Author Topic: Hitpoint of a moon  (Read 17871 times)

Offline eliex

To be fair, even a few Meson Bombs can devastate a planet similar to Earth given that they are several times more powerful than the modern nuclear bomb and they hit heavily populated areas.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Hello!? A 640 hp gigatonne habringer means 50 000 hp 78 gigatonne meson bomb.
78 gigatonne meson bomb Vs 50 megatonne Nucleur Bomb

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Now if there was a planet killer someone made...

SPD Vinaashak from INFR1? SPD probably meant "Shivan Planet Devastator".
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:53:45 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Shivan Planet Destroyer, IIRC.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Weird seeing you online at this time, Droid803. Seems as if it's against the laws of physics . . .

And SPD is Shivan Planet Destroyer. But works like the Icanus, I think. Though I remember something in its tech description that it has a shield to protect it from planet's debris?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Yes, it does. I recall it to be a sheath shield as well.

I'm not sure about it working like the Icanus, though, because the USilv is very strong but short-lived.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Can you copy paste the Icanus' and Vinashaak's tech descriptions? Cause it seems to me that the Icanus can only make a planet totally uninhabitable in a single shot, though its beam is much stronger, while the Vinashaak needs a shield from debris of planets, while it has weaker weapons.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Here you go:

Quote from: SPD Vinaashak Tech Description, Inferno Release 1
The first Vinaashak encountered by the Alliance accompanied the Gigas. With a smaller subspace weapon, analysts have suspected that this ship is designed for use against planets from orbit - the intense gravitational shear produced by the subspace emitter would effectively cause the target's crust to tear itself apart. This monolithic vessel has no other forward armament, but possess a capital ship sheath-shield similar to that of the Lucifer, possibly intended to protect against large planetary fragments unleashed in the aftermath of firing its main weapon.

Quote from: TSJ Icanus Tech Description, Inferno Release 1
When one looks at the Icanus, it is usually with relief that the EA war ended before she could be used in combat. Clearly the largest weapon ever produced, the Icanus' twenty-kilometer long hull houses an amazing quarter of a million crew, dozens of super-heavy beam cannons and the most formidable weapons package ever conceived. The EA's incredible weapon was orginally designed to destroy the surface of a planet by blasting the crust with its main gun until the resulting tectonic eruptions tore entire landmasses apart. The same weapon is also of great use against the largest of warships. Her entry into immediate service came about due to the arrival of the Shivan Gigas into the Sol system. She was able to destroy the super-juggernaut, renewing the optimism of EA and GTVA commaders in every theatre.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:59:03 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Can you copy paste the Icanus' and Vinashaak's tech descriptions? Cause it seems to me that the Icanus can only make a planet totally uninhabitable in a single shot, though its beam is much stronger, while the Vinashaak needs a shield from debris of planets, while it has weaker weapons.
It's been said that the subspace weapon's damage in the tables isn't representative of its true strength. It was only ever meant to be used as a scripted event.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
You mean like how the Ravana creams the Lysander with a self-destruct SEXP? :drevil:
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
That was a SEXP?! That changes a bit.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
That was a SEXP?! That changes a bit.

Actually, the SEXP is a failsafe mechanism in that mission. The LReds on the Ravana are strong enough to destroy the Lysander in one salvo each, but if you ~ + I the Lysander, it self-destructs instead.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Kie99

The Ravana fires two LReds from each turret at the same time in that mission.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Though this thread appears to have drifted a bit...I'm going to comment on the original topic.  I'd actually have to say that I think sufficient (at most 80, probably many less, perhaps only a few) Sathanas could probably destroy (blow apart with extreme force or annihilate utterly) a moon.

