Author Topic: Beam Lethality out of balance?  (Read 1976 times)

Beam Lethality out of balance?
   Is it just me, or do ship to ship beams seem to do more damage in FSOpen than they did in FS2 Retail? There's a few missions I've done, where I had a ship fire upon another ship with the intent on damaging but not destroying it. And while the ships are consistently only damaged in retail, they are consistently destroyed in Open. I don't understand it myself.

Can throw mission balance out the window if that's the case.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Beam Lethality out of balance?
Maybe Open is running at a higher FPS?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There was code committed recently that fixes beam damage when using time compression, it may also fix it for FPS differences.  I will post a new build later today in Recent Builds with that fix in place.  You might want to see if it changes anything for you.  Also, if you have a specific point that can be tested with retail and SCP, where it happens consistently, it'd be useful for debugging.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Yes, put together a simple mission where the difference between retail and SCP behavior is the most dramatic. Then post it to Mantis.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
   Is it just me, or do ship to ship beams seem to do more damage in FSOpen than they did in FS2 Retail? There's a few missions I've done, where I had a ship fire upon another ship with the intent on damaging but not destroying it. And while the ships are consistently only damaged in retail, they are consistently destroyed in Open. I don't understand it myself.

Well, even if this is a problem, it's always good to use ship-guardian or ship-guardian-threshold when you want something to be damaged but not destroyed.

Well, even if this is a problem, it's always good to use ship-guardian or ship-guardian-threshold when you want something to be damaged but not destroyed.

Well as I created the missions in retail ship-guardian-threshold didn't exist. And I loathe ship-guardian because of how obvious it is to the player.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
     Well as I created the missions in retail ship-guardian-threshold didn't exist. And I loathe ship-guardian because of how obvious it is to the player.
Ideally, it should be used as a last resort. Because if the ship isn't supposed to be destroyed in the first place, then the player would probably not even see the thing at all. But just in case it does get destroyed somehow, you can still prevent it from being destroyed in the first place. Additionally, you can still allow its turrets and subsystems to get destroyed (which you can't do if you use an invulnerable sexp)