Author Topic: When you Just can't help yourself....  (Read 9257 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: When you Just can't help yourself....
Baldur's Gate II. Following the advice of several members of this forum I decided to give it another try on the grounds that it supposedly got better and after ploughing my way all the way through the Underdark I can conclusively state it does not. In fact it gets worse.

Unfortunately now I'm interested enough in the whole Bhaalspawn story that at some point I'm going to have to put my rubber boots and trousers back on and plough through the rest of this **** to find out how it ends. At which point it will go back on the shelf and never be touched again like the piece of railroading crap it is.

Aw.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I guess i had a hate relationship with Dark Forces.  Not because the game was bad, i liked it a lot, but because my game was corrupt and wouldn't save.  In effect every time i played it i needed to start from the beginning.  Needless to say that was frustrating, i think the farthest i ever got was fighting Boba Fett on Courscant Tongue

It's supposed to save between levels, but the lack of proper save games in it always got on my nerves. I thought the game was rather overrated in general, as this made it a lot more tedious to play through than other games of its time (e.g. Doom or Descent) and it didn't have any of the cool Jedi stuff that made the later games so distinctive.

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
The original Final Fantasy for the NES. I typically make a kickass team of Red Mages and then liberally have my ass handed to me on a silver platter.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Jak II for the PS2 was the last one that really comes to mind for me.  I managed to get seemingly inexorably stuck at multiple points during it, but I couldn't help but fling myself at it again and again until I finally beat the damned thing.

Come to think of it, that sums up just about my entire experience with Procyon Insurgency. :p

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
For me, Wing Commander 2 DOS (and I'll probably hate the KS version with an equal passion)

Some firefights are nice and easy, like going at some Sarthas with a Ferret.  Some firefights are harder than you'd expect (Remember the mission where you had to meet the Gettysburg pilots while you were flying an Epee and two Ferrets ambushed you at Nav 2? WARNING: IT TAKES EVERY OUNCE OF ADRENALINE JUST TO GET PAST THAT ONE.)  You'll also remember the dogfight with Kur and your Rapier.  Damn, it's so easy to die in WC2, unlike Standoff.  I hate low res. :hopping:
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Roanoke

Donkey Kong 64.

You don't know what it's like until you've tried. After many months and with help from three other friends, we finally got 101% completion. Collected every single god damned banana, coin, blueprint, fairy, arena crown, golden banana, boss key, the Rare and Nintendo coins, beat every minigame and every boss, all for every character and every level.

101%.

I then shelved the game and never played it again.

Reminds me of my tortous sessions getting all gold in the Gran Turismo licence tests to unlock the TRD3000GT and Nismo 400R. Not to mention earning cheats in Rare's Goldeneye. Though the cheats were rather good.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Grand Turismo was a living hell to get all Licenses...

I remember being hooked on Red Alert 1, Bomberman 2, Megaman X. . . . . And of course FreeSpace 1 & 2 (and starwing 1&2 :nervous:)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Roanoke

Grand Turismo was a living hell to get all Licenses...

I remember being hooked on Red Alert 1, Bomberman 2, Megaman X. . . . . And of course FreeSpace 1 & 2 (and starwing 1&2 :nervous:)

I started the same in GT2 but when the first car unlocked was an alt. colour sceme for the Toyota GT1 I didn't bother....  :rolleyes:

Offline Mika

The Game.
:lol:

Is it The Game I'm thinking of?

Mika
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Mika

I was seriously considering flying through the Flanker 2.5 campaign. The only problem is me alone against the whole world -feeling and pre-scripted missions. All attempts at launching the game will stop the moment computer draws the cockpit already in-flight. Suddenly I find the mouse cursor moving towards Launch Falcon 4 Allied Force icon instead.

Some day I will also get through that Descent III. I just can't force myself to play through those railway tunnels.

Sam & Max Season I, while fun, is also overrated on my opinion, at least by the reviewers I came to trust. Played through it once and forgot it.

Has anyone ever gotten through the Sinclair ZX Spectrum's version of "A view to a kill"?

