Author Topic: 3.6.10 Media VPs Discussion Thread  (Read 303930 times)

Offline Shade

Re: RELEASE: 3.6.10 Media VPs
However, moving away from the red-pink-white and adopting the usual red-yellow-white would require yet another beam overhaul
The problem isn't that the beams go red-pink-white. The problem is that the glows are just pink-white with no trace of red, very much unlike the beams themselves. The two effects are completely mismatched.

[attachment stolen by Slimey Goober]
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Well I'll give it a look when I can, but I have a slightly more urgent project that needs 100% of my attention for a while. :nervous:
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Shade

"Eventually" is more than I could ask for :) Just knowing that I won't have to go messing around with the effects myself to get good-looking Shivan beams is plenty good.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, itsn ot too hard to swap...just extract the table and switch the instances of "SBeamAglow" for "Beamglow4" and it looks great. (might have to increase radius a bit though).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline eliex

Sorry that I'm a lost lamb at tabling . . . how do I switch SBeamAglow to Beamglow4?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You're running the game from a compressed NTFS filesystem?  Not something I would recommend, but whatever.  You need to get rid of the a_* vp files, lightspeed and nebulae, from your root folder.  Those really should never have been there, and you definitely don't want them there now with the new mediavps.  May or may not fix your crash, probably not, but it will prevent some other problems.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
@ High Max: I've got a similar problem (see above) but for me, it only works with -no_glsl. Go figure... :doubt:

BTW, it appears both High Max and me are running a X1950Pro system. Interesting...
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So is Tolwyn, and he's been having a similar problem with the recent  SCP builds.  High Max, did you try running with -no_glsl?  From what I can tell, it seems like the X1950 is reporting that it can work with shaders, but then one of the shaders is causing a crash on that card.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, Enioch, did you clean those non-retail VPs out of your root FS2 folder and try just running with the MediaVPs as a mod by themselves?  You shouldn't have any MV_ files in the main FS2 folder, nor any shader vp files as those are in the mediavps themselves.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
High Max...

Well... You do have mess in there do you... First the images of your freespace directory and the fs2_open.log do not really match... fs2_open.log reports that you have mediavp files from the previous release still in the MAIN freespace directory (which is a very bad thing). Second it shows you are running a 3rd part mod.

Actual reason for the crash would seem to be that you have somewhere in your mod defined a secondary weapon named 'SRed' and now the mediavp tables seem to be conflicting with that entry. This problem doesnt have much to do with mediavps though. Also using -noparseerrors flag is pretty much the same as begging the game to crash. Especially when modding as the various warnings are usually in the code for a reason.

So after you are sure you have no other mods than mediavps running then post a new fs2_open.log
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 03:06:12 am by Wanderer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Enioch

@chief: Yes, yes, yes, I did remove the non-retail vps. Yes, I am

running with the MediaVPs as a mod by themselves

Wanderer covered that angle. Still no luck, mate.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
@chief: Yes, yes, yes, I did remove the non-retail vps. Yes, I am

running with the MediaVPs as a mod by themselves

Wanderer covered that angle. Still no luck, mate.

I know, but you seemed confused about what was actually a retail file and what was a MediaVP file.  Wasn't sure if that got sorted out yet.  I put a list of the retail vp files in another post just now here in case you were wondering still.

Offline Enioch

Right, nice going with that post, chief! Good to have a sum-up. :yes:

But I got all the vps you mention in my root directory and no others.

BTW, I've been browsing through the directory for

to make sure nothing seems out of place

and I found a patchw32.dll there. Patch + Win32? No idea if this should be there. I'm not touching it yet; share your wisdom... :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And no offense to Vasudan Admiral (really no offense, I know how much effort went into those), but the new warp things look weird... I liked the old ones which seemed a lot more deep, real and convincing.
Sounds like they're not for everyone I guess which is a shame, because as you say - a lot of effort went in. :(
Well I want to add a very vocal counter-opinion.  This new subspace effect is GORGEOUS... absolutely FANTASTIC. :)  I loathed the previous effect; it looked like a garish knockoff that somebody dashed off without any consideration for how the retail effect looked.  But the new effect is great.  A hearty two thumbs up. :yes: :yes2:

And thumbs up to everybody for the rest of the stuff in the mediavps too. :nervous:

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's just part of the original retail patch system.  It doesn't work anymore, so you could delete it.  I'm guessing you installed from retail discs or GOG and not just copying over the retail vps to a new folder, so you probably have FS2.exe and FRED2.exe as well.

Offline Enioch

so you probably have FS2.exe and FRED2.exe as well.

:nod:

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Sorry that I'm a lost lamb at tabling . . . how do I switch SBeamAglow to Beamglow4?

You should go to FreeSpace Modding forum or read the Wiki to do that kind of edits now. I personally agree that those beamglows need to change, but we'll be in a horrible mess if we start to tell people how to mod in this particular thread. It's cluttered enough as it is.

High Max - did you post an old debug log? Based on the screenshot of your FS2 folder, those extra VP's shouldn't be there. Make sure you're still running a debug build and check the "created" date on the log to make sure it's actually what is happening. Or, make sure there are no files hiding outside the window bounds with the Big Icons view that's actually possible). In fact, when posting screenies like that, it's better to use the listing or details view rather than Big Icons.

Also,
Code: [Select]
Int3(): From d:\steven\projects\fsscp\svn trunk - camera code\code\globalincs\windebug.cpp at line 1319 means you aren't running a recent Nightly build as suggested (or your debug log is outdated).

Interestingly, it looks like the shaders aren't compiling for some reason on High Max' computer... :nervous: Might be ATi's bad drivers or something else, I don't know.

Regarding the subspace effect - I agree with Goober. There's a difference between an effect upgrade and a mod - upgrades are supposed to look like the original effect but better, while mods can look whatever their designer wants them to look like.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Enioch

I hope it won't make it less detailed though.

It will. You'll lose normal maps.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There is only one type, but that type of NTFS has the option of compressing it.  Usually compressed NTFS files show up in blue, unless there's some other reason they'd be showing up that way.  It may be an individual file setting since they're not all blue.  You could try rightclicking on the drive those are on, and seeing if the Compress this drive... option is checked under General.

It should theoretically handle GLSL just fine, but for some reason a lot of people with X1950s are having trouble, so until it's sorted out we just need to know if that helps or not.  It's under the troubleshooting options, just check it and disable normals and see if that helps the stability.  You would still have Glow, Shine, and Env maps possible, but you may still want to try different combinations of those to see if it still breaks with no GLSL.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
And no offense to Vasudan Admiral (really no offense, I know how much effort went into those), but the new warp things look weird... I liked the old ones which seemed a lot more deep, real and convincing.
Sounds like they're not for everyone I guess which is a shame, because as you say - a lot of effort went in. :(
Well I want to add a very vocal counter-opinion.  This new subspace effect is GORGEOUS... absolutely FANTASTIC. :)  I loathed the previous effect; it looked like a garish knockoff that somebody dashed off without any consideration for how the retail effect looked.  But the new effect is great.  A hearty two thumbs up. :yes: :yes2:

And thumbs up to everybody for the rest of the stuff in the mediavps too. :nervous:

I agree with that. These new subspace effects look more FreeSpacey than the ones in the previous mediavps.