Author Topic: Hatshepsut  (Read 142331 times)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Erm, is it just me, or does the latest version of the POF not have any sharp edges (no edgesplit)?

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Erm, is it just me, or does the latest version of the POF not have any sharp edges (no edgesplit)?

Crap. He's right. I'll fix it tomorrow.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
So I'm running into an issue I would like for the community to decide on:

The edgesplit/smoothgroups. How noticeable is this to everyone? I just fixed that and while there is a visual difference, performance takes a hit due to more vertices being created by the edgesplit.

As it stands, with the edgesplit we end up in between the recent release and the first release performance wise.

So let me know what ya'll think, and I'll post it.

Things I've adjusted:
Edgesplit
Shinemap (MUCH better now)
Fixed docking point paths/Fighter bay paths
Detail box now encompasses slightly less polygons, but overall is much harder to notice when it is not being rendered (near impossible to notice with the thrusters blaring)
Adjusted thruster positions.
Re-added MOI.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Kolgena

I vote for fixing the smoothing as intended.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Nothing is uglier than bad smoothing. Fix it!

Offline Aardwolf

Nothing is uglier than bad smoothing. Fix it!

Bad smoothing is indeed ugly. But somehow a lot of people seem to be blind to it.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I vote for fixing the smoothing as intended.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
So it has been spoken!

Smoothing fixed, cache files included. If you do not place the cache filed correctly, it will take forever and a day for the game to remake it. FSO will appear totally and utterly crashed, but do not fear, it will be fine. Seriously, go make a sandwich. Come back. BOOM. Plasma cores inserted.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wdzy1tunnzn

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Yeah, I've had more threads about the Karnak generated that way.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Beauty, can't wait to see the turrets.

Offline Kolgena

Yeah, I've had more threads about the Karnak generated that way.

Heehee. I remember being an (embarrassed) offender :D

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Beauty, can't wait to see the turrets.

This is unfortunate, because it may be a while before you see turrets that match the awesomeness of the hatty itself.

Part of me is waiting for Raginingloli to materialize and bring forth turret awesome power extreme.

Part of me wants to just do it myself.

Offline blowfish

Erm, where did the fighterbay go?  And the engines? :wtf:

Edit: nvm
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 09:23:23 pm by blowfish »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Ooh, do we need a TBM to enable the detail boxing?

Offline blowfish

No, wait, they're there, just not visible in the techroom.  As a side note, there is a small angle from which the inside of the fighterbay is visible from outside the ship.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?

No, wait, they're there, just not visible in the techroom.  As a side note, there is a small angle from which the inside of the fighterbay is visible from outside the ship.

No, a TBM isn't needed. If you use the hatty in game, then the bay and engines only disappear when you are too far out to notice. If you look at it from every weird angle in F3, then yeah the detail box will not draw and things will get funky.

The small angle you found is there, but if I move any polys out of the detail box and onto the main hull, the gain from detail boxing minimalizes.

No, a TBM isn't needed. If you use the hatty in game, which is it's whole purpouse anyways, then the engines and bsy disappear

Offline Kolgena

You can see the detail boxed stuff in F3. Go to render options and check the Show All Details box. (I think it's called that... :nervous:)

Wow this thing looks great. I kind of feel like the big yellow lights need animation like the big red pulsing power cable thing on the Ravana. Looks pretty good anyway, good job!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wow this thing looks great. I kind of feel like the big yellow lights need animation like the big red pulsing power cable thing on the Ravana. Looks pretty good anyway, good job!

nooooooo

It looks great but they are utterly disastrous in terms of using engine resources.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I kind of feel like the big yellow lights need animation like the big red pulsing power cable thing on the Ravana.
Starting next mediavps, animated glowmaps will not be included in MV_Advanced like they used to be. Instead there will be optional vp for those. While a lot of people these days have enough VRAM to fit those in, they still use ridiculous amount of bmpman slots which are still limited. I hope in the future bmpman allocation will be dynamic.