Mika
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Some day I will also get through that Descent III. I just can't force myself to play through those railway tunnels.

That part is pretty easy. You just need to observe their patterns before heading into the tunnel. There are a few enemies there too but they get demolished by the trains.

I never finished Heretic, well... maybe no one remembers that one :P

Heretic? What was hard about that? I remember some video game reviewer saying the final boss was the hardest he'd ever faced, but it wasn't that hard at all. So I don't know what his deal was. Harder than the spiderdemon sure, but not insanely difficult.

For me, I don't think there's any game that's tormented me. Either I finish the thing, or i quit playing it due to lack of interest (Brood War being one example). Actually the thing that pisses me off about Starcraft, is that the computer cheats. Sometimes I'd run out of resources, and try to scrape by a victory by using Zerg Queens for example to pick off the enemy and wear him down through attrition. And yet the computer would keep building new guys. He's had no crystals forever, but still he keeps building new guys. That pisses me off. The game doesn't reward patience like that. I think one mission I actually won when I threw every last unit I had at the guy (including collector bugs) with some last ditch attack.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:54:40 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Tremulous . . .

Not a bad game, but the people who play it are evil.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
No crystals left in the pile doesn't mean the AI hasn't spent them all ;)
What genre was tremulous, the name's ringing a bell.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I never finished Heretic, well... maybe no one remembers that one :P

Heretic? What was hard about that? I remember some video game reviewer saying the final boss was the hardest he'd ever faced, but it wasn't that hard at all. So I don't know what his deal was. Harder than the spiderdemon sure, but not insanely difficult.

For me, I don't think there's any game that's tormented me. Either I finish the thing, or i quit playing it due to lack of interest (Brood War being one example). Actually the thing that pisses me off about Starcraft, is that the computer cheats. Sometimes I'd run out of resources, and try to scrape by a victory by using Zerg Queens for example to pick off the enemy and wear him down through attrition. And yet the computer would keep building new guys. He's had no crystals forever, but still he keeps building new guys. That pisses me off. The game doesn't reward patience like that. I think one mission I actually won when I threw every last unit I had at the guy (including collector bugs) with some last ditch attack.

The Starcraft AI can definitely run out of resources, at least in skirmishes.

Not so sure about campaign games.

Rome: Total War. And Shogun for that matter. And Viking Invasion. I've never (in my mind) legitimately finished any of these. And it's my fault, in the sense that, for these particular games at least, I'm an obsessive perfectionist. I have to command every battle, shuffle all my troops around so that they all get max training experience and armour, even my garrison troops, and the same with my generals so the good ones only keep good or appropriate ancilliaries. I finally gave up on all the above and just massed my armies and computer resolved all the battles till the end. But I hated doing it. Because those games, more than most, aren't about the end itself but the process of getting there. And they DESTROYED my process. I hate the battle engine. The way you have to pause-play battles because there's no unit AI at all, or general battleline orders. If you try to assign attack orders at the start the enemy line just runs around senselessly and your battle line turns itself inside out and gapping holes open that cavalry smash through. And the fact that the enemy AI is rubbish and obviously cheats in battles and grand strategy.

And yet I'm currently working through Barbarian Invasion. I don't know why, I just have to. But I've only been playing this for maybe 6 months, and not solidly all the way through. If that sounds shocking then Rome:TW was probably a good year of playing.

I'm not going to play Medieval 2. I'm not!

I've downloaded a few mods for rome. Are any of them good? I mean, do they change it enough to make it likeable?
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline Roanoke

That part is pretty easy. You just need to observe their patterns before heading into the tunnel. There are a few enemies there too but they get demolished by the trains.

That got me too.

I'll just have a quick peek 'round this corner and..boom!!!

All right, I'll admit it:

I downloaded I Wanna Be The Guy.

Need anything more be said?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!

They can't. Everytime they reach a certain level, they get a resource injection, about 500 minerals and gas.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

They can't. Everytime they reach a certain level, they get a resource injection, about 500 minerals and gas.

Sons of *****es.