AI that departs when at critical hull damage.
I tried to implement that as an easy way of trying out my modular apporach.
It works, however:
- There are hits that get not reported to the ai_ship_hit function (this might be a bug)
- I made it so, that if its a friendly fighter or bomber, that it departs when its on 15-30% full strength left.
This might to seem much, however already with that value, most ships still do get destroyed and only seldom one is able to escape.
Ideas how to improve that or is it just "realistic"?
I also found out about the AI:
* The behavior that the AI should not go after followers when heading to a far-away to-be-protected target is actually _wanted_ by [V]. (and commented in code)
* The same behavior pretty much applies, when heading to destroy a target.
* The AI cannot hit other AI ships. Friendly fire is only enabled for the player.
What would be a good tactic to destroy / guard a long-way-to-go remote target and not get destroyed by followers while heading to it?
( I know that glide is ideal for that ...)
I tried it out in bearbaiting stopping, using first C-3-9 letting them fly out far away and then C-3-8 and I saw my wing-man get pummeled by the followers with ease and no resistance ...
So thats a good test-case ...
However while not being pummeled you do not need to get distracted too much as well, else the to guarded object is toast before you arrive ...
How do we humans judge that? How should a AI judge that?
Also: How do you think could the paths when flying in formation be improved?
I already thought about applying wing-man tactics. (i.e. A3 guards A4 and A4 guards A3).
Kind of: Break-and-Attack, but keep an eye on each other.