Author Topic: L4D is the perfect engine on which to port a Starship Troopers conversion.  (Read 5524 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
L4D is the perfect engine on which to port a Starship Troopers conversion.
Discuss.  :pimp:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: L4D is the perfect engine on which to port a Starship Troopers conversion.
It would be awesome, yeah. You'd need totally new maps and weapons (par for the course for a TC), but I don't know how the Director would work with that.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Which Starship Troopers?

The book, the movies, the anime, the other anime, Roughnecks, the RTT game, the tabletop solo game, the other tabletop game?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I would love anything to be based of the book.  Anything except another Paul Verhoeven movie that is.  He raped the book so hard :(.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I would love anything to be based of the book.  Anything except another Paul Verhoeven movie that is.  He raped the book so hard :(.

Oh god, the first Starship Troopers was so bad. How the hell does someone survive getting stabbed through the heart by a 3-foot wide bug pincer thing?

Anyway, the director wouldn't have a problem with doing anything like this. Just replace the zombie models with bugs and you've got the same effect. Zombie horde = bug swarm.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The Starship Troopers movie ruled, and I will brook no argument on that. Barely has anything to do with the book, but that's irrelevant. It rules.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mxlm

Oh god, the first Starship Troopers was so bad.

I take it you never watched the second one. That was abominable.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Narvi

The engine is Source. L4D is a game based upon the Source engine.

If you have HL2, incidentally, look up Antlion Troopers.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Which Starship Troopers?
The book, the movies, the anime, the other anime, Roughnecks, the RTT game, the tabletop solo game, the other tabletop game?

or the video game based on the movie :)  ?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
compared to Starship troopers 2 and Starship Troopers 3 : Marauder, the first one kicked ****ing ASS.

so did the tactical rts-ish game (Starship Troopers: Terran Ascension)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
there are no sequels to Starship Trooper. Do you understand?
I AM NOT AWARE THAT THERE IS A SEQUEL!

Cube has no sequels too.

Does anybody disagree?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:32:20 am by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Starship Troopers did not have sequels.  It had knock-offs.  And bad ones, even for knock-offs.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Considering that I only found the original to be enjoyable in the "so bad it's good" context, I don't see what there is to be worked up about.  Though I could easily see those "sequels" falling right down to "so bad it's terrible." :p

The sequels sucked.  Badly.  They were straight-to-DVD releases.  That's how bad they were.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Mikes

The sequels sucked.  Badly.  They were straight-to-DVD releases.  That's how bad they were.

They were a disgrace to straight-to-DVD releases.

Seriously... the gulf in quality between the first movie and the movies that came after is just ridiculous.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I played the FPS. I suck at FPS, but it was ok. Except I gut stuck on Plasma Mountain. I had saved my game at one point, and when I reloaded it the AI squad forgot that it was supposed to not just cluster around me keeping me from moving and advancing through the level. And I didn't want to restart from the beginning.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Okay, serious now.

Accurately reproducing the feel of Starship Troopers (nearly any of them) is going to require some work with L4D.

First, as Heinlein stated, if you trade 100 Bugs for 1 human soldier, it's a net win for the Bugs. The simplest way to accomplish this is to dumb down the individual threat of your enemies and add lots more of them for the proper feel. Of course, this induces lag.

Second: You will be cruificed if you don't include the power armor (if nobody steps up to do it themselves, I will). Novel Marauder suits would be nice but we don't know anything about them. Terran Ascendancy Marauders are better documented and we have a good idea of their capablities; there are also different suit types like the Command, Engineering, and Scout suits in Terran Ascendancy, and there are different classes of such suits, so the L4D theme of different players with different abilities can be maintained (though a visual redesign for some of the more nonsensical Matrix APU-like types would be recommended). Roughnecks had the standard Power Suits and the heavier Marauders; Power Suits are closer to the novel's feel but light on the firepower, Marauders are large, heavily armed and armored and nearly impossible for Bugs to destroy as long as they still have power. Cap Troops from the movies are ridiculously lightly armed and squishy; movie Marauders are apparently just not something the Bugs can actually deal with.
The overall recommendation then is that you adopt the Terran Ascendancy model. In the Terran Ascendancy mode, a Class-1 Marauder (kills targets) backed by an Engineering Suit (not very tough and crappily armed, but he'll save your life and your suit), a Class-1 Command Suit (Power Shield so he can stick himself out front and absorb damage while the others gun down targets, or do some reasonable gunning down of his own), and a Class-1 Scout Suit (some form of suitable recon device like a tiny UAV and reasonable gunning down ability) would make an ideal team and fit in with the L4D ethos of four players with disseperate abilities. Having players be able to access lesser suit Class at the start and unlockable heavier ones would play to the console unlockables mania.
That just leaves the minor matter of incorporating "on the bounce" to deal with. How such a thing as jumpjets would be done is left as an exercise to the Kalfireth.

Third: L4D can't handle the level of firepower any of the Starship Troopers settings bring to the field. Handheld flamethrowers, grenade launchers, miniaturized nuclear weapons. You can probably just smile and nod, like many modern games do about having the ability to rearrange the landscaping, but still.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:08:59 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
By some of those numerical arguments, the ideal engine to use for such a game would be that of Serious Sam. :p

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The book only mentioned three suits, iirc... Scout was the smallest, Marauder the middle, what was the biggest one?

I liked the Roughnecks Marauders, personally.

Actually, the book had Scout suits which were fast, nimble, but poorly-armed, Marauder suits which were relatively slower, but carried lots more firepower, and there were Command suits that the officers used that had extra comm gear, better sensors, and about the same armament as Marauder suits.