Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3060869 times)

Re: W-H-I-Y-L - Asante Sana Squash Banana.
you do know capacitors bleed energy long term like no tomorrow?
I did not! But that's the beauty of it: the battery is charged by the capacitor, so it isn't storing electricity long-term! Unless you meant "long-term" is like 3 hours...

I don't get what the point in having both the battery and capacitor is meant to be.

Also yes, 3 hours is enough for a capacitor to bleed out a lot of energy. Can you explain what you think the difference between a battery and capacitor is? You sound very confused.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's very simple.  The battery charges the capacitor, while the capacitor charges the battery.  Unlimited energy!

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Thermodynamics
Advanced understanding of the laws of thermodynamics. Allows you to deliberately overheat a ship's modules in order to push them beyond their intended limit. Also gives you the ability to frown in annoyance whenever you hear someone mention a perpetual motion unit. Reduces heat damage by 5% per level.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So, in essence, Scourge, you are saying to increase the energy efficiency of a device, you use two batteries instead of just one. Brilliant! :D

Anywho.

A battery and a capacitor are the pretty much the same thing functionally when talking about DC energy storage. Capacitors are more likely to allow quick/instantaneous discharge than some batteries (depending on the chemistry of the battery) but often cannot hold a whole of charge.

The only reason you'd possibly use a combination of battery and capacitor for a device is if you had a power supply system that had a different voltage output (capacitor side) than its input voltage (battery side).
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline BirdofPrey

Charger already has capacitors in it anyways to reduce voltage drop when the AC current reverses polarity.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

See, this is how we learn things!

1: make a hare-brained statement.
2: inspire people who might know what they're talking about to talk about stuff.
3: ???
4: profit?

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Charger already has capacitors in it anyways to reduce voltage drop when the AC current reverses polarity.

You are so in the dark about these things.

Power supply
DC-to-converter (Changes DC output voltage with minimal losses)
Switched mode power supply (This is what's in your PC, and most likely in your battery charger as well)
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline BirdofPrey

How is what I said incorrect?
Most power supplies contain capacitors.  Their purpose is smoothing out voltage variations.  Said voltage variations are caused because AC current is a sine wave.  (even switched mode power supplies have a harmonic generated by the switching)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

You are so in the dark about these things.

Power supply
DC-to-converter (Changes DC output voltage with minimal losses)
Switched mode power supply (This is what's in your PC, and most likely in your battery charger as well)

Ha! Get it? He's in the dark? Eh? We're talking about power? Power can lead to light? Eh? Ehhhhhh? Ahhh haa haaaa

Perhaps I was the only one with the... CAPACITY TO GET IT! AAAAAAHH AAHA HAHAHAAAAAAAA

BEST NOT RESIST THE POWER OF THIS JOKE!

I AM CURRENTLY ON A ROLL!

VOLT YOU LIKE SOME MORE JOKES YA?!

YOU COULD SAY I AM PRETTY AMPED UP RIGHT NOW!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:23:54 am by deathfun »
"No"

Offline Luis Dias

Be careful with the booze man :D

Offline BirdofPrey

Look at that garden of puns
I can see they are all fully groan

A battery and a capacitor are the pretty much the same thing functionally when talking about DC energy storage. Capacitors are more likely to allow quick/instantaneous discharge than some batteries (depending on the chemistry of the battery) but often cannot hold a whole of charge.

Er... no. Capacitors and batteries are used for very different purposes. Capacitors aren't really used to store energy the way batteries are; they're used as buffers for moving energy around quickly. A decent but still risky analogy is that batteries are hard disks, capacitors are RAM.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
How is what I said incorrect?
Most power supplies contain capacitors.  Their purpose is smoothing out voltage variations.  Said voltage variations are caused because AC current is a sine wave.  (even switched mode power supplies have a harmonic generated by the switching)

I'm just being a bit of a pedant here with your responses. :P It's true there's a capacitor (or set of them) on the output side of a power supply, but the AC line still needs to be rectified or else you'd still get an AC output.

Er... no. Capacitors and batteries are used for very different purposes. Capacitors aren't really used to store energy the way batteries are; they're used as buffers for moving energy around quickly. A decent but still risky analogy is that batteries are hard disks, capacitors are RAM.

Realistically (with the self discharge losses) capacitors and batteries are used differently. But ideally (without the self discharge losses) the only thing different between a capacitor and a battery would be in its construction. After all, a voltaic pile is still a bunch of plates with something stuck in between them :P
chief1983

------------

No, not really. Batteries and capacitors are very different on just about every level except that they both store electrical energy.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
No, not really. Batteries and capacitors are very different on just about every level except that they both store electrical energy.

Alright, how are they different?
chief1983

------------

I'm no expert, but internally they store the energy differently (batteries use chemical reactions which may be irreversible, capacitors use charge separation) and they consequently have a different quantitative relationship between things like stored energy and voltage.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm no expert, but internally they store the energy differently (batteries use chemical reactions which may be irreversible, capacitors use charge separation) and they consequently have a different quantitative relationship between things like stored energy and voltage.

Ok, so that's one level, how about the others?
chief1983

------------

Well, internal mode of operation and quantitative behaviour were the main ones I was thinking of. What else even is there?

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Well, like what circuits they are commonly employed in and what things you can do with one, but shouldn't/can't do with the other.
chief1983

------------