Reasoning: They can destroy a star.  Now, this is, if I recall correctly (and I may well not) probably due to some sort of subspace disruption to the star's stability.  However, stars are inherently stable, being extremely massive objects held in a spherical shape by gravity and prevented from collapse by radiation pressure as they fuse their hydrogen (helium, etc, later on) fuel.  Now, this is pure conjecture, but given the color of Capella's star, it seems to be in primary sequence, burning by far primarily hydrogen.  This means it likely has a very long time to live remaining, naturally.  Given that stars also tend to be self-stabilizing (they'll "vent" off extra mass if necessary, if the radiation pressure increases too much, and collapse will increase fusion rate and thus radiation pressure, auto-stabilizing it that way too), it's really very hard to cause a star to go truly supernova when it isn't ready to, meaning out of fuel.  As far as I am aware, you have about four options to do so:
1: Cause a pressure-wave in the star sufficient to forcefully collapse the star against the (increasing as it collapses) radiation pressure, and sufficiently powerful that the resulting "rebound" causes what amounts to a supernova.  Requires a stupidly large amount of energy.  Quite likely more than the sun gives off.
2: Make it stop fusing.  Right.  Not happening.  Maybe in a million years, Shivans.
3: Rip off the outer layers by brute force and propel them at massive speed.  Not likely, and may actually require a more absurd amount of energy than option 1...and is really very pointless. Also not a true supernova, basically a forced mass ejection.
4: Create a subspace anomaly that does one of several things:
   a: causes gravitational anomalies inside the star sufficient to cause the equivalent of a pressure wave, or collapse, thus causing a supernova
   b: causes a removal of material from the core via a subspace tunnel or similar, again causing a collapse/rebound supernova effect.
   c: introduces enough extra radiation pressure/matter/antigravitational force via unknown means to tear the star apart or cause it to blow up.

Given that these are subspace weapons, 4 is really the only probable option, I do believe, and likely in fact 4a or 4b.  Given 4, the subspace anomalies required to do any of those would probably rip apart most planets or moons (or devour them, whatnot) with relative ease, even if not per se designed to.

There does exist the possibility that Capella did not actually go supernova, that, for example, it was just an enormous mass ejection, but that seems unlikely given the depiction and description, as well as the assumed purpose.  I wouldn't really see a point in the Shivans fake-blowing-up a star unless it would give them a tactical advantage - and they'd already pwnt the GTVA by that point.

Given past discussions, I'd say it seems obvious that Capella went truly supernova, and for that to happen, even just the energy required to trigger that would probably make a rapidly-expanding cloud of debris - and possibly atomic-level dust - out of most moons.  Thus even just one Sath, or a few, might be able to pulverize a moon with quite reasonable effectiveness.

Random note: first post here, ever.  And what a random - and lengthy - first post it is.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Welcome to HLP, Enismirdal. Your explanation is very good, too. :)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
It actually makes a lot of sense. If Shivans could destroy a star, a moon wouldn't even cause them to sweat. o_o

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
If this post isn't your last, Enismirdal, then...

* Androgeos Exeunt fires his BABeam.

Don't worry about a lengthy post. It's much better than quintuple-posting and it's a lot shorter than my first post at any rate.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
It's probably a hundred times the length of my first post. :lol:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The Ravana fires two LReds from each turret at the same time in that mission.
I had a screenshot of it firing eight LReds at the same time on that mission, a SAAA beam got in my way and blocked the entire shot. :doubt:

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
;7

But anyway, back on the topic, what Enismirdal says makes sense, but keep in mind that not every Shivan ship has a subspace weapon. It took the full force of 80+ subspace motivators in order for Capella to go.

Given that sense, only one Sathanas is needed to blow up a planet with its subspace motivator.

Then again, way back in FS1, the Lucifer took 13 hours to bombard Vasuda and render the planet uninhabitable. The canon Lucifer can only accomplish this using the Shivan Super Lasers at the front, which have damage values slightly inferior to that of the LRed in FS2. Two LReds can destroy a Deimos corvette in seven seconds, and a Deimos corvette has 80 000 hit points.

13 hours = 780 minutes = 46 800 seconds
Multiplier= 46 800 / 7 = 6685.71428571428

In addition, given that the Lucifer didn't destroy Vasuda but only rendered it completely uninhabitable, the hit point of a planet with a crust the size of Vasuda would be the combined hull strength of 6685.7 Deimos corvettes, equating to 534 857 142 hitpoints, rounded down to the nearest whole number.

If a moon is one-tenth the size of Vasuda, then it would have 53 485 714 hitpoints.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:41:59 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan