Author Topic: Best ...game...review EVER!!!!!  (Read 9107 times)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Best ...game...review EVER!!!!!
which calls to mind: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

I've said it before: He doesn't get the concept of a sandbox, or for that matter any form of game that doesn't spoonfeed you the storyline on rails. :P

Really? But he absolutely loves . . . gah, I always forget the name. Volition's GTA-style type game. Which is supposed to be "sandbox".

I'm honestly not a fan of the MMO-style games either. I like stories, I don't see why I should pay someone else to make my own :D
I could make my own for free sure, but pay them? nah . . .

Saint's Row?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Really? But he absolutely loves . . . gah, I always forget the name. Volition's GTA-style type game. Which is supposed to be "sandbox".

I'm honestly not a fan of the MMO-style games either. I like stories, I don't see why I should pay someone else to make my own :D
I could make my own for free sure, but pay them? nah . . .

Saint's Row?

Yes that's the one. I can never for the life of me remember the name. Happens once in a while for different things.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The thing with Yahtzee is that one shouldn't treat most of his videos as legitimately serious reviews, but instead as primarily an entertainment product.  There is some actual editorial content interspersed within them, but the majority amounts to humorous nitpicking for nitpicking's sake.  For instance, he seems to suffer from irrational, foaming-at-the-mouth hatred when encountering anything at all related to the Wii, or to Japanese RPGs (though I share some of his dislike for turn-based games in general myself).  One particularly egregious example was his video on the Wii FPS title The Conduit, where he railed on the control scheme while particularly ignoring the fact that said scheme was almost infinitely customizable and generally praised by most conventional reviewers.  This would be all well and good if everyone took his reviews at that level, but there's a whole crowd of people out there who seem to hang on his every word as if it were gospel truth; reading the commentary threads on his videos, or indeed much of The Escapist's website, becomes utterly aggravating as a result.

Maybe.  Though, the simple reality is I can absolutely understand a massive dislike of "jRPG"s, so I'm inclined to believe he actually does dislike them - which suggest he actually dislikes most if not all of his pet peeves.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Maybe.  Though, the simple reality is I can absolutely understand a massive dislike of "jRPG"s, so I'm inclined to believe he actually does dislike them - which suggest he actually dislikes most if not all of his pet peeves.
I'm not saying that he doesn't genuinely dislike certain gaming conventions and types, and I don't generally partake in JRPGs myself (in fact, the only one I have played through was Chrono Trigger, which is fantastic by any genre's standards), but many of his complaints seem to shoot straight beyond legitimate criticism to flat-out irrational vitriol.  It's as though he's unable to look beyond the tropes that he may personally dislike and recognize good game development in general.  For instance, he essentially rips the DS title The World Ends with You (a JRPG, conveniently enough) a new one for doing what games of its genre are generally supposed to do, when said game received high critical praise from pretty much all quarters.  His seeming hatred for the Wii is a whole other story that goes beyond individual game types.  I understand that, to some parties, the console seems like a bit of a flop on the "hardcore" side of things (God, I loathe that word), but is that justification to spew unabashed hate at the console as a whole, instead of measuring the merits of its individual games as games?  You'd think that someone as intelligent as he seems to be would avoid that sort of raging negative fanboyism at all costs.

The thing with Yahtzee is that one shouldn't treat most of his videos as legitimately serious reviews, but instead as primarily an entertainment product.  There is some actual editorial content interspersed within them, but the majority amounts to humorous nitpicking for nitpicking's sake.  For instance, he seems to suffer from irrational, foaming-at-the-mouth hatred when encountering anything at all related to the Wii, or to Japanese RPGs (though I share some of his dislike for turn-based games in general myself).  One particularly egregious example was his video on the Wii FPS title The Conduit, where he railed on the control scheme while particularly ignoring the fact that said scheme was almost infinitely customizable and generally praised by most conventional reviewers.  This would be all well and good if everyone took his reviews at that level, but there's a whole crowd of people out there who seem to hang on his every word as if it were gospel truth; reading the commentary threads on his videos, or indeed much of The Escapist's website, becomes utterly aggravating as a result.

Hmmn. I don't agree. If he's nitpicking for nitpicking's sake he'll usually acknowledge that and say "problems aside I really liked it" for example. The problem is a lot of his fanbase don't care for him giving good reviews so for the sake of continued success he often nitpicks for nitpicking's sake. They are entertaining yes but he does give good points about controls and so forth that are straight up and honest even if sometimes he's trying a little too hard.

Certainly he does have games he likes and others he doesn't like but don't all gamers? In fact I wouldn't be surprised if many review magazines/sites had genre-specific viewers or console-specific reviewers instead of one guy playing every game on everything.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Certainly he does have games he likes and others he doesn't like but don't all gamers? In fact I wouldn't be surprised if many review magazines/sites had genre-specific viewers or console-specific reviewers instead of one guy playing every game on everything.

PCGamer, among others, mocks you.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

PCGamer, among others, mocks you.

Well I used to buy those magazines, Computer Gaming World and I know they had different reviewers but I never bothered to follow what sorts of games they reviewed. Though I know a few had multiple reviews. Still got a stack of those bad boys in my closet at home including the one with the 4-5 pages of X-Wing tactics and walkthroughs. The "wotan weave". Classic.

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
The whole point is that he is not a normal reviewer though isn't it?
He is supposed to be entertaining and he is, although some of the points he raises are valid, and the fact that he can find many flaws with what are considered good games these days is a worrying sign, many are just nitpicking but as I said that's the point. If people take it too seriously then fine, but he produces a tongue in cheek show and it should be viewed as such
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

There is no such thing, and never has been such a thing as a 'perfect' game.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Found another gold nugget:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/916-Wolfenstein
As much as I've had some issues with Yahtzee's style in the past, that particular one really was brilliant. :D

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The whole point is that he is not a normal reviewer though isn't it?
He is supposed to be entertaining and he is, although some of the points he raises are valid, and the fact that he can find many flaws with what are considered good games these days is a worrying sign, many are just nitpicking but as I said that's the point. If people take it too seriously then fine, but he produces a tongue in cheek show and it should be viewed as such

Exactly. I watch his reviews purely for the humor, not to get any detailed and objective analysis of the games. From that point of view, he certainly doesn't disappoint. :D

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Exactly. I watch his reviews purely for the humor, not to get any detailed and objective analysis of the games. From that point of view, he certainly doesn't disappoint. :D

Although my favourite episodes are the ones where out of the blue he has a session of gushing over his favourite games.  :)
A nice change from his standard caustic humour.
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Although my favourite episodes are the ones where out of the blue he has a session of gushing over his favourite games.  :)
A nice change from his standard caustic humour.

His praise tends to be a lot more memorable. My mind keeps going back to the episode where he says something about branston pickles being combined with something else to give the world and it would be awesome. I think the humour from ripping into games only goes so far and it's a little unfortunate that he feels the need to always cater to the people who find his glowing reviews unfunny.