Author Topic: Rakshasa - very slow WIP  (Read 71713 times)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Re: Rakshasa - very slow WIP
Yeah that turret looks like it could be knocked off with a broom.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Also WAY too high poly for a single turret.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
Turret so delicate, light, a beautiful peace of abstract art but you could destroy this only by looking at it. That is  not the way for building armed stuff

Offline Luis Dias

Also WAY too high poly for a single turret.

There's no other way I can make this concept fly. But I have some arguments for it:

1. Turrets are the most observed details in every cap ship (in order to destroy them!)
2. There's only one beam turret in the rakshasa apart from the pointers in the base model.
3. It will still take 100 Rakshasas to make your computer as slow as you'll get if you put your own Colly on screen  :lol:

Joking aside, what's the max polycount I should aspire to in turrets?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
If you can get the orb there to be semitransparent with an animated glow inside that would be awesome.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
What about three fingers sticking out, one on the upper part going down, two on the lower part going up, like a sinester hand closing or somewhat like that?
Oh I love sinester looking things :P , specially on the shivans.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
This is turning into the Hatshepsut thread here.  Remember, guys:  guns.  Not gargoyles, guns. :p

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
There's no other way I can make this concept fly.

Negative. A simple )( structure with the orb on top can be textured and normal-mapped to achieve a similar result. Having that many itty bitty triangles in such a small space is simply asking for trouble.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Luis Dias

There's no other way I can make this concept fly.

Negative. A simple )( structure with the orb on top can be textured and normal-mapped to achieve a similar result. Having that many itty bitty triangles in such a small space is simply asking for trouble.

Hmmm, I wonder, does the engine start to confuse the placement of those vertices, because of low error margins, or what have you? Didn't thought of that. About your idea, yeah, of course that also works. Tomorrow I'll give it a try. But something else came to my mind, and I have a question that I should probably ask elsewhere, but why not:

In Doom3, one of the biggest achievements of those guys were to make 2-10k models seem as if they were 100k. How did they do this? They made 2 models. The first with the 100k polys, and the other with the +-5k (or something). Then a program would calculate the difference and, here's the magic, would render a normals map that emulated the former. So I ask here, does this kind of thing exist for the common people, or is it still something hidden in the higher levels of the illuminati?

Yes, you see where I wanted to go here. And yes, I'm lazy  :lol:

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I can't say that I like the new orb turret. It just seems so... organic and unreal. I don't want Shivans being any ****ing closer to being organic space ****s in space.

Let's try something totally unheard of! Why not try to make it look like the normal turret?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:47:08 am by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
In Doom3, one of the biggest achievements of those guys were to make 2-10k models seem as if they were 100k. How did they do this? They made 2 models. The first with the 100k polys, and the other with the +-5k (or something). Then a program would calculate the difference and, here's the magic, would render a normals map that emulated the former. So I ask here, does this kind of thing exist for the common people, or is it still something hidden in the higher levels of the illuminati?

Yes, you see where I wanted to go here. And yes, I'm lazy  :lol:

Yes, the process is called projection. 3dsMax has the render to texture tool, which does that, but I don't like it to be honest. The best software I've encountered is called Xnormal, made by Santiago Orgaz. Run a google for it, its entirely free, easy to use, and has a very nice and small documentation.

Finally, I don't like the turret design, sorry :P Go for something more simple and shivanish
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Luis Dias

I see people are not liking it, nothing that I wasn't expecting, after all it's not exactly "canon" and anything that deviates from "canon" is always problematic.

The orb idea came from ragingloli's Hatshepsut, yes, but also from a tautology: the beam seems as if created by a point in space, not a conventional turret.

Yes, the process is called projection. 3dsMax has the render to texture tool, which does that, but I don't like it to be honest. The best software I've encountered is called Xnormal, made by Santiago Orgaz. Run a google for it, its entirely free, easy to use, and has a very nice and small documentation.

Thanks! I'll google it!

Finally, I don't like the turret design, sorry :p Go for something more simple and shivanish

I'll try harder.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I think the IDEA is fine, but the EXECUTION is problematic in the extreme. You could do something that LOOKS like that in about 100 polies, but doesn't actually have so much geometry in such a small space.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The Rakshasa look beautiful, Luis. I wouldn't change the hull design any way from what you have now.

If I'd suggest an idea for the anti-fighter beam turret I'd again suggest using "the claw" design as seen on the Lucifer's lateral turrets. This would actually be really cool when firing, as the glow would appear in the the "void of space" (if you will...) between the claws (maybe roughly comparable to the Sathanas' subspace projections?), and then blast something in the usual beamy way... hopefully not you... I could prepare another sketch if you'd like.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The Rakshasa look beautiful, Luis. I wouldn't change the hull design any way from what you have now.

If I'd suggest an idea for the anti-fighter beam turret I'd again suggest using "the claw" design as seen on the Lucifer's lateral turrets. This would actually be really cool when firing, as the glow would appear in the the "void of space" (if you will...) between the claws (maybe roughly comparable to the Sathanas' subspace projections?), and then blast something in the usual beamy way... hopefully not you... I could prepare another sketch if you'd like.

-Thaeris
This would be good if it was to be used as a default Shivan AAA design for capital ships.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Perhaps I should try and produce a sketch by tomorrow then?

;7

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

-Thaeris
This would be good if it was to be used as a default Shivan AAA design for capital ships.

Oh yes this would be awesome
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

i would prefer it if the orb was held by a rib structure with spikes sicking out of the side of the rib ends. that would be more fitting for the overall shape of the model.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I'd agree with making it a claw shape rather than an orb of any kind - an orb (especially one held by what look like squishy tentacles) just seems way too 'generic organic alien' to me as Hades pointed out, and far less Shivan because of that.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities