Author Topic: What would you do with the Freespace source code?  (Read 13023 times)

What would you do with the Freespace source code?

Originally posted by Setekh:
unless their smart enough to use CMs.  

This is FS2 AI were talking here  

seriously, i think the only game where the AI has intelligently used ECM's is Prophecy...  the Nephilim drop them EVERYWHERE...

the only way you can fight them properly is to continuously taunt them & get them into a head-on fight (most Confed guns are stronger, & fire faster)

------------------
Temporal Mechanics
What does Kazan use for birth control?
His personality!

- Ace

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Didn't they run out?  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

I have to fire my P-Vs head-on, otherwise they simply don't have enough speed to catch up with the Dragon (on afterburner, which they usually are). If my first pass misses, I have to line up behind them, watch their speed, and when it drops to about 95 (this is when their burners run out), I let the P-V loose - usually it'll take em out, unless their smart enough to use CMs.  

I guess you don't go as close to them as I do...  

For the first one, I put all power to engines from the mission start, fly up to about 20m (or less) behind it, then fire  

And I can come up to about 500m behind the second one by the time it starts firing missiles at the EP, and when it does that, I can usually fire then, and it'll either take no notice and let itself get blown up, or evade and forget about the EP  

BTW, this is on Medium difficulty  

------------------
"Right, well apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?"
"Right, well apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?"

Didn't they run out?  

even the smallest ships, like the Nephilim Moray, have around 40 ECM's as standard...

they are needed anyway, since even the  basic missiles in Prophecy are nearly twice as powerful as the FS ones...  

the MAIN problem is that the ECM's work...  well...  & FS is the only game with a resupply ship  

------------------
Temporal Mechanics
His personality!

- Ace

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Support ships... that reminds me. Shivans don't have a support ship... mostly because their ships don't last as long as ours... hmm, my thoughts wandered off. I wonder what would happen if 3 wings of Terrans took on 3 wings of equivalent Shivans - all AI - that would be a thing to watch.  

well you have to take things into concideration...

1) AI level
2) the actual type of ships
3) the actual ordinance available
4) are support ships enabled

------------------
Temporal Mechanics
His personality!

- Ace

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yes. Making an evenly balanced fight with all those considerations would be just about impossible. Just out of curiosity btw - is the AI exactly the same for Terran, Vasudan and Shivan forces? It is, right..?

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Seems the same to me. Only difference is those Shivan side thrusters...

As for killing Dragons, all I have to say is banshee.  

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
As for trying to kill a Dragon with a Banshee, I only have one word... Insane.    

or trying to kill a Nephilim Remora with the Devastators Plasma cannon  

(for the un-initiated, its nigh on impossible...  the Remora is a cluster ship (6 of them separate from a parent ship when its destroyed) & its ****ING FAST!...  meanwhile the Plasma cannon projectile is a slow moving bolt of plasma (duhh...)  its also the only gun that can penetrate cap-ship shields))

------------------
Temporal Mechanics
His personality!

- Ace

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator

The equvilant of trying to kill a Dragon with Circes. Hehhe

------------------
Long Live The Fighters!!!

Do or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Yub yub Commander! - Major Wes Janson

GTD Excellence
NeoHunter<                 [b][email protected][/b]                               >                  

Upcoming campaign: Fury Storm

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Believe it or not, I'm serious(Talking in FS1 only.) OK, maybe a banshee WITH an avenger, but aside from the flail(hard to kill a target that's always getting shoved out of range)it's the fastest primary you can arm(again, talking FS1 only). Sure, it has a slow fire rate, but you only need a few consecutive hits to take the shields down, and the high speed of the gun makes those hits easier to make. Finishing the guy off afterwards is more difficult-an avenger, or better yet, Furies if you're close enough, work wonders here.

I never used to use this gun, but I got very tired of Shivans dodging out of the way of my slower weapons.   Believe me, the Banshee can work just fine. You just have to be willing to swith guns as soon as their shields are done.

------------------

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
It doesn't help when it's a RA mission and you can't pick your loadout  

Besides, even with a Banshee, I still find it Hella [tm] hard to hit a Dragon with the maneuvring that it does on the Insane level. My shots that hit are so far and few between that by the time I hit them again, their shields are fully recharged.  

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
True dat. If you don't have time to dogfight them patiently, you're probably best off simply avoiding them or sending your whole wing after them...and even then, you'll go through lots of missiles.  

------------------

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Sending my wingmen after them is even more useless. If I can't hit the Dragon, the chances of my wingmen hitting them is... slightly less  

I wait for them to run out of burner fuel, then it's much easier to take 'em down. You can't ignore them on some missions because they take out weak prey like Elysium transports and Hermes escape pods.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
True...but to attack transports/pods they have to fly straight for a few seconds. That gives you a (very small) window in which to line up a killing stroke- think full gun blast coupled with dual P5s(dumbfired to avoid the Dragon dodging because he's being targeted) from 25m behind him... I'd think that would do it.  

------------------

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I try not to wait till then because by the time I take out the Dragon I was attending to, another couple of Dragons have taken out the transport. D'oh! So I'll just stick with my missiles.  

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Well, for me, I normally fail on these types of missions on the first try. On my second try, I go straight for the Dragons and intercept them before they even reach the transports. Problem solved.

Kind of cheapskate huh?

------------------
Long Live The Fighters!!!

Do or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Yub yub Commander! - Major Wes Janson

GTD Excellence
NeoHunter<                 [b][email protected][/b]                               >                  

Upcoming campaign: Fury Storm

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Like I said, I usually take them on head-on so that they can't outrun the missile. They can try to dodge, but usually the main factor when you have P-Vs armed is speed.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Pretty hard to dodge a P5 coming at you when you're combined speed exceeds 250 m/s(or more*COUGH*COUGH*VELOCITYMOD*COUGH*  )

I really do need to use missiles more. I've gone through entire missions without firing a single secondary...I probably call in support for repairs more often than for rearm.  

------------------