Author Topic: Amazing  (Read 2063 times)

Im a longtime member of this board but I don't often visit this forum these days.  I just wanted to say that I am amazed at how after all this time it is just as vibrant and alive as I remember.   :v:  came up with such an awesome game that people 10 years later are still playing and modding for.  Here's to another decade of awesomeness
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
 :yes:

till we grow old and get anonoying... old old and annoying people.

cheers to that one!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I remember you!
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline eliex

:yes:

till we grow old and get anonoying... old old and annoying people.

cheers to that one!

Till we influence the new generation to carry the FS torch.  ;)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I thought the new generation is already here.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I thought the new generation is already here.

Well once you get kind-of old (in comparison to me) and we both look back, that's when we'll have the new generation.

But taking into account the birth of FS a decade ago....

Raskolnikov

Allow me to destroy your feelings of light and love with an analytical breakdown of why something that is cherished continues to exist.

Reasons for FreeSpace SCP/FSU/HLP Community Longevity:

1) OPEN SOURCE (!!)
2) Extremely talented people at the core
3) Innate modability; total conversions that bring in new people; port project merging Fs1 + Fs2 followings
4) Lack of competition from other space sims/action games for various reasons
5) FreeSpace universe not tied to the often suicidal ebb and flow of a larger universe or franchise
6) Horrific living death/zombification of Interplay and the lack of a FreeSpace 3
7) BEAMZ
8) *$5 words for the Fs2 engine being just the right combination of oldschool sensibilties and modern possibilties*

FreeSpace will probably never die, and that's actually wierd to think about. Hard Light Productions will perish, but someone will always stumble onto this game, find archived media_vps, and a mini-revival will take place. So much content has been built up that the game could pretty much continue on being played until we develop permanent virtual reality (:yes:) or stop manufacturing computer games. There's too much inertia for it to die.

Actually, I think command said that about the Collosus...nevermind, everything in that last paragraph is bull****.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:10:16 pm by Raskolnikov »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
el hombre vicio...