Poll

What's your favorite mission type/squad type in FreeSpace?

Heavy Assault/Light Bomber
27 (32.9%)
Space Superiority
14 (17.1%)
Interception
19 (23.2%)
Medium/Heavy Bomber
12 (14.6%)
Recon/Tactical
6 (7.3%)
Other - Please feel free to share!
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: March 28, 2010, 05:25:30 pm

Author Topic: FreeSpace Occupation of Choice  (Read 11877 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
FreeSpace Occupation of Choice
Pretty straight forward with little possibility of heated political/socially-related deviations - What's your favorite roll in FreeSpace to perform?

Personally, my all time favorite role has to be Heavy Assault/Tactical Bombing (think Athena/Zeus for the latter). There's nothing better than ripping cruisers apart!  :D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: FreeSpace Occupation of Choice
I also like to have a lot of firepower and possiblity to carry torpedoes, while still retaining abillity to dogfight.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Heavy Assault. I could tell you why, but that would be spoilery.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
I like bombers, somehow... I feel safer when close to a very masive object while in space :nervous:
el hombre vicio...

Offline -Norbert-

I like the suicide kings way of life.
Mostly intercepting bombers and fighters with the occasional surgical anti-subsystem strike.

I guess that falles under recon/tactical, right?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I always seem to be chasing bombers down or taking out the beam cannons on cruisers, also i like fast nimble craft, assault and bombers just feel like I'm dragging along waiting to get ripped to pieces by something

edit:

I went intercept
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
Light bomber. Among many to come, I am sure, I really enjoy being a threat to anything- having the capability to fend off fighters AND kill a proper capital ship with some determination and grit is killer.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
heavy bomber.  i feel insanely powerful ripping apart destroyers by unloading 3 banks of bombs at it.  second choice would be space superiority, the all-powerful badass, or "superjuggernaught in a figher" as i saw it put somewhere else.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Enkidu

Space Superiority for me, the Myrmidon is definitely my favorite fighter in the game. If given a choice I'd also go with an SOC operative just because I really enjoy suicide missions (as long as they're just in a game that is  ;) )

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Heavy Assault - cause I rather choose not to dodge but I just sometimes might want to  ;)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Space Superiority for me, the Myrmidon is definitely my favorite fighter in the game. If given a choice I'd also go with an SOC operative just because I really enjoy suicide missions (as long as they're just in a game that is  ;) )
I approve. :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Heavy bomber for me. I like taking down the big targets more then a dozend of fighters
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Space superiority, no doubt.  That way, I don't get closer than I need to to the giant slashing beams of death. :nervous:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Other:

Having been through a few real life warzones myself i'm happy to relegate myself to that quaint little recruitment office on gammal draconis 4  just enticing teens in with sweets them shipping them off to boot for a world of pain. I've done my part and have four scars plus surgery to prove it.

Let generation x do their part.

Bitterness. . . . . . Absolute bitterness.

That or EOD. Which is my trade.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

End of Days? ;P
If it wasn't obvious before, space superiority, because I am teh multi-role, though I hate bombing which means staying on the SS side of Heavy Assault lets me take things that do everything (hi eri).
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Heavy assault/light bomber.

I fell in love with the Herc I since the very second I fired in Tenderizer. I like the Hercs, the Ares, the Athena and the Zeus (yes, especially the Zeus).
But I don't like the Artemis, because of it's firing points and low weapon energy.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
Space Superiority...

Nothing better than being maneuverable and owning everyone that warps in.

Heavy assault.  Even in space superiority, I often use a Myrmidon (which is somewhat sluggish).

Nothing like blowing away fat targets =)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I honestly like heavy bombing and heavy assault a great deal too, but nothing gets my adrenaline pumping nearly so much as a good interception mission.  Something like BP's (in)famous "Forced Entry" is pretty much the epitome of fast-paced insanity.  Sit still for a few seconds, and you'll find yourself looking at a failed mission.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It's a tough choice between space superiority and interception roles.

I dislike being in bombers, I feel like I'm suffocated by their lack of movement both in linear and angular dimensions. It's the same in IL-2, I really dislike being a bus driver.

Assault missions are okay too, but in the end I'd say I prefer interception role over others. A lot of it depends on mission design, though. If I have good space superiority support, then intercepting is very fun. If there are hordes of bomber wings jumping in at different sides of battlefield simultaneously while I have a wing of Dragons up my tailpipe, it's not so enjoyable as you just know this is going to go horribly wrong in a very short time.

Space superiority missions are fun when all you need to do is clear the space of fighters and keep it clear for interceptors or bombers to do their work. If you end up having to do interception in space superiority fighter, it absolutely blows because you lack the response time that speedy little interceptors give you (this is why Perseus is worse interceptor than Valkyrie, but better overall ship as it can do both space superiority and interception decently enough for most situations).

Paradoxally the Herc 2 is actually a fairly nice intercept platform but mainly because of it's ability to mount more Trebuchet missiles than a Perseus.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.