Author Topic: 2008 Indie game of the year voting  (Read 15693 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: 2008 Indie game of the year voting
did you expect to win FUBAR  :lol: ?   BtrL won because of its kick-ass visuals, its crazy well done voice-acting and because BSG is running on TV. B5 hasn't been shown in 10 years (at least here).
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
No but I'd like to at least make the top 100 list.  Still hasn't been announced.  Supposed to be in 2 hours 45 minutes.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
My guess is we'll sneak in at the bottom somewhere.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Shade

If you got some advertising done in time, I'd say you have a good chance :) Plenty people here must have voted (I know I did), which is a solid base to start from. Add any that good pimping brought in and that should probably be enough.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
No such luck.   :(

As far as I can tell nothing FS2 related made it in the top 100. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Shade

Yeah, can't find anything either. It's a pity, TBP definitely deserved a spot there. Nothing for it but try again next year I guess... with extra pimping. There are plenty B5 fans around, just need to get their attention and get them to vote.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Wow. We suck.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nah. You just didn't pimp hard enough to get past the fact that the crowd there are mainly FPS fans. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Yeah. If only we'd married the concepts of Lemmings and Dragonball Z we might have been in with a chance.  :sigh:

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
Yeah. If only we'd married the concepts of Lemmings and Dragonball Z we might have been in with a chance.  :sigh:

I wouldn't like to see Songoku wipe out the whole Shadow fleet with Kamekameha... :D
TBP's apprentice FREDDER.

Campaign in development:
Guardian of Light (Demo state)(Download DEMO here)
The First Invasion - Part 1 (Planning Concept)

Single Mission :
Human-Narn First Contact (Download here)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well there's always next year. :D

The other big problem we had was that cause we're fairly new to the ModDB we haven't built up a good store of Watchers. Watchers are very good for this sort of thing as you only need to post an update and they'll all be notified to visit your page (at which point they'd probably vote for you).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vidmaster

TBP has an even bigger flaw. It's released.
Believe it or not but that's a problem  :)  You can't build a hype with an released product. BtrL succeeded in creating one by releasing an AWESOME demo with extremely high production values but nothing else.

Also, we need another "official" campaign.  :)

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer

If you and anyone else want to run with my campaign idea I can give you a brain dump. Alternatively finish Fortune Hunters, get it voice acted, and make that official. You are a project leader after all and everyone (me inc) seems to love Fortune Hunters.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

:yes:

If you and anyone else want to run with my campaign idea I can give you a brain dump.

Me now curious... :D

Alternatively finish Fortune Hunters, get it voice acted, and make that official. You are a project leader after all and everyone (me inc) seems to love Fortune Hunters.

Yep, that's true.
Would be indeed cool to see the FH trilogy go official.

@Vidmaster: My BtRL mission i'm freding for a while now is on hold, 'till i get the Asteroid modelled.
                     Meanwhile, i started Freding a small campaign which plays in 2259...well, to cut to the point,
                     is it ok if i mention the FH's in it?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:43:41 am by Angelus »

Offline Vidmaster

see my sig  :) I am always happy when people do cross overs (and some already have talked their plans over with me).
Problem is, I don't want it to be out of context completely, so send me a PM and we can come up with a way to include whatever you want to include that makes sense.

Hunters2261 will get finished, it's just taking longer than anticipated, don't worry. Late Spring 09.

I would also like to see EACW finished (man, that would be one huge flagship campaign for the mod :eek2:) but Skullar has disappeared again or so it seems.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I wish they would at least tell you how many votes you got. 

Well if nothing else we hit an all time high for downloads in a day on ModDB yesterday. 

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
And how about new ships ? I read an article somewhere which talked about TBP and they said TBP lack 2 things : ships and campaigns[. Now you have many people working on the campaign aspect but very few is working on the other (except the case of the Christmas pack of course, but those ships are just re-made ships, not new ships). Lack of ship also makes FREDing harder (ex : if you fred an attack on the Brakiri homeworld you will need the presence of a Cormurai, if not it is illogical, or if you want to make a campaign focusing on the Vree you will need Vree fighters...)
I know it's released but we can always include a new ship pack, but it will be hard work though.
The last thing mentioned in the article is that capship reaction is boring (it is in fact the fault of the FS2 engine itself, not the fredders, but the writters did not know about that).
No complain just pointing out something that has been pointed by someone else  :)
TBP's apprentice FREDDER.

Campaign in development:
Guardian of Light (Demo state)(Download DEMO here)
The First Invasion - Part 1 (Planning Concept)

Single Mission :
Human-Narn First Contact (Download here)

Offline Shade

Err... what? TBP has so many ships you need an Inferno build to use them all. There are so many that it's almost bewildering to open the ship dropdown in FRED and trying to find the one you want.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
There is nothing stopping anyone from making new ships.  All you have to do is follow the rules and make it a mod.   New ships for people to use and TBP stays final. 

The sad part is all the people say they are going to make new ships for their mission or their campaign but they normally disappear after a few weeks and are never heard of again.  No new campaigns, no new ships. 

I personally don't do single player stuff because I suck at plot and hate doing research to stay canon.  I tend to concentrate on multi so I'm content to work with what is there.  Well actually less until regular builds break the 130 ship limit.  There is a lot of good stuff you can come up with with what is there now. 

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I think besides the Lumati ship and the Thirdspace portal, every other ship seen in the show is available.
And a lot of non-canon designs.

What TBP needs are campaigns, not new ships, imo.