FS1 or FS2

FS1
17 (21.5%)
FS2
31 (39.2%)
Debates like these are stupid
31 (39.2%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: FS1? Or FS2?  (Read 9428 times)

Offline Kie99

Freespace was a great game, but Freespace 2 is better in every respect.  The story has greater depth and is less cliched, it has better features such as beams that don't look like ****, better characters (The most memorable character from FS1 is Admiral Wolf, he loved the Galatea and he died on it, that's all I know about him, Bosch is a far better character), better standards of cutscenes (although Hallfight is better than anything), better weapons and better effects.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I hope by 'better standards for cutscenes' you mean the writing... because they look awful compared to FreeSpace 1's custscenes.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Actually, FS1 had better cutscenes. In FS2, the only human model you see in the cutscenes is Bosch, and only then you see him from the back. Furthermore, every ship model and effect you see in the cutscene is used in-game (with Endgame Part 1's Sathanas being slightly modified). In contrast, FS1 had human models with lipsync, fully modeled interiors, a badass shootout, and an epic ending cutscene.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
FS2 also had lower resolution textures on a lot of ships. :nervous:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
FS1 also had the height of lazy cutscene-making in the form of those highly elaborate Ancient Monologues.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Snail

• SC 5
FS1 also had the height of lazy cutscene-making in the form of those highly elaborate Ancient Monologues.
Actually that might explain why the relative quality of the other cutscenes in FS1 were better than FS2's.

Offline Kie99

I hope by 'better standards for cutscenes' you mean the writing... because they look awful compared to FreeSpace 1's custscenes.

Yes, I mean the writing.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

Even taking that into account, FS1.

I think because the first one keeps it ultimately general and to the point. It gets too specific in the second one, you get your characters, Bosch, Petrarch and so forth. First one keeps it gray and transparent for the most part. It's all about the big picture. Not that the second one isn't either, but I just feel it gets bogged down in some places, while I still remain the generic transparent puppet Alpha 1.

That's just me anyway.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

FS 2 by far had superior gameplay, features, and models. But as far as story goes, I have to admit FS 1 is the winner.

Was it cliche'd? Absolutely. Was the ending spectacular enough to make up for it? Hell yes it was. Also, command in FS1 wasn't completely stupid. All in all I think FS 2 might actually warrant an FS2:R. Potential greatness in plot, but sub par storyline execution.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
FS 1.

FS 2 by far had superior gameplay, features, and models. But as far as story goes, I have to admit FS 1 is the winner.

Was it cliche'd? Absolutely. Was the ending spectacular enough to make up for it? Hell yes it was. Also, command in FS1 wasn't completely stupid. All in all I think FS 2 might actually warrant an FS2:R. Potential greatness in plot, but sub par storyline execution.

Funny that's exactly what I think about FS1.

Also this whole 'command is stupid' meme really should have died around the time Windmills came out.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Also this whole 'command is stupid' meme really should have died around the time Windmills came out.

No, I'm pretty sure Windmills did nothing to actually prove/disprove that notion. It takes a wider view then you can offer in the context of an FS mission to demonstrate conclusively.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I agree. I don't think anyone did any better job handling the situation than real players did in Windmills.

No, I'm pretty sure Windmills did nothing to actually prove/disprove that notion. It takes a wider view then you can offer in the context of an FS mission to demonstrate conclusively.
I don't understand. You're saying only one mission is happening at any given time?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:55:09 am by Snail »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't understand. You're saying only one mission is happening at any given time?

I'm saying a single mission doesn't encompass a large enough area to truly convey what it means to operate on a system-wide scale. Even a big game of Homeworld or Homeworld 2 probably can't.

If you want to understand system-wide operations, I recommend studying some of Japan's early-WW2 operations. Multiply scale and value of individual combatants by a few orders of magnitude and you've got a decent concept of the scale at which FS operates. Just the difficulties that attended organizing Operation MI/AF should dispel anyone's opinion that Command isn't at least doing a decent job.

(Not that I don't still think Command could have been better at their job; merely decent isn't the objective.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:26:06 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'm saying a single mission doesn't encompass a large enough area to truly convey what it means to operate on a system-wide scale. Even a big game of Homeworld or Homeworld 2 probably can't.

If you want to understand system-wide operations, I recommend studying some of Japan's early-WW2 operations. Multiply scale and value of individual combatants by a few orders of magnitude and you've got a decent concept of the scale at which FS operates. Just the difficulties that attended organizing Operation MI/AF should dispel anyone's opinion that Command isn't at least doing a decent job.

(Not that I don't still think Command could have been better at their job; merely decent isn't the objective.)
So you're saying that while Windmills didn't do anything to help the matter, everyone should stop it with the "Command is stupid dhur hurr hurr" references?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
So you're saying that while Windmills didn't do anything to help the matter, everyone should stop it with the "Command is stupid dhur hurr hurr" references?

Pretty much.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:35:25 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What did the above post originally say? D:

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Oh, he hadn't used the quote tags properly, meaning there was nothing in the quote box.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It originally demonstrated me screwing up deleting my own quote and breaking the quote tags.

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh, I thought it was a message that would have traumatized me for life or something.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Yeah but I think Windmills illustrated the choices Command has to make in an analogous sense.