Author Topic: Old Games on New Hardware  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Roanoke

Old Games on New Hardware
Been getting some problems playing some of my older games on my new 7600GT. Aliens has sound looping issues and the display is completley distorted and C&C Tib. Sun has occasional CTDs. Both worked fine before on my old G4MX so I figure the GPU is the most likely. Both have been reinstalled without any improvement. First thought is drivers but that seems unlikely as the games predate the card - never been in that situation before.....and I don't fancy playing with the GPU install for the sake of a few old games.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Re: Old Games on New Hardware
Why don't you build a "nostalgia rig" to play your old games? That way you get the most out of your old parts. I think I used up my old Radeon because every time there something fancier than the desktop, the rig reboots... :(

I think I have a old voodoo card around somewhere... I should try that one... Thought I am planning to upgrade the GPU on this here uber rig, so I might switch the GPU from this to the nostalgia rig and see how that works...

My point being; there should be an abundance of old parts everywhere. Saves one a helluva lot of tinkering when one can play old games with machines they were coded for...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Yup, PC parts from a few years back can be found plenty for almost no money. I recently rebuilt one of my old PCs with a 500 MHz P2 with two Voodoo2 cards in SLI mode for some retro Glide gaming goodness.

Installing Win98 SE on such an oldish machine lets you play almost anything from old DOS games up to games from around 2000.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
My last nostalgia rig was a P2 400 with 64MB PC-133 (iirc) and an onboard Rage 3D Pro. All running Win98SE without any updates. It's sort of not running right now... but that's because my attention has been on my new computer.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I have a K6-2 500, and some Voodoo 3s lying around.. haven't touched them much lately, though.. After I found D2X-XL, I really didn't need them.  Plus, I now have Virtual PC, DosBox, and a pretty decent Glide emulator... so.  :D