Allow me to destroy your feelings of light and love with an analytical breakdown of why something that is cherished continues to exist. Reasons for FreeSpace SCP/FSU/HLP Community Longevity:
1) OPEN SOURCE (!!)
2) Extremely talented people at the core
3) Innate modability; total conversions that bring in new people; port project merging Fs1 + Fs2 followings
4) Lack of competition from other space sims/action games for various reasons
5) FreeSpace universe not tied to the often suicidal ebb and flow of a larger universe or franchise
6) Horrific living death/zombification of Interplay and the lack of a FreeSpace 3
8) *$5 words for the Fs2 engine being just the right combination of oldschool sensibilties and modern possibilties*
FreeSpace will probably never
die, and that's actually wierd to think about. Hard Light Productions will perish, but someone will always stumble onto this game, find archived media_vps, and a mini-revival will take place. So much content has been built up that the game could pretty much continue on being played until we develop permanent virtual reality (
) or stop manufacturing computer games. There's too much inertia for it to die.
Actually, I think command said that about the Collosus...nevermind, everything in that last paragraph is bull****.