Author Topic: "Testing, Testing, One, Two ..." (new sound code)  (Read 66927 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: "Testing, Testing, One, Two ..." (new sound code)
Also, I've noticed that pretty much all SFX that originates from your own ship is much weaker in volume than with RC1 compared to external SFX; afterburner sounds, engine sounds, energy management sounds, targetting/aspect lock sounds... and of the external SFX, especially explosions seem really really out of bounds loud almost regardless of the distance.
This has been mentioned before, but I can't reproduce it.  All of those sounds are just as loud as they used to be in my tests.

Another thing is that communications seems very low in volume as well, but I can't tell if this is some kind of 3D effect based on the position and distance of the transmitting ship - although if it is, I really think it shouldn't exist as the speakers/helmet headset move along with the player's ship, and so the volume of messages should be constant.
Messages are 2D sounds, so there should be no sort of 3D effect going on there.

I probably should test how it sounds with registry settings prioritizing General Software, but I'd like to know why a registry setting is used to change this instead of an INI file? Or is this just an intermediate solution?
Registry, INI file, same thing.  It's just where the game settings go.  It will eventually be moved out of the registry on Windows to an ini file just like on the other platforms though.

Also, should there even be any change at all between General Hardware and General Software with the new audio code?
So long as the device can support the number of sources that the game wants then it will use it.  That is the only difference between how the game deals with different sound devices.  How your system handles it is a completely different thing though.  It really just depends on your drivers as to how all of that works.

Another thing, is there an upper limit to the sample rate? I realize that practically none of the files themselves used in FS2_Open have higher sample rate than 44.1 kHz, but setting that higher should still improve the volumetric sound calculations and other processing accuracy, and my sound card supports 192 kHz output to all 7.1 speakers... :nervous:
The game has nothing to do with the sample rate other than to ask the sound device to initialize at a particular value.  What works, or doesn't, depends entirely on what your hardware and drivers allow.  However, the higher the sample rate the more CPU is required to do sound, so it is possible to overpower your system if you try and push it too much, particularly if you also enable EFX.  If you raise the sample rate and then notice a huge hit to FPS, you'll know that you have to use a lower some. :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Not really planning a new build right now, just wanting to post an updated diff with the fixes since the previous build...

• Add -no_3d_sound cmdline option to force use of old playback method for 3D sound.
    This will only use panning and not full 3D spatialization.  Basically just the way that the OpenAL code worked before.

• Fix replay bug with streaming audio that was supposed to be paused.
    A screw up in the code caused the last couple of seconds of audio to replay in paused streams.  This might be the cause of the ALT-TAB issues in the new code.  This bug is specific to the new code however, so if the ALT-TAB problem is really fixed now then it was originally caused by a bug that I had already fixed and this new bug simply hid that fact.

• Send a warning message to the debug log when playing multi channel audio in 3D.
    Only mono audio sources can be played with 3D spatialization so this will help debug problem sound encoding.  In order for a sound to play in 3D the audio file will have to be converted to mono.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Sounds.tbl has two options for 3D audio, stereo and Aureal. With this new sound code, is there any difference between the two at all? If there is, what difference exactly as I've had multiple people test differences and they didn't notice any.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Sounds.tbl has two options for 3D audio, stereo and Aureal. With this new sound code, is there any difference between the two at all? If there is, what difference exactly as I've had multiple people test differences and they didn't notice any.
There is no difference.  Even if A3D was still there it really wouldn't offer any benefit with the capabilities of current sound cards and drivers.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
As soon as Icculus becomes available again, I'll put this into Antipodes.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Or rather, once it get's up AND I have a spare minute to breathe. :-(

Some slight whitespace (space vs tabs) changes were made by me when converting it from .diff to .patch, but it is otherwise unchanged and in Antipodes now.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The build crashes launcher 5.5f for me
no log written, no assertion or anything given. We checked cmdlines on IRC (I got an ARGS assertion earlier but after removing -res that disappeared) so I don't think that's causing it.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Rename \launcher6.ini to launcher6.ini-old and \data\cmdline_fso.cfg to cmdline_fso.cfg-old. Then check your FS2 directory if you see a small file that has no file extension, I've forgotten what name it has. Either way, if you find a file without extension, open it in notepad. The file quite likely contains command line options for the launcher, if so delete the file. Then try launcher again.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
There was no small file without extension to be found
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The launcher might occasionally create such a file temporarily, but if it becomes permanent, it should be deleted as it seems to override cmdline_fso.cfg or cause other weirdness. It's okay if you don't have it.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
We haven't had any new audio builds for long time, they're lacking far behind RC2 and trunk. :(

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Please put this into 3.6.12 Final.  I beg of you.  This is pure epic win, and I was truly shaken by how FS sounded when I played that.  So much variation...
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I'll be synchronizing Antipodes (hopefully) sometime before this weekend.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Please put this into 3.6.12 Final.  I beg of you.  This is pure epic win, and I was truly shaken by how FS sounded when I played that.  So much variation...
Taylor's still finalizing the code.  It will be done anywhere from a few days to a month from now.  It depends on how long people want to wait.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Can we get full .patch containing the latest audio code so that those we are able to compile builds, can apply the patch to RC2 or trunk builds?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
This is basically why I don't want to wait on it for 3.6.12.  It's not done, and there's no real idea of a deadline for it.  We have several patches sitting around ready to go into 3.6.12 final, if the audio code makes it in that would at least warrant an RC3.  If we get 3.6.12 final out with the last few existing patches we can get the audio code in shortly, making sure it's clean and get 3.6.14 out, hopefully with some project file and libraries cleanups too.  Then we can hopefully get the pilot code going.  But  I just want to get 3.6.12 out.  I know the audio code is nice, but since it's not done I really don't want to let the 3.6.12 branch become useless.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Would the audio itself (along with any other patches / cleanups that make it in time for the audio completion) warrant a 3.6.14?  If so, I don't see why not finalize 3.6.12 then release 3.6.14 with the audio update.  If not, then I can see why holding up 3.6.12 might be desirable - you don't want to wait 6+ months for an audio update that's been done for 5 of those months. xP  (Talking about people that don't use trunk / RC builds)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think it would warrant another version, especially combined with libs cleanup and getting VS2010 to work.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Agreed.

In the end, we are supposed to get off the 3.6.xx track and move on to 3.7; Even if the new Pilot code is not ready by then, I believe we can get the new sound code tested for that one.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah I don't care as much what we call it, I just want to get _this one_ out the door and start working on the _next one_.