Author Topic: New Features for POF Version 3000 [FS2 = Version 2117]  (Read 28548 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Thorn

  • Drunk on the east coast.
  • 210
  • What is this? I don't even...
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
That would be more of an explosion .ani thing wouldnt it?

 

Offline an0n

  • Banned again
  • 211
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
GIF's for animated maps. No need for tedious converting.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
[email protected]!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

 

Offline Kamikaze

  • A Complacent Wind
  • 29
    • http://www.nodewar.com
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Quote
Originally posted by venom2506
mmh, only thing I'd really like, I think, are those animated parts (already discussed), but, mainly, ani as textures on ships. Now that I could have a great use of ;7
 


mmmm organic ships.... and strange subspace portals that you can crash into ;)
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

 

Offline CP5670

  • Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
  • 212
  • 142857
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
How about detail-mapping capabilities? This system is used by a few graphics engines (Unreal and Serious Sam) to make textures look very sharp and detailed close-up by applying a bump-map only when the player is really close to the texture. Very cool effect, and it would be great to see it in a space sim. ;)

 

Offline Kazan

  • PCS2 Wizard
  • 212
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
good call phreak


good ideas.. keep 'em coming
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

 

Offline Unknown Target

  • Get off my lawn!
  • Global Moderator
  • 212
  • Push.Pull?
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Oh, oh, I've got a good one!!!
How about 3D, volumetric explosions, rather than just the simple, 2D ones of FS2...
Also, T&L support, better nebulaes(if that's possible) and lens flares!

 

Offline Kazan

  • PCS2 Wizard
  • 212
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
ahhh... ok.. that's it - let's worry about getting programmers FIRST

btw Unknown - that's general ENGINE stuff... not MODEL stuff
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

 

Offline Unknown Target

  • Get off my lawn!
  • Global Moderator
  • 212
  • Push.Pull?
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Oops, yea, you're right, srry:doh:

 

Offline Setekh

  • Jar of Clay
  • 215
    • Hard Light Productions
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
I just had an idea with the engine wash zone. I'll raise it later.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

 

Offline Nico

  • Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
  • 212
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Oh, yes, I know:
ships and turrets being different pofs. basically, a capital ship pof has no turrets, just docking points for turrets. then you have multiple different turret pofs. In fred, you can attach the turret you want where you want on the ship. That may also allow the barreled turrets to be placed at an angle.
mmh, basically, allow the capships to have more than one working docking point at a time.
SCREW CANON!

 

Offline wEvil

  • The Other Good Renderer
  • 28
    • http://www.andymelville.net
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Its a radical idea -

but some kind of vertex-animation tool? Bone based or straight frame-by-frame manipulation.

I.E
Some way of making the sathanas beam pods move in close together like they did in the last FS2 cutscene?  


3D volume explosions would require a fairly exclusive number of graphics cards (ones that support volume rendering, unfortunately, i dont think GEforces do.  You're talking wildcats and Oxygen and FireGL cards there!)

Plus they'd slow everything up...if you're going to do that, you might as well make the explosion effect out of textured polies.


Hey Kazan, what about support for some basic procedurals and Pixel/Vertex shaders?  I know thats engine stuff as well but is it on the cards?

 

Offline Nico

  • Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
  • 212
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Quote
Originally posted by wEvil
Its a radical idea -

but some kind of vertex-animation tool? Bone based or straight frame-by-frame manipulation.

I.E
Some way of making the sathanas beam pods move in close together like they did in the last FS2 cutscene?  


that may not be that hard to do? look at modelview, it can read this kind of data for the descent oof models.
SCREW CANON!

 

Offline Redfang

  • 28
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Quote
Originally posted by CP5670
How about detail-mapping capabilities? This system is used by a few graphics engines (Unreal and Serious Sam) to make textures look very sharp and detailed close-up by applying a bump-map only when the player is really close to the texture. Very cool effect, and it would be great to see it in a space sim. ;)

 
Yes, that would be good. :nod:

 

Offline aldo_14

  • Gunnery Control
  • 213
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Dependign how tight your model - codeintegration is, you could use the file format to recognise trigger events that cause animations.

(on the fly pseudo)
Like
Code: [Select]

   when (anyShipArrives() && anyShipArrivesParent()==this)
                anim_1.start(60)
                runway.flash_light(true,5,60)




i.e. when a ship arrives, do the following stuff
                  open doors (1) for 60 secs
                  flash lights on for 60 secs at 5 sec intervals

If you can set sub-objects as seprate child classes, you have a lot more potential to give them unique operations, or type - specific stuff. (better abstraction).

Of copurse, it's not really like pof format, so you'd maybe have to initialise models through a wrapper class, that defines type, stats, child subobjects and their animations, effects - taking some of that data from the relevant tbl.

If you store animations as keyframes, you could use parameters to  delay,  and then reverse the animation.


EDIT;
Actually, i just realised how self evident & vague most of that was.  :doh:
but I'd definately suggest allowing percentage animation - i.e. rotating 50 degrees.

 

Offline wEvil

  • The Other Good Renderer
  • 28
    • http://www.andymelville.net
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Quote
Originally posted by aldo_14
Dependign how tight your model - codeintegration is, you could use the file format to recognise trigger events that cause animations.

(on the fly pseudo)
Like
Code: [Select]

   when (anyShipArrives() && anyShipArrivesParent()==this)
                anim_1.start(60)
                runway.flash_light(true,5,60)




i.e. when a ship arrives, do the following stuff
                  open doors (1) for 60 secs
                  flash lights on for 60 secs at 5 sec intervals

If you can set sub-objects as seprate child classes, you have a lot more potential to give them unique operations, or type - specific stuff. (better abstraction).

Of copurse, it's not really like pof format, so you'd maybe have to initialise models through a wrapper class, that defines type, stats, child subobjects and their animations, effects - taking some of that data from the relevant tbl.

If you store animations as keyframes, you could use parameters to  delay,  and then reverse the animation.


EDIT;
Actually, i just realised how self evident & vague most of that was.  :doh:
but I'd definately suggest allowing percentage animation - i.e. rotating 50 degrees. [/B]


Im not really sure I understand, but for that kind of flexibility i dont think wrapper classes would do it without the whole thing getting waay messy.

 

Offline Kazan

  • PCS2 Wizard
  • 212
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Aldo that's what the Movers (MVRS) block does.. it stores those scripts
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

 

Offline PSYCHO

  • 26
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
WOW cool Kazan..... keep it up:nod:

 

Offline aldo_14

  • Gunnery Control
  • 213
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
Quote
Originally posted by wEvil


Im not really sure I understand, but for that kind of flexibility i dont think wrapper classes would do it without the whole thing getting waay messy.


I've been coding a grpah since 10am this morning.... I'm at the satge where I forget what i first wrote by the time i finish the post :D

I tthink I meant that the model recognises when a certain event occurs, and performs the appropriate operation.  so, what Kazan already said, then :doh:

 

Offline Grey Wolf

New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
The thing I like most of this is the animated textures and the move on scripting things...
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

 

Offline Unknown Target

  • Get off my lawn!
  • Global Moderator
  • 212
  • Push.Pull?
New Features for POF Version 3000 (for FSF) [FS2 = Version 2117]
How about some real engine flame? I mean, rather than just the simple block engine flame of the first two, how about some dynamic flame, that sputters, and ignites?
It would look infinetely better:D
Not sure if that's pof or engine stuff, though......