Author Topic: Are Battlestar Fans Trek fans?  (Read 17051 times)

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Are Battlestar Fans Trek fans?
Love BSG, also love Trek, just saw the movie, Wow, thought it was great. Screw the timeline!! Thrill-ride of a film!!!!!  :D

Is it true that Ron Moore was a script writer of Star Trek: 'The Next Generation'?

What anyone think of the film anyhow?

Are BSG fans also Trek fans?  ;7
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Are Battlestar Fans Trek fans?
Yeah, Ron Moore worked on TNG. Was responsible for "Best of Both Worlds 1+2", IIRC. Later went on to be responsible for DS9. As for the new Trek film, there are two threads dedicated to it over in the General discussion board you might want to check out.

Are BSG fans Trek fans? Well, they can be. But BSG and Trek are far too different to make general statements about how much the fandom overlaps, IMHO.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

Well, if you're a sci fi fan, there's really no way around trek - it's been around since forever in a lot of incarnations, and has become one of the first, if not the first association people have when sci-fi is mentioned. Personally I don't really like to compare, because BSG and Trek are two very different things (though I have to admit to preferring the nBSG series over anything trek's ever done). But as long as I don't expect Trek to be like BSG, I find it possible to enjoy it - at least the good bits of it.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Jangiri

just whatever happens to star trek and BSG plz someone shut down enterprise. that show is just awful. it's slowly killing science fiction.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Enterprise has been canceled for years.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's how slowly it's killing it ;)

I will say this for Enterprise, there wasn't one single episode that was worse than the intro song.

Offline Jangiri

the one thing worse than that show is the fact that the sci-fi channel is still showing it. along with all of those cheap miniseries' that are being spammed out on sci-fi. we need Firefly back

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I will say this for Enterprise, there wasn't one single episode that was worse than the intro song.
Hey...I liked that song. :p

I liked the third season version, after they took out the choir and added in the drumline.

Offline Frost

BSG fan and Trek fan here. Though I'm not really a fan of all Trek or all BSG... I liked the 1970s BSG, but I wasn't that big of a fan, and to be honest the show hasn't aged that well even though I loved it as a kid. I am a HUGE fan of the 2003 BSG, however.

Far as Trek, huge TOS fan, minor TNG fan, never saw enough DS9 to have an opinion, hated Voyager.

Someone mentioned Enterprise... while I didn't care for Enterprise at the start, I actually thought the show got really good once they ditched Berman and Bragga with their contrived, recycled storylines and got some good writing as well as multi-episode arcs. I really enjoyed seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise, and I dare say I thought it was as good as Trek has been since TOS. It's just a shame all the viewers had been driven off by then. It was also an enormous shame the show ended the way it did. The two parter that was the second to last episode would've made a fantastic finale. Instead they let Berman and Bragga back to take a giant steaming crap on the show and ruin what had been done with it in seasons 3 and 4, killing off one of the major characters for no reason whatsoever and then turning the entire show into a TNG episode. I kind of wish the show had gone the full seven seasons, as the writing from seasons 3 and 4 combined with the lead-up to and start of the Terran-Romulan War could've made for some amazing TV.

As far as the new movie, no comments yet. Going to see it at the IMAX tomorrow afternoon at 1:45.  :D

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
the new movie is horrible.

Silly illogical senseless movie for the transformer's loving teenie crowd. Terrible plot. Lame action in the second half.

Transformers was fun, I admit it. This one wasn't.
The whole explanation how and why things happen is just plain illogical, impossible, artificial and WRONG.
And when the action isn't fun anymore, nothing can save the movie.

And so many moments which are just not Trek. For example:
Spoiler:
Making fun of Russians, Chekov is presented as a clownish nerd with an acent so bad the computer can't understand his voice commands. Indeed, that's understanding among nations.

or

Spoiler:
Throwing Kirk (he's not Captain at this point) of the ship with a kick in the ass aka the escape pod because of mutiny above a planet full of monsters. THIS IS STAR TREK! Hell, why not exectue him right away?
It's just a terrible plot device to move the story. Up to this point, the movie was okay, everything after that is ****.

