Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 916115 times)

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Aside from that: The campaign was great fun! Act 1 and 2 were the most fun I've had in a campaign since playing Operation: Saviour (the restored edition, haven't played the original). The missions were well crafted, and it is good to see a very heavily story driven campaign that does not punch above it's weight and strikes a good balance between story and gameplay.
What I disliked is the lack of player agency - the missions were written with a set outcome in mind, and averting this set outcome is often impossible (with the exception of act 1's final mission). This becomes rather obvious in some places
Spoiler:
such as the mission where you first try to annihilate the GTD carthage
which is a shame, although the story demands it, I would prefer if things in the campaign that are blocked from happening (Such as disarming certain warships) would instead be made impossible trough means other then immunisation.

On to Act 3. The dreamscape dialogues took a bit of getting used to. Very interesting, but I feel the travelling around between ships and such felt rather... strange, and... uncanny. Hard to put my finger on, but I'd rather would have seen the dialogues be retrieved trough the fiction viewer or some other means. I heard something about FS2 having FPS capabilities nowadays?
It's not that it is bad, or anything, just... average-ish.

This stands in stark contrast with the missions, which were extremely good. I played the campaign on hard, and I found the missions to be very challenging in more ways then just dogfighting, which is a plus. The final assault on the GT Spoiler as well as the assault on the Geae base were fun missions were one has to keep one's head cool under fire, which is always a plus. If these sort missions would be conducted whilst in a normal fighter, that would double the fun for me :D.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
On to Act 3. The dreamscape dialogues took a bit of getting used to. Very interesting, but I feel the travelling around between ships and such felt rather... strange, and... uncanny. Hard to put my finger on, but I'd rather would have seen the dialogues be retrieved trough the fiction viewer or some other means. I heard something about FS2 having FPS capabilities nowadays?
It's not that it is bad, or anything, just... average-ish.

FS2 does not have FPS capabilities, and is unlikely to ever have them. The problem with using the fiction viewer is that it would be a long text dump in a mod already laden with long text dumps; We chose to use the dreamscape to allow at least a bit of interactivity. There's also an issue with the fiction viewer currently not being able to display dynamically changing text in the way the debriefing screens can; Tailoring the texts to the user's actions would be rather cumbersome.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hellzed

Achieving something like TRAUMA gameplay in FS2 would be great !

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We generally disregard requests to make things more perfect because our goal is 'do interesting things' instead of 'attempt and fail to do perfect things'. Our philosophy is implementation and iteration, not aspiration and then project failure. So, for instance, when our request to get conditional stage support in the fiction viewer never came through, we worked around the feature. When people ask for the ability to walk around the Masyaf and talk to people, well...

Don't say it wouldn't be interesting :P.

I think I would have liked the dreamscape a lot more if the ships were placed closer together or if I was travelling in a faster ship, though. It's mainly the travelling in between actors which made it ... less-then-perfect for me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's useful feedback that we can consider. The dreamscape is getting a big iteration pass for the Director's Cut which may include some slight changes to movement mechanics.

I found a small inconsistency in Mission 7: My Brother, My enemy. Navaja Beta 1's head changes during the mission.

$Name: ds4 - reinforcements!
$Team: -1
$MessageNew:  XSTR("Beta wing is in! Hang on a little longer, Laporte! Pick your targets, open racks, and engage!", -1)
$end_multi_text
+AVI Name: Head-TP1
+Wave Name: emptymsg.ogg

$Name: ds5 - Beta - we won
$Team: -1
$MessageNew:  XSTR("All right! Not an awful sendoff for the Navajas...we showed them, didn't we? Shot down their very best!", -1)
$end_multi_text
+AVI Name: Head-TP5
+Wave Name: emptymsg.ogg

Offline Aquila

I'm not great with forums, and usually don't participate much in them. Additionally to this, I felt what I have to say now doesn't quite justify the opening of a new thread. But to those who had the original idea to blue planet, to those who worked their ass of to accomplish its success, to those who made it what it is now and especially to the mind that thought putting Ubuntu in there was a good idea:
Thank you.
I've wrote my (admittedly crude) research paper on Ubuntu, and whether or not it'd be applicable to today's society. And though I probably screwed up at one point or another and went to blue-eyed into it, it turned out to be a win for me.
Thanks to Blue Planet (re-)introducing me to the idea of Ubuntu, I could pave my way to the upcoming exams and a huge step further to graduation. I never even would've thought about it, wouldn't have known about its concept (which I personally find pretty interesting) and probably would've wrote about something entirely else and would've ****ed it up (again *cough*). So just... thank you.

And also thanks for the probably best campaign I've ever played ;)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Cool! Are you dealing with Ubuntu-as-BP-philosophy, or the real Ubuntu from Africa? (They are not unrelated, but.)

Offline Aquila

'twas the real one from africa (as much as I understood it, anyway). But the one from BP brought me there. Would've never gotten there from Linux *shifty eyes*

Spoiler:
It seems weird that the UEF would have acces to a shivan but the GTVA did not, whilst the top class shivan research happened at the GTVI. Both the NTF and the GTVA would have more acces to shivan specimens to utilize, I would think.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The GTA's primary scientific infrastructure was (canonically, as per FS1) in Sol, and this is where they shipped their vital tasks.

Moreover, you're assuming the GTVA didn't have any access to Shivan specimens, which is not necessarily supportable by the available information.

Offline qwadtep

Spoiler:
It seems weird that the UEF would have acces to a shivan but the GTVA did not, whilst the top class shivan research happened at the GTVI. Both the NTF and the GTVA would have more acces to shivan specimens to utilize, I would think.
Spoiler:
I'm sure they do--you don't have a need-to-know what happened the captured Mara's previous pilots--but the Great War-era specimens were probably lost in the GTI rebellion and the research was subsequently sealed by the GTA. That was the entire point of the NTF rebellion; Bosch reopened the research on the sly, crafted ETAK, raided Ancient sites to find a way to find some new Shivans and became Ken.

The UEF never had any such roadblocks, while having a conveniently braindead Shivan, a wealth of resources and manpower and infrastructure to study it, guidance from an alien intelligence, and a state-supported GTI-analogue specifically for this kind of unethical research. The result is CASSANDRA.

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Was Kovacs an intentional reference to Watchmen?
And now that I know Battuta has apparently read BattleTech novels, is Falconer another one of those?

Shots in the dark but both of those thoughts made me grin. In my mind's eye (ear?) I read Kovacs in the voice of pre-breakdown Rorschach.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:59:59 pm by Leeko »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The character names are references, yes, but not to those works. They're taken from Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I believe you can get the full names of most of another Fedayeen wing if you pay close attention too.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
The character names are references, yes, but not to those works. They're taken from Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels.

GOD DAMMIT I knew the name Kovacs rang a bell but... uhhhhh :D
lol wtf

Offline Veers

Post Meridian briefing.

Slide 2. Refers to Severanti as 'Her'
Slide 6. Refers to Severanti as 'Him'

I've never noticed that before, despite reading it a million times before. Just went and clicked in my head then. :)
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
'Her' refers to the Meridian.

Offline Mikes

I hate Blue Planet ...

... every time I play another release I am absolutely blown away by the writing quality and the gameplay both ...  then it's over too soon and all other games or mods suddenly seem lackluster.

Anyone with similar problems know a remedy ? :P

(Finally got around to finishing Act 3 after getting a new flightstick ... and wow, well done. Well done. That mission with the Carthage .... damn ;) )