Author Topic: Changes to GTVA needed to defend against Shivans  (Read 15490 times)

Re: Changes to GTVA needed to defend against Shivans
To say that would imply they don't have have enough planets to make all the juggernauts. There's no reason why they should not.
No, the only point is that an 80 juggernaut fleet is something a single planet could provide resources for and that if the Shivans have an even larger juggernaut fleet, it doesn't necessarily imply that they control millions of systems.

It's not a bad idea/guess that the Shivans might in fact span across millions of systems.  However, there's a difference between having an idea and asserting that it must be so.

unless the shivans harvest energy from stars and convert it to matter of course

Dark Matter!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Unobtainium!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

How about a mobile extreme long range beam weapon artillery ship? One that has extendable arrays full of long range beam cannons that can be fired from a safe distance like 30km, detroy the target(s), like several  Juggernauts, and jump out before any enemy fighter/bomber even has a chance to get into weapons range? It could also be equipped with extremely quickly charging intra system jump drives to jump around the battle field to get better attack vectors and to avoid incoming bombers or capital ships that jump to their position.

I wonder if long range beam accuracy issues could be solved by simply pre-targeting them at a node.  Have a few dozen or so moljnirs calibrated to saturate the node exit volume and nothing could survive entry.

ragingloli - that'a an awesome idea for guerilla tactics in nebulas. Send some light fighters with TAGs to light up the enemy and shoot them from some hidden far-away location with artillery-like long range beams.

Targeting nodes always seem like a good idea, but I somehow doubt GTVA would be able to build a blockade capable of stopping a fleet of 80 Sathanes.

Offline Kie99

You enemy will just send fighters through and rape your Mjolnirs if you try that.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
And they'll be stopped by patrol shifts around the node. :rolleyes:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
They need some point defense sentry guns that are worth their salt.
Something with a decent punch and a shield generator.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

All they need to do is give them sentries with Morningstars.  Besides, I was talking about extending the range of the moljnir beams by not having to aim with them.

Offline Kie99

Have you ever tried defending a Mjolnir?
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Mjolnirs may be vulnerable in current shape, but they were experimental tech after all, and I'd say the experiment was a success. Mjolnir beams are the best beams in GTVAs arsenal. Some of their weaknesses could be overcome by adding more armor and shields, and probably some anti-fighter turrets, but I personally would vote for simply creating smaller versions of their beam cannons and mounting them on the ships. Even if you have to cut the damage output in half due to energy restrains, you'd still get a beam supperior to big greens.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Have you ever tried defending a Mjolnir?
Plenty of times, and I do an exceptionally good job at it.
Regardless, it's common ****ing sense to have something protecting another that defenseless. :doubt:

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
This might sound weird, but IMO it has a point;

why not create an extremely large cannon (like 1000,000 mm for instance) to target the Sathani? All the GTVA will have to do is to estimate where the Saths are, point the cannon, and fire. The shell will probaly not stop moving due to Newton's Laws of Motion (however, there might be an object blockading the path, hopefully not). Saths don't have shields, right?

OR else,

counter a Sath with like twenty-five corvettes. They just have to do a flanking manuever. If the Sath tries to move around to counter them, just keep them moving; it's like a seal trying to evade a shark.
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Unfortunately some people fail to accept the use of common sense because it typically wasn't implemented in the Retail Campaign, flank it, sure no problem, though the Sathanas could try countering by deciding to turn the other way and force the attacker to change tactics (You don't want to keep going the same direction and end up meeting with the claws would you? :P) or distract the attackers by sending in offensive craft to force the attackers to use less of its firepower on more targets and expend its forces.

The near-mile caliber gun on the other hand, that's rather impractical to put it simply.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

why not create an extremely large cannon (like 1000,000 mm for instance) to target the Sathani? All the GTVA will have to do is to estimate where the Saths are, point the cannon, and fire. The shell will probaly not stop moving due to Newton's Laws of Motion (however, there might be an object blockading the path, hopefully not). Saths don't have shields, right?
A star system is a large place and spans several light hours. Unless you expect the Sathanas to just wait there for hours for this projectile to hit it, the projectiles are moving faster than the speed of light (or use subspace) not really viable.

I'd say a much better solution would be tactically deployable meson bombs. Use the naturally high speed of subspace to deliver the bomb.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Why not just put the cannon at a node :wtf:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Space is 3D.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.

OR else,

counter a Sath with like twenty-five corvettes. They just have to do a flanking manuever. If the Sath tries to move around to counter them, just keep them moving; it's like a seal trying to evade a shark.
How do you move it? The vast amount of time required to reload it would be far longer than the time it takes for the sath behind the one you shot to recharge it's jump drives, jump to the gun, and blow it away. Far easier to just make the icanus (odd use of the word "just")

building on what commander zane said, what if the sath jumps out, calls for back up from at least another sath or simply releases hordes of bombers. In the time it takes for you to get it, or it's engines critical, it can jump away to get repaired and have wasted a whole lot of time and energy the corvettes used and gain time for the other Sathanas juggernauts to do who knows what. The Sathanas is sure to gain one if not multiple kills if the corvettes keep at it; shark's eat seals.