Author Topic: The Capella Supernova  (Read 11811 times)

Offline eliex

The Capella Supernova

What if the Sathanas fleet never made it to the Capella star?
What if the Arthur Roemig of the NTC Trinity never defected to the Neo Terran Front?

Would the Shivans have retreated if the Capella sun went supernova before their Sathanas fleet could do something with their
subspace drives to find another way back home?

In one of the Bosch monologues, you can see clearly the Capella star is building up it's supernova stages - is it that the Capella star is going supernova on it's own - or that the Shivan presence in the Gamma Draconis magically makes the star react so badly . . .

It's just that it has never occurred to me . . . it's not canon is it?

Re: The Capella Supernova
I doubt that the star seen in the Bosch monologue is Capella. Capella is one of the GTVA's largest colonies; Bosch would not risk "hiding" in such a system. Besides, that star has a black hole next to it... Capella doesn't.

Another thing: Capella in FS is a yellow star similar to Sol. Such stars do not, ever, go supernova. They aren't large enough. The Capella Supernova is therefore artifcial in nature, not natural at all.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Then the GTVA have sealed off Gamma Draconis. But when the Sathanas never exist at all, maybe the GTVA was able to wipe out the Shivans completely. Except the Shivans have a Lucifer fleet :D

What if the Arthur Roemig of the NTC Trinity never defected to the Neo Terran Front?
Then Bosch has send another ship. It's an important mission for Neo-Terra, so it's an honour to follow Bosch's orders.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Another thing: Capella in FS is a yellow star similar to Sol. Such stars do not, ever, go supernova. They aren't large enough. The Capella Supernova is therefore artifcial in nature, not natural at all.

I somehow doubt [V] paid much attention to that. We have no idea of the mass of the Capella star in FS universe.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

surly the color is some indication of it's mass?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

If Arthur Roemig never defected to the NTF Bosch would have sent another ship. That ship could have failed and the Shivans may never have reached Capella.

I doubt that would ever happen, unless the GTVA managed to effectively close down the Knossos or nuke the Gamma Draconis node. If that happened I expect the Shivans would have gone back to go somewhere else or find an alternative route.

Would the Shivans have retreated if the Capella sun went supernova before their Sathanas fleet could do something with their subspace drives to find another way back home?

I think they knew what they were doing and they weren't stupid enough to make that mistake. The Sathanes which did not jump either sacrificed themselves for the other Sathanes or did not have enough energy left to make the jump (you can see they look 'dead' since they lose their red glow).

In one of the Bosch monologues, you can see clearly the Capella star is building up it's supernova stages - is it that the Capella star is going supernova on it's own - or that the Shivan presence in the Gamma Draconis magically makes the star react so badly . . .

Like Dark Hunter, I doubt it was the Capella star in that monologue. I doubt as well that it was a black hole. It may have been Sirius A and B which is a binary system, but that may have been under GTVA control at the time, I don't remember.

IMO, the Capella in FS wasn't the Capella in real life. Another star in real-life was renamed to 'Capella II' for some reason and then people started informally calling it 'Capella' until it was actually known collectively, as Capella.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The color of Capella in FS - yellow - indicates it's similar to our sun, Sol.

So no, it would never go supernova naturally.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
assuming things work similary to our universe...maby..

I'm rusty on that aspect of astronomy..
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You didn't read my post, did you?

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Our sun is yellow?! It looks white to me  :lol:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's a yellow dwarf -- I believe off the top of my head that Sol is a G2 star.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I always thought The Sun was a newspaper or something.

Offline eliex

No . . . according to my astro books, it showed a diagram similar to what was happening to the Capella star, a little loop occurring near the star itself, which was what the Capella star was happening when Bosch was looking out of his Iceni.  :p

What I think is that Volition wanted to make a point - it's a cutscence not the actual battle itself.   :D

:lol:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, you're wrong. You're thinking of a nova, not a supernova.

Novas occur when a large amount of matter in a binary pair collides with one of the members of the pair -- I think.

What Bosch is looking at out of the Iceni is not Capella; it is an unknown star with a black hole partner.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What Bosch is looking at out of the Iceni is not Capella; it is an unknown star with a black hole partner.

That wasn't a black hole. If it was a black whole, it would be black. :P

No . . . according to my astro books, it showed a diagram similar to what was happening to the Capella star, a little loop occurring near the star itself, which was what the Capella star was happening when Bosch was looking out of his Iceni.  :p

What you're thinking of is a Type 1a Supernova.

That was almost definitely not Capella. If it was Capella, we would have seen the accretion disk around the secondary companion, which we do not see in any of the missions set in Capella. We do see this accretion disk in the binary star system (albeit kind of an ugly version :P).

In addition, in the ending cutscene, there is no accretion disk. One more thing: If there was an accretion disk around one of the secondary companions of Capella, then there would be a high probability of a supernova. If so, then why the hell is it so heavily populated? Has Command ascended to the infinite level of stupidity? :lol:

I stand by my opinion that the star in that monologue was Sirius.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ah, you're probably correct. A neutron star instead of a black hole, I'd guess?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That's one possibility. The other is that one of the stars is starting to die, and the gas is being transferred from one of the stars to the other, forming an accretion disk (a ring of gas) around the secondary star, exactly like the one seen in that monologue. When this continues for long enough, the primary star will explode.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
White Dwarf

But anyways even if there is a black hole of companion star new theories suggests they are not always in a feeding stage.  Heck the star we see could be the one that is feeding, just quit a few years ago, and is about to go nova.  (assuming the companion star is hidden behind it) 

Back to the original reason I was going to reply.  Even if the star is not about to go supernova or never would if left undisturbed the Shivans could theoretically cause it to do so by draining off the hydrogen and helium needed to support it.  The balance between gravity and (oh great forgot the term for the moment.  Dang that last beer.)  would be disturbed and the star would collapse under it's own gravity which is the first stage of a supernova. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I do not believe Capella would have gone supernova if not for the Shivan's interference.

I always thought The Sun was a newspaper or something.

It's called the Calgary Sun. A newspaper in Calgary, Alberta, Canada...my dad reads it all the time. They call it the sun because they release a new paper every sunday...
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.