The good: The actors of Kirk, Spock, Uhura and best Mccoy (it's Karl Urban) are superb.
Eric Bana is also great as the villian. Saddly, that's the only good thing about the villian, even he can't turn the tide, this character comes right from "bad idea hell", not to mention the above mentioned illogical and impossible explanation of his motives.

And the finale is boring as hell.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hey...I liked that song. :p

'It's been a long road
Getting more Star Trek to appear
It's been a long road
Let's stretch the franchise for another year

And I can feel the change in my pocket now
Hopefully this job will pay
I've got a bucket of gravel here
And I'd just like to say

I've got fake laryngitis
I'll sing like Brian Adams
They've got cash, that I need
So I will sing anything
We're real low, in the polls
How can we improve these figures?
Let's kill one, of the cast
I've got fake (I've got fake)
Fake Laryngitis...

:P

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
What tomfoolery is this?  Its obvious they are mutually exclusive conditions.  You would need to be some freak on nature not constrained by the laws of physics to be fans of both.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
<--- Is a freak of nature ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Cause TOS had an absolute sing-along classic. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Depending on the availability of Bulldog clips.... :nervous:

Offline Rainman

Love BSG, hate Trek. No offense to anyone out there, that's just my opinion.

Keep in mind BSG brought a whole new bunch of fans. I used to never watch anything on the sci-fi channel until one of my friends put BSG season 1 on my ipod. I ended up loving the show just because of its perfect mix of qualities.

I just hate the idea of aliens, and BSG actually had the existence of AI make sense. It also concentrated on the military life and featured a lot of explosions, which appeals to another massive fan base without turning most of them off with aliens and unexplanable beings. It also makes you love the characters because they are so well thought up, so it became a drama as well.

I tried watching other sci fis, couldn't stand them. Just saying that there are some fans like me out there who don't really like sci fi much but BSG is just the perfect show for them.

And was anyone surprised by the amount of hate messages on the memorial wall on the sci fi site? I really didn't think anyone had much to hate about the show if they had seen it. Its name does come off a little spacey though, but that couldn't have caused all that hate.

I also love BSG (ok, worship), and hate Star Trek. Just never been able to get into it like I have other sci-fi. That being said, I'll also agree that BSG's audience is much more diverse than just the sci-fi crowd. My middle-aged librarian mom, and her coworkers, all watched and loved BSG. The most surreal moment I had was going to the library my mom worked at, and seeing her animatedly discussing the final BSG episode with one of her coworkers. BSG had the quality of being a superb character drama, that just happened to be set in a sci-fi setting. Star Trek is really just pure sci-fi. Not that that's bad, and not that Star Trek is bad either; it's just not for me. However, I'm still going to see the movie.  :D

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Exactly. By omitting Aliens (and technobabble) and concentrating on character stories, BSG, and Firefly before it, had a greater potential to draw in people who didn't like SciFi than Trek ever did, IMHO.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

And so many moments which are just not Trek. For example:
Spoiler:
Making fun of Russians, Chekov is presented as a clownish nerd with an acent so bad the computer can't understand his voice commands. Indeed, that's understanding among nations.

The original show, of course, was far above stereotyping Chekov or using him as comic relief based on his nationality. He was never given the appearance of being an awkward nerd, say, by following Spock around like a puppy dog, or trying to pick up space-hippy chicks. And, of course, we'd never see humor coming out of a ridiculously exaggerated accent preventing him from properly pronouncing words like "victor" or, I don't know, "vessels." In the phrase "nuclear vessels," for instance.

Why, the original Chekov was a model of a mature and entirely serious depiction of a non-american culture. I'm sure the original Chekov would be the very first person to go so far as to say that understanding among nations was "a russian inwention."