Author Topic: Wings of Dawn, a campaign in the making.  (Read 43919 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Wings of Dawn, a campaign in the making.

A bit of background of how it came to be
Back at the beginning of 2009 when my education in game design was showing no signs of improving (No really, it was a messy bunch and a waste of time) I started looking for something else to do and found my answer on HLP when I started exploring the forum through the search function (which was not the crappy google search we have now :P) looking on the possibilities of Freespace 2 modding. When it became clear somewhere in April that I would quit my study I threw all my time and devotion into learning about getting models from max into fs2, normal maps, uv unwrap, tables, FRED, effects and making head ani's. I came up with grand ideas and a campaign setting that I had to cut down dramatically when I started to realized just how limited a one man team is
I desperately wanted to avoid looking like newbie #145124 with 'epic campaign idea #13' that would never get off the ground so I decided to stay off the radar until I actually had something to show. However I recently also started to realize that just releasing a campaign out of the blue will run the risk of being overlooked when nobody heard of it before. So in a effort to generate some interest in the project I created this thread.

So what is Wings of Dawn?
As much as I love Freespace, its story and its ships, I really wanted to use the freespace engine to create my own universe. Freespace has a lot of conversions and mods of different universes but very few that are not based on an already existing IP. So I threw my love for anime and sci fi together and let myself be inspired by games like Starcontrol 2. Unfortunately this created something that I have a hard time summarizing into a synopsis.
Let's just say that WoD will feature a dynamic, polished and diverse campaign with (hopefully) memorable characters, a (again hopefully :P ) interesting story and a light hearted setting. Around 30 missions (of which 15 are done and being tested by my awesome testplayers) and ~15 unique (low poly) ships (and a bunch of variations on those ships). Utilizing a lot of the latest features added to the freespace engine by the SCP team.

A few screenies

I should still get to work on a new better trailer but right now this is the only video material I have ready on the web
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKbXswXUpI needless to say, this is old material, but still relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS2JlnZz-sk Opening video

At the current rate of progress it will probably still take me a month or three to get the last bunch of missions+assets done so if this somehow managed to get your interest, don't hold your breath :P

[Disclaimer: Yes: I am aware that my ships are low poly and could do with better textures. Yes: I am aware I'm only mediocre in drawing at best. Low poly models is a design choice, I just can't spend 3 months on one model to bring it up to superduperHTLHLP standards if I actually want to release something in my life time. And I don't want to take the easy way out by using a mod pack for this campaign. I have no real excuse for the textures, I just suck at it. I only ask for your understanding that this is a one man project and that I don't have a team of highly skilled monkeys at my disposal like for example the blue planet team]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:59:00 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Wings of Dawn, a campaign in the making.
Ook!

[translation: Blue Planet team furiously resents being called monkeys and would like to remind that apes are vastly more advanced than monkeys.]

Ook.

[translation: It should also be noted that good gameplay is in the core of all mods, not just looks.]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:06:03 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Of course there was no offense intended!
Can I offer you this banana as a peace offer?

:P
Urutorahappī!!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Do I smell the harem campaign idea that got kicked around, or is that just the anime-esque drawing.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I was working on this way before the harem idea popped up  :p
Urutorahappī!!

I saw that trailer, and I have one thing to say.  You call that anime-inspired?  Needs way more missiles dude.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Showing the Video and looks nice.
You must not have the latest high poly superdupermega Graphics.
I like your Style and remember Game Fun is more important as High polished graphics.

May be the force with you  :D

Greetings Peter

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Does -cell sill work? This is just the kind of thing it was meant for.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Nope. Got removed from the engine ages ago.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I for one would love to have MVCell back, though. There's always the future...  ;)

By the way (and more importantly), great work, Spoon!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
cell

A compound word:

post-processing

That is all.

It should be fairly straightforward to construct a post-processing shader that does something like that.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I saw that trailer, and I have one thing to say.  You call that anime-inspired?  Needs way more missiles dude.
Yeah you are right, I shall make ever missile fire in swarms of 20 from now on  :p

By the way (and more importantly), great work, Spoon!
Thanks  :D

And yes, I for one would be very interested in cellshading in FS2 one way or an other  :nod:
Urutorahappī!!

Yeah you are right, I shall make ever missile fire in swarms of 20 from now on  :p
Excellent. :D
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:50:34 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In this case, it might help a lot. Given the low-poly nature of the ships, making them cell-shaded might give this a much-needed bit of graphical awesome.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:50:55 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

You have a great game in the making. You may have to reintroduce cell; or be nicer to the "monkeys" and steal a few from them.
I have the 3.6.10 MediaVPs + PATCH installed, but placed a 3.6.8 cell ( without removing the other vps) to see what would happen. The new games won't work but older releases did. Cell shading looks cool. How ever I also like the realistic look. But as you said Its a new game and maybe you should go in your own direction and make a cell shaded universe. well that's my two cents anyway. Keep doing the good work on you game. Low poly, High poly or cell shaded - I look forward to playing it.

For a mod that is obviously inspired by anime, I think cell-shading would work great for it, especially as it would help hide the fact the models and textures are low-quality.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
For a mod that is obviously inspired by anime, I think cell-shading would work great for it, especially as it would help hide the fact the models and textures are low-quality.
Don't say low quality, I made these assets with love.

You have a great game in the making. You may have to reintroduce cell; or be nicer to the "monkeys" and steal a few from them.
I have the 3.6.10 MediaVPs + PATCH installed, but placed a 3.6.8 cell ( without removing the other vps) to see what would happen. The new games won't work but older releases did. Cell shading looks cool. How ever I also like the realistic look. But as you said Its a new game and maybe you should go in your own direction and make a cell shaded universe. well that's my two cents anyway. Keep doing the good work on you game. Low poly, High poly or cell shaded - I look forward to playing it.
Thanks  :)
I have zero coding skill so if cellshading is to be implented it will have to be done by some kind SCP member and WoD will be a .12 release so there is no chance it will work with the .8 cell vp.

I guess so, as long as the explosions aren't cartoon-ified like in Wind Waker.

I am fond of that cute hud anis. You might feel bad for blowing them up or them getting destroyed by the enemy, since she appears to be a friendly and innocent character :P

The anime looks very cute as well as that anime hud anis. :) It warms the heart. I never seen that in FS before.
good to hear :)
and don't worry, you won't have to blow them up  :p

In this case, it might help a lot. Given the low-poly nature of the ships, making them cell-shaded might give this a much-needed bit of graphical awesome.
I've been putting a lot of work into effects.
And I personally don't think the ships look That awful with normal mapping on. Just 'simple'
In the very least there will be unique alien designs that you will be able to recognize on the fly
Urutorahappī!!

I'll eagerly await this  :nod: