Author Topic: Are Battlestar Fans Trek fans?  (Read 17044 times)

Offline IceWulfe

• mmmm sheeep
Re: Are Battlestar Fans Trek fans?
OK I  watched the movie 5 times before it struck me like a freight train. The screw ups the writers made. As you all know IM OLD And a big sci fi
fan so with this in mind I do know what Im talking about. Lets start with the old series.. James T. Kirk had an OLDER Brother where is he?
Another is the attack by the future romulan rogue on Klingon destroying 47 cap ships this puts the klingon threat level to 0 which makes most of
the old episodes non existant now. Oh now Vulcan dont exist so the episode where Spock and Kirk go there for the right of pum fa where he fights kirk does not happen now. OHHH and as far as the movies go In search for spock dont exist because Vulcan and his mother dont exist..
So the movie left me with one big mind FRAK to figue out..Oh tuvok on voyager dont exist either...
DON'T go full retard

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's a new timeline created by Nero's interference. Anything could happen.

There were some scenes with Kirk's brother shot, but they were all cut during editing (except for one, when young Kirk passes him on the road in the stolen car, but they redubbed his name in that one).

Offline newman

I'm not sure why so many people are having trouble understanding this is an alternative timeline - they even said so in the movie. That means that our original trek timeline is still intact - trek holds to the theory that every choice ever possible does happen, in parallel quantum realities. We were simply witness to a different reality now. It was basically done so JJ can do whatever the hell he pleases without worrying about upsetting the already established trek timeline. Doesn't mean Tuvok or Vulcan still don't exist in the TNG universe we saw before.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Why does anything remotely related (or not) get posted in Diaspora? This is not a related topic, putting "battlestar" in the title does not make it related.

/rant
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Spock should have started growing a goatee near the end, that would have rocked.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Why does anything remotely related (or not) get posted in Diaspora? This is not a related topic, putting "battlestar" in the title does not make it related.

/rant

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This does probably belong in GenDisc, but I think a merge would be a bit confusing at this point.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
It's because we like to have our own community here.

I'd say the larger hard-light community doesn't appeal to a number of diaspora fans, so we keep ourselves here.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
But...there's no difference!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Yeah, cause the thread in Gen Dis did so well. :p

It's not worth merging it at this point anyway.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Snagger

I'm specifically interested in a high quality BSG game, not a good quality space combat sim.  That means that I look here and occasionally at BTRL, and that's it.  So, it's nice to have a community that can wander a little off topic, staying within sci-fi bounds (I use other forums for different hobbies and my profession).  A little light hearted chat does no harm - those who are not interested in Trek, in this case, can just ignore the thread.

Personally, I thought it was great.  My wife and 8 year old son loved it too.  Making it a new timeline was momentarily cringeworthy, its been done in Trek so many times already (and SG1), but it was done well and was ingenious in giving Abrams a complete free hand in new stroies, not having to worry about established canon at all.  they can focus on high quality story telling for a more sophisticated and educated audience and simultaneously make it more appealing to the Trekkie bashers.  I'd give it a good 9/10. The only thing I didn't like was Scottie's assistant, who was in there for the same reason as the Ewoks and JarJar.

I also don't see what the problem is with having discussions that aren't necessarily about Diaspora, but at least connect to BSG...this is the only HLP forum I visit, so the sense of community is appreciated. Anyways, I ended up seeing the movie, and thought it was pretty good; granted, I know so little about Star Trek, I needed my Trekkie friend to explain some things to me. I still don't like most of the television shows, but I'd certainly go see another movie like this. And BSG is still far superior.

Offline Jangiri

personally I think that the new timeline could actually make things more interesting. if they do decide to make a series or more movies from this i will gladly be the first in line for the premiers

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
you don't need a parallel universe to do a successful reboot StarTrek.
(ironic isn't it, I post this in a BSG place which definitely needed one  :lol:)

You could just place the setting some years after Nemesis (a period which lacks any old villain: Borg dead, Cardassians still rebuilding their home, Kligons allied, Romulans a lot more friendly after Nemesis, Dominion far away) and do a complete reboot there, by traveling to other galaxies, having a very hostile alien race come out from somewhere (again, another galaxy), political troubles in the Federation, WHATEVER!!!

