Author Topic: Anyone doing the Boanerges?  (Read 60646 times)

Anyone doing the Boanerges?
I'm a long time fan of FS2, and a 3D modeller by trade. I figure I can get some more experience in modelling by HTL'ing one of the fighters. The GTB Boanerges is the only Terran fighter I see that hasn't had a new mesh.

Is anyone working on it already? If not, I have a second request: can someone send me a 3DS Max compatible file for the Boanerges? Either the original version or the MediaVP model would do. I tried messing around with PCS2, but failed completely at it.

I'll also try to make at least some kind of texture for it, but I can't promise anything. I've never remodelled something like this.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Anyone doing the Boanerges?
Artemis bombers still need a new model and the Myrmidon needs a little bit of another touch-up.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Ok, I've attached two different formats for the Boanerges, DAE and 3DS.
They're both in the RAR.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The Myrmidon already has a touch up. You'll be seeing it soon.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Ooh nice.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Will there be a proper cockpit this time?

Oh and regarding the Boanerges, is that black strip of paint on the front meant to represent the cockpit or something?

Well, that was a swift response. I think I can happily say my reaction is... :3

I can see what they were gunning for there. Let me see if I can clean this up. I'll try to keep the poly count under control. I'll leave the cockpit alone for now, as you guys seem to share a singular model for it.

Also, 900 odd verticies cohabiting where 200 should be? o_O

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
Go for it!! we'll back you up ^^
el hombre vicio...

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Oh and regarding the Boanerges, is that black strip of paint on the front meant to represent the cockpit or something?

That seems to be the consesus. Although IMO the Boanerges is so ugly that it might be a better idea to follow the vanilla design only loosely and draw more inspiration from the concept art instead.

"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

That seems to be the consesus. Although IMO the Boanerges is so ugly that it might be a better idea to follow the vanilla design only loosely and draw more inspiration from the concept art instead.

I strongly agree with that. Make it look like SOMETHING!

IMO the Boanerges looked like a drone, with its lack of cockpit and boxy shape. Please Fix.

That top design doesn't look too bad, if you could "borrow" the Loki's canopy or something....

buh.

Wish I had that concept art before.  :(

I'll show you what I was working on before I saw that. This is NOT FINISHED; it's just the direction I am (or was) taking, took me an hour or two. I know that I ain't touched the cockpit yet, but I'd like the cockpit model all the other fighters use before I do that.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam

that one is the best, the cockpit is great and the gun placements are better than on the original retail model.

el hombre vicio...

Offline Vip

I for one really enjoyed the Boanerges. And not only its looks (which I find quite original and fresh) but also how it flies. To be honest, I always prefer the Boanerges to Ursa - it handles way better, has good gun placement and still lots of firepower (no, the turret on the Ursa does virtually NOTHING), and trying to dogfight in Ursa is even worse that trying to do the same in any other bomber. Plus, Boanerges has a smaller side and front profile.

On the other hand, I'm the guy who quite dislikes the Perseus :P
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

I can easily move the guns to either side of the cockpit, but that would involve messing with how the Boanerges plays. I was under the impression you didn't move anything that affects gameplay, which is why all the new high-poly cruisers have turrets in the very same place.

I'm sure I can at least make the existing guns look manlier.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Yup, any HTL-ifiaction should NOT alter game balance, so model dimensions and weapon placement should remain the same. This is only a visual upgrade.

As for the concept art... there are quite some interesting design elements that you could incorporate into your model, like the different cockpit styles, a way more interesting bomb bay shape or that cool underslung intake on the second pic.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Good thinking on the intake, but I disagree about it being underslung. There's an area on the top that looks like a stupendously low-poly intake. What do you think of my interpretation?

I also tried to make the engines seem beefier and armor plated. Forgive the small defect to the left, I'm gonna fix that now.

Some new guns are on as well, in the same place as the old ones.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I have to say, I think that is cowing along just nicely.

Very nice indeed. I especially like the split runner on the sides leading to the engines, a nice original touch.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
You don't have to agree with anybody ;) You model it. You decide what's right.
I just pitched the conecpt art in for some inspiration, your upgrade is more faithfull to the original model, but it's already looking a LOT more like a ship and less like a random amalgamation of polygons :yes:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I always thought the Bone was one of the ugliest and least playable ships in the game. An extensive revamp like the concept art would be excellent, but keeping it more traditional while pulling in some elements would be great too.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
While I do like the way that model is turning out, it doesn't change the fact that the Boanerges all-in-all is a pretty damn ugly ship, but you're making it look a lot better.

And I still can't pronounce the damn word.