-draconis and the nova reached them.

No saths are in Capella, the nova has since receeded into a nebula, though still hot, and in years to come, they will send a force here to see what happened, and start mining the nebula gas. Command may open the portal with a knosses device and the ships that travel their will get continuous (though maybe not suvere) damage from the heat (maybe like a maxim firing continuously, or an Lred) and won't stay long.

Offline eliex

Like, aren't Shivans tired of dying in their billions, to a far more tactical alliance?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Like, aren't Shivans tired of dying in their billions, to a far more tactical alliance?

I don't think the Shivans were out to get the GTVA in FS2, simply to start the supernova. If they were out to get the GTVA they could easily have sent their Sathanes into GTVA space, but not one of the Saths canonically tried to do so.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
He makes a point :nod:

The sathanas is many times more powerful then the lucifer, half a dozen could smash the GTVA so bad their fossils would face BFRs :eek:

But they simply went straight to capella's star, they didn't try to engage GTVA fleets, only a few warships to keep the GTVA at bay.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Hmm...then that does leave their motives a mystery. Maybe ngtm1r can help.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Maybe ngtm1r can help.

I have a theory too. :(