Author Topic: Dev blog comments thread  (Read 35174 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Dev blog comments thread
You've seen the dev blog. You probably had an opinion. Be sure to tell us!.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
Re: Dev blog comments thread
I think it's great.

Lets the community know how progress is going, something I wish most projects did. On the flip side though... a little RL could end up in a lot of panic. Though for now all it's doing is ensuring me(hopefully us) that this project won't be left for dead as you all look very motivated. Certainly motivated enough to temp me to apply. My personal belief is that community involvement/interest is paramount. Seeing that other guy's attitude on the btrl forum seriously made me wonder why anyone was interested in that TC, much less wanted to work for it.

Someone at least reset my title!!

Offline Demitri

Think its pretty cool. Nice to see whats going on. cant really think of any other campaigns that have something similar to give progress/updates.

Btw, i may very well be stating the obvious but i'm assuming the Mk. II / Mk. VII hybrid type fighter is the training fighter mentioned by shade?
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think it's a great idea. Most similar blogs seem to be abandoned after a short while, but if you guys could at least post a few sentences at regular intervals, that'd go a long way towards soothing the malcontents. (I do not count myself among them, but I'm sure they will breed.)

Offline Shade

i'm assuming the Mk. II / Mk. VII hybrid type fighter is the training fighter mentioned by shade?
Yep.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think it's a great idea. Most similar blogs seem to be abandoned after a short while, but if you guys could at least post a few sentences at regular intervals, that'd go a long way towards soothing the malcontents. (I do not count myself among them, but I'm sure they will breed.)

That's one reason why I decided to make a team blog. Anyone on the team can update it with news so there always should be something going on. The idea is to update whenever we have something interesting to tell you. New models, new ships whatever. The FotG team are doing something similar with their monthly newsletter but as you can see we started the blog independently before we heard about it, a case of two teams having similar ideas at the same time.

The blog should hopefully give people reading it some idea of how much work is left to do. Since there are so many people here with experience of developing their own mods and TCs when we make comments on the state of things like modelling, FREDding, voice acting, etc quite a few people will understand what we mean so the general tone of the place should hopefully reflect what is going on internally.

But enough about the blog itself. What do you think of the content?. :D No speculation on what the censored ship is? Nothing you want to ask about the plot line as defined in my last post? Is there anything you'd like to see more or less of? We won't tell you everything but if we've missed something we feel should be commented on we'll certainly add it. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Echelon9

Haha, this will likely seem a really strange thought to others, but I was walking back to my car today and oddly found myself wondered how different it will feel to be at the controls of the Mk II, Mk VII, Raptor, Raider and the mystery craft in Diaspora?

I'm hoping that each has their own characteristic responsiveness, so that the immersion value-added of choosing one craft over the others for a mission will be noticeable. Devs (who have flown each of the craft) how do they respond? Can you tell quickly and clearly the first time you're in mission that each has their own manoeuvrability specifications and handling?

Offline Shade

Yeah. There are differences in both max speed, acceleration and maneuverability between the ships, generally with the smaller craft being the nimbler. Flying a Heavy Raider against an Adder, for example, would be nearly futile at close range as it would feel like trying to out-turn a speedboat in an oil tanker.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm guessing the Adder is the trainer (which has a look very reminiscent of real-life jet trainers, I might add. Kudos to the designer.)

I like the storyline. It'll probably be kind of liberating to steer away from strictly following Razor and the Pegasus line of the show itself, won't it? They only offer so many opportunities.

Of course, I think we'd all like to see battles like those in Resurrection Ship playable, but those could be added in later. I'm particularly interested in what new characters you present, and how they develop. In the BtRL demo, most of your wingmen were killable, which seems like it'd make things difficult for long-term character growth!

The hidden ship is a puzzle. The outline looks like a blurred Mark VII, but a simple post-Razor Mk VII wouldn't be cause enough for all that excitement. Maybe it's some kind of bomber variant?

Offline Echelon9

No speculation on what the censored ship is?

Clearly an un-armed, fully laden Colonial Movers transport which you've got to pilot out of an orbital shipyard above one of the twelve colonies to a clear jump-point during the first Cylon attack, trying to not gain Raider or Basestar attention as the structure is destroyed and collapsing around you. :)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

The hidden ship is a puzzle. The outline looks like a blurred Mark VII, but a simple post-Razor Mk VII wouldn't be cause enough for all that excitement. Maybe it's some kind of bomber variant?

The secret ship was revealed before i could post my thoughts on it.
I thought of, either the retconned MkVII or Starslayer's MkVII E, which seems to be right from the looks of it. :)

I wonder what's it's weapon loadout?

Offline Shade

Yep, it was revealed because Gen. Battuta guessed it correctly (well, close enough anyway)... and then of course we didn't tell you because we were curious about how long it would take for anyone to notice :p Nice job both on figuring it out and on noticing the image had been switched.

It is, in fact, the MkVIIe. The secondary loadout will consist of some of the heavier ordnance Lt_Cannonfodder posted on the eyecandy thread. Guns are undecided as yet.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Yay, NUKES for the Masses! ;7

Me likes it  :yes:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm a heroooooooooo!

Well, the mesh for the VIIe is my doing, and I can confirm that at present its got 2 KEWs.  Whether or not thats final or anything else about it, couldn't tell you cuz I don't know :P

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Well, the mesh for the VIIe is my doing, and I can confirm that at present its got 2 KEWs.  Whether or not thats final or anything else about it, couldn't tell you cuz I don't know :P

Sorry, i thought it was made by Starslayer, 'cause the ship is in his Sig on GW...

@Flipside: DLed the music update, Sounds good :yes:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thanks :) To be honest, that was really done simply because I thought the FS2 Main Hall theme would sound good with Taikos, and since I was working on some tracks for Diaspora at the same time, the result was kind of BSG-esque, so I thought I'd share it with you guys :)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Haha; that's brilliant Flip. :D
*adds to playlist*
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Sorry, i thought it was made by Starslayer, 'cause the ship is in his Sig on GW...

@Flipside: DLed the music update, Sounds good :yes:

It's starslayer's design, i just modeled the thing :D

Thanks :) To be honest, that was really done simply because I thought the FS2 Main Hall theme would sound good with Taikos, and since I was working on some tracks for Diaspora at the same time, the result was kind of BSG-esque, so I thought I'd share it with you guys :)

Funny thing is, first thing I thought hearing that track is, "That sounds like Rome:Total War!" Guess I just don't play FS2 enough.  :p Nice track though. Honestly, everything you guys have shown us has blown my socks off, so keep up the awesome work.