But I guess you need a new universe to pull off stupid jokes like beaming into a water pipe, having StarWars monsters and mentors ( just look at ObiWan Pike and Joda Old-Spock, not to mention the Farm Boy Hero Kirk  :ick:) as well as thrill-seeking teens going to war while beating the crap out of fellow teens on the bridge of a giant space warship that looks like a Oil Refinery inside  :mad:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
you don't need a parallel universe to do a successful reboot StarTrek.
(ironic isn't it, I post this in a BSG place which definitely needed one  :lol:)

You could just place the setting some years after Nemesis (a period which lacks any old villain: Borg dead, Cardassians still rebuilding their home, Kligons allied, Romulans a lot more friendly after Nemesis, Dominion far away) and do a complete reboot there, by traveling to other galaxies, having a very hostile alien race come out from somewhere (again, another galaxy), political troubles in the Federation, WHATEVER!!!

But I guess you need a new universe to pull off stupid jokes like beaming into a water pipe, having StarWars monsters and mentors ( just look at ObiWan Pike and Joda Old-Spock, not to mention the Farm Boy Hero Kirk  :ick:) as well as thrill-seeking teens going to war while beating the crap out of fellow teens on the bridge of a giant space warship that looks like a Oil Refinery inside  :mad:

Not if they wanted to attract new fans.  Some Neo Next Generation wouldn't have done squat compared to the reboot even if it were a better film.

Offline newman

Not if they wanted to attract new fans.  Some Neo Next Generation wouldn't have done squat compared to the reboot even if it were a better film.

Not necessarily, depending on how it's done; if you set it sufficiently far in the future - say, 100 or even more years after the picard era, you'd be justified in changing a lot of things. With proper marketing you could sell that as the new trek for a wider audience. Personally I'd have preferred then this constant revisiting of the past - Kirk did his bit for king and country, surely others can have a go? Thing is, prequels and reboots are trendy now, and that's what they wanted this new trek to be so they went for a prequel.
That said, I wouldn't mind it in this prequel format either, if the story wasn't so extremely weak and full of plotholes, reducing the movie to a loose collection of fancy CGI sequences featuring overdesigned and overlit stuff at every corner.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
That would have been a harder sell though.  Kirk and Spock are iconic, it has the ability to draw in the crowds based off that alone.  Captain *** of the NCC-1701M doesn't do that for the franchise. 

1) People are in general familiar with Kirk and the Enterprise, and they will see this as a possibly sussessful reboot just like the recent Batman movies. They expect to be able to watch the film not needing to know the "verse". The TMP era had the benefit of having a large fanbase but also being standalone. You could watch the TMP movies without having watched the series and still enjoy them. There isn't some massive learning curve for everyone.

2) Let's say they did do a post DS9 or Voyager movie.  It wouldn't be pick up and run with it for the general movie going population. At least not without a massive marketing campaign.  The TNG movies were able to pull it off somewhat since TNG was fairly popular, but anything post TNG is just going to be to unfamiliar for most movie goers. Even if they made an excellent post DS9 movie, it might energize the fan base but it won't be some massive hit across the population like LotR or Batman.

Now I'm not arguing this from a fan perspective but a business one, this gamble paid off for Paramount big time.  I know plenty of folks who would have had piss all interest in some post DS9 movie who loved this one.  I can appreciate the sentiment  of them taking a giant dump on your canon, I've seen my favorite franchise revamped for selling four year olds toys and the Force turned into parasites in your blood stream :P  But at least your revamp was written for adults. 

In addition you need to think of what this does to the franchise as a whole, which lets be honest has been struggling in recent years.  A movie that garnered this much attention will be high test fuel for future projects.  Sure you might have had to eat a Big Mac now but there is a pretty good chance that it will pay for prime rib later.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
it may be A BIT harder to sell but not that much.
A post Nemesis story would never had to reference anything in a way that could scare of new fans. You could go in any direction possible, from Soap to war story to classic Boldly going. You could even do a StarTrek BSG, you could do anything.
Even making a teen movie.

But you pointed out two very important things.

1.) It payed off big time. Which sucks. They are already making a sequel which could be better or could be even worse. But it won't return to what made Trek great in the past.

2.) You have a point. It could even be worse than it is now. Thanks for reminding me of Episode 1.  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:19:32 pm by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
I enjoyed the movie so I'm a potential from now on. Subsequently I positively hope that several reimagined ol' shows are gonna be made; for the sake of the SCIFI industry.

PS: FYI, I'm also a non reimagined Pink Panther fan; had to say it
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer