Author Topic: Some Terran-Vasudan Questions.  (Read 11067 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Some Terran-Vasudan Questions.
Okay people, heres another one.  Just how similar is Terran and Vasudan anatomy?  If a Terran and Vasudan crashed somewhere would the Terran be able to patch up the injured Vasudan? (or vice-versa agian)
I don't think so, unless of course each one is trained in operating on the opposite species (do not post you-know-what).

They're both carbon-based, and they both seem to operate in the same basic way in respects to respiration and sensory functions (they have eyes and ears at least). So it'd be a bit like operating on an animal or something, they're not too alien (in fact something similar could develop on Earth I think) but still different from operating on a human.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Unless they have been learnt in treating the injuries of the other species, I don't think so. However, there is a slight chance that they can treat each other, since Terrans and Vasudans are both two-legged creatures.

What Snail said.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Okay people, heres another one.  Just how similar is Terran and Vasudan anatomy?  If a Terran and Vasudan crashed somewhere would the Terran be able to patch up the injured Vasudan? (or vice-versa agian)

Almost certainly, if you mean "patch up" in the first aid terms that seem most likely for the situation you describe. Their physiology would have to be incredibly radically different, to the point it was nothing like life as we know it, for the basic rules of stopping bleeding and preventing/treating shock to not apply. (Also probably other first aid stuff like treating hypothermia, burns, etc. I presume however it's pretty difficult to end up in a situation where you'd need to treat a Vasudan for dehydration or heat-related problems.) Since Vasudans evolved in an environment that was more arid but otherwise apparently very similar to Earth, there is absolutely no reason to think they'd have the kind of massive differences necessary to invalidate first aid techniques usable on humans.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:16:20 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Besides. Wouldn't a Vasudan be able to "coordinate" the terran on how to do first aid to a vasudan? Or vice versa.

This could turn out as an interesting story/fic idea.

Besides. Wouldn't a Vasudan be able to "coordinate" the terran on how to do first aid to a vasudan? Or vice versa.

That assumes the Vasudan isn't incapacitated.
      First aid can probably be rendered, but surgery without knowledge of the anatomy is likely a different problem.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
This conversation is all moot. It's sci-fi. If these were scientifically plausible aliens, you'd be about as qualified to patch them up as you would be to administer first aid to a jellyfish.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Topgun

This could turn out as an interesting story/fic idea.
freespace enemy mine.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
This conversation is all moot. It's sci-fi. If these were scientifically plausible aliens, you'd be about as qualified to patch them up as you would be to administer first aid to a jellyfish.
There are only so many bubbles that can be burst, only so many dreams that can be shattered. :(

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
On a completely unrelated note...

Snail
Date Registered:    May 17, 2006, 07:22:13 AM

Galemp
Date Registered:    January 14, 2002, 08:00:00 PM

that's messed up.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That data is now outdated.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
It says somewhere in the FSRefBible that their vocal chords were unable to speak English. Either that, or I've gotten FS mixed up with SW, and I have to be burned at the stake after having been forced to drink a cup of rusty iron nails.

That would be wookiepedia the star wars wikipedia. In particular that vocal chord thing pertained to wookies. Take your choosing of burning at the stake or burning at the steak.

Well, we can't comprehend their language because the nature of their speech is determined by a lot of factors, including their proximity to the current emperor.

The factors that govern their speech is the exact same factors that govern our speech for all languages all over in the real world. V just tossed in all that language factor crap to make it seemingly impossible to learn vasudan. So in reality in the fs universe, vasudans just have the same speech factors as earth does.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Wait ... what?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Solatar

From the Freespace Reference Bible:

Terran-Vasudan communication was relatively easy to establish, despite the fact that Vasudan vocal cords are unable to make the sounds needed to produce the English language (now refered to as “Terran Standard” by spacers).

Guess somebody else gets burned. :p

As for the language complications being made up. It's entirely possible all the different things mentioned would be in their language. Basically it's the concept of multiple levels of formality (present in many human languages, some in a very high degree) taken to an extreme. Would it make much sense to a human? Probably not.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I want to learn Vasudan. If only I could. ****ing Klingon. Meh (and why the **** is Klingon registered in the Firefox Spell Checking dictionary? AAAAAAARRGghghghghghhh!!)

Wasn't there a thread saying how to say "read book" or something? Seriously, we should make the Vasudan language. Mobius can't be involved or he'll turn it into Latin Ultra Refined Rainbow Version. :D

Offline Solatar

That'd be pretty awesome to do. Create a fanon Vasudan language.

Hard though...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The factors that govern their speech is the exact same factors that govern our speech for all languages all over in the real world. V just tossed in all that language factor crap to make it seemingly impossible to learn vasudan. So in reality in the fs universe, vasudans just have the same speech factors as earth does.

So English is based on the day of the week, the month, and the spacial orientation of the speaker as compared to the Emperor? The closest human approximation I can think of, actually, is Navajo, which has so many different verb forms based on so many circumstances you'll go mad just trying to figure them out. A word eight characters long in its anglicized version, na'ildil, means roughly "You are accustomed to eat plural seperable objects one at a time." (Dear god, that's actually more words then there are characters in the Navajo word.) There was a very good reason why the Marines used native speakers of the langauge in WW2 as essentially human cryptographic machines: the langauge is so complex as to be totally impenetrable to an outsider, even after years of observation and analysis of context. Yes, you can learn it, but you would never manage to sound like a native speaker and it would take you at least a couple decades.

Now throw in the added complication of the langauge having been created by someone with non-human pyschology.

Learning Vasudan doesn't sound so easy anymore, does it?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:20:35 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

What are you talking about? If learning Vasudan was so easy, we'll be speaking it right now. :wtf: :D
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

What are you talking about? If learning Vasudan was so easy, we'll be speaking it right now. :wtf: :D

Er, Vasudan would actually have to be a language first instead of just some sound effects.
      And really, does anyone want to be more of a nerd fanboy than they already are? I mean, Klingon? Is there a more useless language to learn?  I think not.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Navajo

Navajo

At least people actually speak navajo. Many of the native north american languages are dying but there are still some speakers. They were teaching Cree at my elementary school.