Author Topic: Hitpoint of a moon  (Read 18035 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Obviously. Don't tell me that a system with a sun 10 times larger than Sol takes the same amount of time to cool as when a sun the size of Sol blows up and cools down.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:34:31 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Well of course.  I was just saying that I don't know any of the exact figures, not that there aren't correlations like that.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I'm thinking... a few thousand years... at least.

That would not surprise me, at all, especially since supernova generated nebulas can be light-years in size and the particles that form them travel much, much slower.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
The Knosos nebula could have formed before humans came into existence for all we know. =/

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
One thing you guys aren't really taking into account is the density of the remnant nebula.  I don't have any numbers on how dense supernova remnants tend to be, or how quickly they spread and dissipate, but I do know that nebulae in general tend to be exceedingly sparse, many orders of magnitude less dense than what we experience in FS2's nebula missions.  (Obviously, :v: took some artistic license with the nebula for gameplay purposes.)  Even if the nebular gas was at an extremely high temperature, its extremely low density would mean that anything passing through it probably wouldn't be affected at all, especially considering the sort of weapons fire that FS2 ships are built to withstand.  A similar principle is at work in a layer of Earth's atmosphere called the thermosphere, as well as within the Sun's corona.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Yeah, but I really think that it's impractical to do that just to destroy a planet. Why not just bombard it like they did to VP?

This is true, mongoose, but i would assume that regarding the nebula in question - from a recently-exploded star - it's rather more a question of the shortest amount of time possible before the nebula becomes passable.  Even a nebula such as that would take a little while at minimum to get sufficiently cool and expand enough to allow even a Shivan vessel to pass safely through it.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Would a Lucy be very effective for that purpose..? Shields keep out lots of damage, maybe it would only take a few hundred years.

A supernova often realeases something like 10^28 megatons of energy into the surrounding interstellar medium

You know, it just might be.  The shields on a Lucy would probably vastly decrease the amount of time required for a new nebula to be passable.