Author Topic: renegade "vae victis" project: need help.  (Read 91848 times)

Offline starlord

Re: renegade "vae victis" project: need help.
I'm gonna gave to see if my source has succeeded in finding the interceptor briefs. Dread: I thought I saw kessrith designs in one of the briefs (kessrith exclusive). Can you confirm?

Also, I was thinking about the beams, If we have problems spacing them correctly, why not make them even thinner? (real "needle" beams)?

Offline starlord

I think I've got the last maps I can locate: They give us very interesting info regarding the yolentrov and the rift counties (we already have finor, shannedam and keserdal). Unfortunately, it looks as though we wil have nothing more (aside perhaps from a few references in the briefings like "new dogger bank").

Here are the pages: http://members.tripod.com/~Rintel/Data/Campaign3a.htm
and here: http://members.tripod.com/~Rintel/Data/mapst2.htm

That's about all the material we can scavenge.

You do realize that those two maps are some "some guys" campaign and are therefore completely un-official. I don't know whether they made up those systems or whether they're actually drawing information from an official map. But the only sourcebook released for RL was Shannedam county as far as I'm aware.

I think I've got the last maps I can locate: They give us very interesting info regarding the yolentrov and the rift counties (we already have finor, shannedam and keserdal). Unfortunately, it looks as though we wil have nothing more (aside perhaps from a few references in the briefings like "new dogger bank").

Here are the pages: http://members.tripod.com/~Rintel/Data/Campaign3a.htm
and here: http://members.tripod.com/~Rintel/Data/mapst2.htm

That's about all the material we can scavenge.

Offline starlord

Well, if you look at page 70, you'll notice the finnor and kerseldal maps (over and under the shannedam systems), so what if it was official? anyhow, this might help us (me thinks).

After all, why wait: Here are all the leviathans (nicely given by thomassen) ina 7.z file. Download them here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/41651170/9b4170c3/renegade_leviathans.html?dirPwdVerified=380ccc6c

have fun!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:16:54 am by starlord »

Offline starlord

Excellent news: Space ranger from starshattermods has emerged again and has confirmed he has the 2 fighter briefings: I suppose you will soon discover fighter galore. :lol:

This leaves only the tank briefing now.

Offline starlord

I'm gonna go back on the "very very very" pointy topic of uneven armour.

If uneven armour is impossible, are uneven shields possible?

It would seem as though several interceptors are weaker on one or several quadrant of armour (i.e: the penetrator is strong fore and aft, but half as strong armour wise on the sides, which means the pilots must take this into account an plan attacks accordingly).

If uneven armour is impossible, could we recreate that feeling by using uneven shields?

Also (even if it will come into the fray much later, and I'm pretty sure of the answer (WCSAGA)), can fighters have stealth devices (go invisible like the stakhra in wing commander)?

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Both are impossible right NOW... ;) but it's something I'm thinking about how to do (someday).  WCSaga also wants uneven armor/shields.

Question: in Interceptor, was there a difference between 'armor' and 'hull', i.e. you only started taking system damage when the armor of a particular side was punched through?

As for stealth / cloak devices... yes and no.  WCSaga's method uses some pretty clever in-mission scripting, and of course you don't fly the Strakha yourself -- I'm not even sure if it works properly for a player.  Ideally someday it would be coded into the engine, but as it involves graphics code it's way out of my league.

Hooray about the materials! :yes:

Both are impossible right NOW... ;) but it's something I'm thinking about how to do (someday).  WCSaga also wants uneven armor/shields.

Question: in Interceptor, was there a difference between 'armor' and 'hull', i.e. you only started taking system damage when the armor of a particular side was punched through?

Armour is purely armour. You take armour damage, then take system damage, then you die.
      Though technically, under the template weapon style . . . the system damage is really armour/systems. So to be really specific, each fighter has a set amount of boxes which both absorb damage and physically represent systems taking damage. When the box is hit, the system is likewise damaged. On top of that, each ship/fighter has a variable amount of armour which takes damage and doesn't affect the ship itself. If that makes sense.

Offline starlord

I can understand his question: For instance: x com interceptor has 3 protective layers: shields, armour and hull.

Although in interceptor, only shields and armour are taken into account.

Offline starlord

Next week I'm going to launch a recruitment thread at classicbattletech forums: With a bit of luck, things will get going ahead a bit more. :nod:

Wake of the Kraken has a few new designs for all sides, though no artwork to go with it. Nightshift Game's reinforcements also has a few variants for both interceptor and leviathan.

There also seems to be an inherent turret limit of 19 turrets (average of say 7 turrets) firing at any one target in the source code which means that if a RL ship had a 100 bay split into 10 10s then it would never fire all 10 of them which is kinda lame (see 4 turret limit thread).  Though not sure how hard/stable it would be to change that in the code.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 03:40:32 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline starlord

Interesting: can you give me more info on the kraken designs? Are there some of them we didn't see already?

Also, Those limits might give us some hard time...

Interesting: can you give me more info on the kraken designs? Are there some of them we didn't see already?

Also, Those limits might give us some hard time...

The Kraken book just gives stats, not pictures or anything. Here's what's in the book:

Renegade/Commonwealth Leicester Class Freighter
Renegade/Commonwealth Republic Class Battleship
Renegade/Commonwealth Raptor Class Carrier
Kess-Rith Gav'Rosk Class Cruiser
TOG Skinner Class Tender

There's also a modified Valiant Class Frigate serving as a personal transport for a Commonwealth royal.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Limits successfully destroyed.  Returning to base :D

Limits successfully destroyed.  Returning to base :D

Already? That was fast

Offline starlord

oh wait: I got it wrongly: Remember I proposed something regarding those bays: Take a 100 bay, I sort of anticipated it would not fire all 100 guns at a ship at once  :D I proposed a pattern like this: cannon 1 fires, cannon 2 fires... cannon 20 fires/cannon 1 stops, cannon 21 fires/cannon 2 stops...

We'll just have to modify the pattern in order for cannon 1 to stop firing when cannon 10 fires, and so on. It could still be very impressive.

Wow: A freighter in RL: That's not something you see every day: I think we'll take those referrences (who knows, some things like the raptor carrier (could be a cruiser carrier to equal the TOG cicero). I don't know what the republic ccould do though (but who knows), the gav'rosk could serve in case someone wants to create a kess'rith front campaign (a lot of kess'rith ships we have no idea of). On the other hand, what's a tender?

oh wait: I got it wrongly: Remember I proposed something regarding those bays: Take a 100 bay, I sort of anticipated it would not fire all 100 guns at a ship at once  :D I proposed a pattern like this: cannon 1 fires, cannon 2 fires... cannon 20 fires/cannon 1 stops, cannon 21 fires/cannon 2 stops...

We'll just have to modify the pattern in order for cannon 1 to stop firing when cannon 10 fires, and so on. It could still be very impressive.

Wow: A freighter in RL: That's not something you see every day: I think we'll take those referrences (who knows, some things like the raptor carrier (could be a cruiser carrier to equal the TOG cicero). I don't know what the republic ccould do though (but who knows), the gav'rosk could serve in case someone wants to create a kess'rith front campaign (a lot of kess'rith ships we have no idea of). On the other hand, what's a tender?

A tender is a repair ship. Basically like a repair dock but mobile.
      The Republic is a beast with 325 guns per side (various calibers), type E Spinal, type E Missile, maximum armour, etcetera.
      The KessRith are nominally allied with the Commonwealth/Renegade Legions, since they're on the brink of defeat at the hands of TOG too. Some KessRith designs are therefore in service with the Commonwealth navy. Some have Kessrith crews, some do not as far as I know. There's at least one Kessrith-designed cruiser in the capital ship briefing. There's also stats for a VLCA (Very Large Communication Array). Or, more accurately the core since the array is like a massive pencil-thin radar dish type thing. The freighter stats are a little abbreviated but, it's enough.

Offline starlord

Very interesting: Perhaps the republic will appear as a test design in the later stages.

In the meanwhile, there is still the bay problem: Would my solution work or not?

Very interesting: Perhaps the republic will appear as a test design in the later stages.

In the meanwhile, there is still the bay problem: Would my solution work or not?

Thing is you can only have 10 firepoints on any one turret. So you can't do the 20 gun firing thing. What you could do, is have that same thing but on a turret by turret basis. So like, each of the ten firepoints fires, and when the tenth one fires, the 1st ones stops, then the second, then the third (so 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 fires . . then 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 stops firing). But beyond that the turrets will fire whenever they want to whether they're firing beams, or my simulated-beams (ala Lucifer).

Offline starlord

Yes, that's what I meant!

But won't this pose problems with the most powerful broadside ships? (venatrix, dreadnaught super ship, and now the republic)? You told me those were going over the turret limit (If we take the 10 turret bay model). Unless it is possible to make a 20 bay turret model with your same 10 fire pattern: cannon 11 fires/cannon 1 stops, 12 fires/2 stops, etc...