Author Topic: When you Just can't help yourself....  (Read 9258 times)

Re: When you Just can't help yourself....
I never finished Heretic, well... maybe no one remembers that one :P

i do! Used teh Doom engine of wanna be 3d! and was the prequel to one of the most kick ass series ever... Hexen!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
So I strapped on my wellies and rubber trousers and decided to try wading through Baldur's Gate II some more. And yes it's still ****. I'm reminded of one of Yahtzee's reviews where he says a game has two hypothetical developers. While Terry came up with lots of great ideas, Gonad would come along and **** them up completely.

The latest annoyance :-

Spoiler:
I've finally reached part 6. I return to the city for the final confrontation with Bodhi. A messenger comes up to me and says that Nalia is needed in the graveyard for her father's funeral. Well I was going there to stake Bodhi anyway so it's not a problem. I get to the graveyard and Bodhi is at the entrance. The game then takes control and kidnaps Aerie. Nothing I can do about it. The game just suddenly decided that without casting a spell or anything Bodhi was able to take her and teleport in 4-5 vampires for me to fight.
 Then I'm forced to go to the funeral anyway when I'm one (wo)man down, where I find Nalia's ex seems to have some strange infatuation with her (or more likely her money) and trouble is brewing there. I go into the crypts and kick the **** out of Bodhi but find Aerie is already a vampire and I have to kill her. Apparently though I can resurrect her if I go to the temple of some Sun god I cleansed earlier.

So since I'm supposedly meant to be having a romance with Aerie, she's of course my top priority. So off I go. Halfway to the temple I get "Waylaid by bandits and must defend myself" The battle lasts about 30 seconds cause any bandits stupid enough to attack me after I've been through the underdark is looking to be eating a sword sandwich very quickly. At this point Nalia's ex turns up, says she's under arrest and without so much as a chance to do anything other than pick between a few script options Nalia is suddenly gone leaving me with half her inventory on the ground. Which now means I have to DROP items in order to actually have enough space to carry her stuff. And now thanks to the game's railroading I'm down to 4 characters in my party without every having had a chance to do anything about either disappearance.

But to me, this is the kicker.  I'd just defeated a whole bunch of bandits. This guy and a single guard tracked me down in the middle of the wilderness somehow to threaten me with trumped up charges. There are 5 people in my party, all quite high level. Is there any reason why an adventuring party wouldn't simply stick a sword in both of their stomachs and walk away knowing everyone would think they were killed by bandits? I mean I could understand if they tried to arrest me in the city (which quite frankly is how the game should have handled this) but we're miles away from civilisation. Who's going to know?

Oh and is if that isn't bad enough apparently when the game needs to railroad you *cough*Lord Jierdan's quest*cough* True Seeing suddenly doesn't actually dispel illusions.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I had the same problem with Neverwinter nights, spent ages getting through the campaign, which wasn't bad, it's just that I found the ending missions really clichéd and stereotypical after all that effort.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
NWN was all about the user-made stuff really. Not unlike FS nowadays.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
NWN2's second Act, the
Spoiler:
Trial and the construction/repair of Crossroads Keep
were, quite possibly the most awesome moments in the game. But its irritating how I have to play through the entire Act 1 just to reach there.

I've been playing DoW:DC, and I've discovered the Hyperion Peaks are impossible to crack as Orks, simply because the Tau occupy it if you're Orks, and their Broadsides like to dig in way, way, way out of your range. Not to mention the Fire Warriors can make mincemeat of my Boyz before they get close enough to smash and stomp.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Commandos and Commandos 2. They are disturbingly difficult and frustrating for me even on normal. Yet I keep returning to them every time I see a classic War-Film re-run on TV. "Dirty Dozen" or "Guns of Navarrona" are the most notorious. Never lasted me the guts to beat either of the games though.

I feel really upset about spending cash to buy Silent Hunters 4. I have no idea how to play it.

Silent Hunter 2 was heaps of fun and not too complicated. I don't know about the latter installments. (Tried playing SH3 but the time compression was a slow *****). "Das Boot" make me want to reach for this whenever I hear in mentioned.