Author Topic: Dev blog comments thread  (Read 35347 times)

Re: Dev blog comments thread
Are you guys really that close? I've only just discovered this project and community. I literally thought to myself last week that "Freespace would've been an awesome engine to turn into BSG" so I google and lo and behold here you guys are. I'm aware of the 'split' that happened and I'm glad that I've actually missed all that.

Are you guys really that close to R1? Or has that been said for the last six months?

I'd love to see this soon and play me some BSG!!

Offline Shade

Not too close. We're at a point where almost all the main assets we need for it are in-game in some form, but many still need work (mainly LODs and texture fixes) before they're final. In addition to that there's code to be done, more effects to be done, missions to be made and voice acting to do. So we've come a long way, but we also still have some way to go.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I didn't say the something big was the R1 release. Just that we're up to something if we suddenly go quiet and smile a lot. :)

As for the R1 release date, we're not close yet. By that I don't mean we're years away, but you shouldn't expect it as a Christmas present or something like that.

While some projects believe in keeping the fans in the dark about how long they'll have to wait, acting like they'll be out any second, I'd rather Diaspora was open about it. We don't give a release date because until a week or two beforehand we honestly won't know. What we can do is tell you what we have done and what remains to be done so that you can see the progress for yourselves. There are several stages that we have to go through in order to make the game.

1) We have to make placeholders for all the stuff we need
2) We have to make missions using those placeholders while the art team turn them into the final version
3) We have to get all the missions polished, bug tested and voice acted

Only once we've done that can we release and right now we're mostly at stage 2 with some minor stage 1 things needed. So when you start hearing me say that stuff from stage 3 is done, then you'll know we'll be releasing soon. :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:45:02 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Cool, it's good to know where things are. It is definitely appreciated that you'll let us know where - roughly - you guys are. Even though I've only just joined the party I get the feeling each day will be an excruciating wait! Here's to hoping we get a release soon! ;)

Offline Ramjet

lol well think yourself lucky you missed the 3 year wait from BtRL... probably the most patient fan base you'll ever meet :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
:bump:

If you've checked the blog, you'll know why. :)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I saw the Hi-Res video and i'm honestly don't know what to say.
This is fraking awesomeness or great work or well done barely suffices.

Thanks. :yes:

EDIT:

The animated Raptor cockpit is TEH WIN!
So is the Mercury class Battlestar...

EDIT 2:

I toned down the speakers so i didn't hear the awesome music the first three times i watched the vid.
Is this Flipside's work? Or Skull leader's?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:02:34 pm by Angelus »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Max's
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wow. Really impressed by the animated cockpits. I'm glad those are looking standard. Also impressed by the basestar and the skyboxes. I like the way the flak field dances around the way I remember from 'He That Believeth In Me'.

Since it's a WIP, I bet we'll be getting muzzle flashes on the Bolitho. And maybe some thicker, brighter basestar missile contrails?

...actually, y'know, I kinda like those missile contrails.

And man those backgrounds are amazing.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Sorry, i forgot Max is team member now...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Since it's a WIP, I bet we'll be getting muzzle flashes on the Bolitho. And maybe some thicker, brighter basestar missile contrails?

Apart from possibly some of those backgrounds and the Bolitho model itself, I don't think there's a single thing in that video that doesn't need a tweak of some kind or other. :D

So this is only an indication of how pretty the final game will be. A lot of that stuff is a placeholder.

Offline Echelon9

Is the currently blank section of the Raptor central cockpit where DRADIS will go using render to texture (RTT)?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. :D

Offline newman

Is the currently blank section of the Raptor central cockpit where DRADIS will go using render to texture (RTT)?

That's the plan.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Demitri

Just watched the vid and i'm totally blown away! Also, if they are only placeholders then i cannot wait to get my hands on the finished articles. Keep up the excellent work ppl & roll on R1  :nod:
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
The video was nice and all, but my Media Player Classic (with mega k-lite codec pack) would not play the audio at all. I've tried re-downloading both versions of the video from your site.
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
The video was nice and all, but my Media Player Classic (with mega k-lite codec pack) would not play the audio at all. I've tried re-downloading both versions of the video from your site.

Try VLC media player, it's what i use.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
ModDB Link

The video is up on there too and since they use flash IIRC it may work for you.

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
ModDB Link

The video is up on there too and since they use flash IIRC it may work for you.

Yes, I can hear it now thank you. Just weird I can't hear the video I downloaded. I've looked and found no broken codecs, did a clean sweep when I downloaded the mega pack of k-lite, so I stumped.
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Saw the second Video...

AMAZING!

A big hand for the entire team!!

me likes the explosion effect...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:30:41 pm by Angelus »