Author Topic: Dev blog comments thread  (Read 35192 times)

Re: Dev blog comments thread
Truly amazing. I just came from watching the new episode of BSG, and then get greeted by Diaspora awesomeness. This has been a very good day.:D I really love the Raptor cockpit; when the camera panned around in the second video, my jaw nearly dropped when I saw that you'd modeled the whole interior. That's really impressive. It's also great to be hearing from the team, the silence lately has been quite deafening. So keep it up, you guys are doing great!

Offline Narvi

The 640x360 version of the second trailer is a dead link.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Fixed.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
The flak looks great. Much better than last time.

Apart from some rough edges here and there, things are amazing. Love the fleet of bolitho's. Raptor looks amazing.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
The videos are now also up on Vimeo and Youtube.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it looked to me like some of the shots used in the trailers appeared almost...animated, as though cel shading was being applied.  Maybe it was the use of normal maps, or the specific light settings used to create them; I don't know.  Regardless, it's clear that you guys already have a lot of excellent work under your belts.  Not for the last time, I really wish I had gotten in on this BSG thing at the ground floor, instead of being on the outside looking in four seasons into it.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
The entire Raptor cockpit with the interior is cool, what's the polycount of the ship with it?
Did you guys use a Track IR during recording or is that the default 3.6.10 side view feature with a reduced "turn time"?
The new jump effect is also pure awesomeness.

EDIT: I "ripped" the songs from both videos and added them to my BSG music playlist.
I has pirated Diaspora before it has been released...me is evil :p

Offline newman

The entire Raptor cockpit with the interior is cool, what's the polycount of the ship with it?
Did you guys use a Track IR during recording or is that the default 3.6.10 side view feature with a reduced "turn time"?

The raptor cockpit is actually a separate model, we just make the ship use it in the tables.
The model of the cockpit itself is 8557 triangles. Not sure about the raptor's count atm.
As for TrackIR, we wanted to have some genuine trackIR footage but unfortunately didn't get to
do it this time - the shots you see where the head "moves" in the cockpit are actually using
"padlock view" - it's a boundable key command that makes your virtual "head" automatically
track any target in game.
We'll do proper trackIR shots next time :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Shade

Aww, we're being pirated. I feel so proud now :D

As for the TrackIR-like footage, yeah, that's actually padlock view. TrackIR is supported though, we just didn't get the people who have the proper setup to shoot any video in time for the show starting again, which was our deadline for releasing these.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, first time one of my tracks has ever been put to Video and already it's being ripped....

Cool! ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well it was specially written with the trailer in mind IIRC so it would have been a pity not to use it. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Heh, first time one of my tracks has ever been put to Video and already it's being ripped....

Cool! ;)

Well, when people start stealing your intellectual property, it's a sign you're doing something right.. :D
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:lol:

Well, considering I have to measure up to someone as good as Max, it's always nice to know that people like my stuff ;)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Both look great.  If I had to pick one I go with Kara's though and not just because I need bug fixes.   :lol:

One thing you might want to consider before the next blog comment is either get the thing to page 2 (think your one post away) already or archive some of the pics.  Takes forever to get to the post with the links due to the slowness of wherever those pictures are loading from.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Ramjet

WOW, just wow!  :nod:

I'm a VR920 user, and I'm already visualising the Head tracking on a VR headset!!!! Raptor is sensational! Music is brilliant, as good if not better than the show!

Well done guys. Outstanding work!

Awesome. Great way to celebrate the beginning of the end of the series!

Awesome!  -Ridiculously- awesome.  Amazing work, we really appreciate the work that this exceptional team has put into this TC.

Cheers

Offline A2597

oh Frak yea that looks awesome!

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Aye, looks better and better; indeed. I wish you Power, Strenght and Health until you got that R1 ready to go!..

Thanks,
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline Elffin

Great trailers and congrats to the team

@Fllipside - the music was really well composed - you've got the BSG 'sound' just right - can't wait to hear more.