Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 188922 times)

Offline Qent

Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
-He is only a 1st Lt. because when he was in the UEF military, he was caught combining Fed and Tev tech to get something awsome and one of his CO's, a devout Ubuntu practicer, said that what he was doing was like selling his soul to the shivans, so the 'new guy' chewed him the hell out and when AWOL and joined the Fayadeen long before he was ever publicly demoted. That doesn't matter anymore, cause' hes Fayadeen now. unless it does?  :nervous:
I guess if he had a good way of joining, it would work. But I don't think it is believeable actually. Where in Ubuntu does it say "don't use technology of the enemy, or you will become the enemy!"?
Spoiler:
Also remember that you actually get to fly Tev ships in WiH.

Offline -Sara-

Took another look over the UEF stealth fighter, the only ship I still got to get used to with it being the fictional F-19 fighter as made by Revell kit-models I think.

Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

-He is only a 1st Lt. because when he was in the UEF military, he was caught combining Fed and Tev tech to get something awsome and one of his CO's, a devout Ubuntu practicer, said that what he was doing was like selling his soul to the shivans, so the 'new guy' chewed him the hell out and when AWOL and joined the Fayadeen long before he was ever publicly demoted. That doesn't matter anymore, cause' hes Fayadeen now. unless it does?  :nervous:
I guess if he had a good way of joining, it would work. But I don't think it is believeable actually. Where in Ubuntu does it say "don't use technology of the enemy, or you will become the enemy!"?
Spoiler:

Um... where?

There is an Atalanta, a Nyx, and a Draco in the ship selection screen in Aristeia, but they are not selectable, you are locked into using the Kentauroi. At least that's the case when I played it, both in campaign, and from the tech room.

Offline Qent

Spoiler:

Um... where?

There is an Atalanta, a Nyx, and a Draco in the ship selection screen in Aristeia, but they are not selectable, you are locked into using the Kentauroi. At least that's the case when I played it, both in campaign, and from the tech room.
That's odd, because I did try them out. :confused:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just remember that you're not in the Alpha 1 slot in that mission.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Spoiler:

Um... where?

Unless some horrible bug popped up, they're definitely selectable; drag them over to the Alpha 2 slot.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Really? Scientific, market-driven people who somehow hate to use and copy others' technology and engineering innovations? I doubt it. I think some people overstate the Elders' spirituality, the reason why Ubuntu Party rose to power is because of economic and infrastructure achievements - something that needs engineering and science. And that goes double for Mars and Jupiter, where spirituality isn't enough to tide them into the Federation. Intra-system jumpgates, for example, reduce the cost of trade by not requiring every ship to have jump drives (although it's probably not an useful innovation to the GTVA, their development is spread out over different systems, though down the road it could be useful as worlds develop).  

Story-wise, I don't really see why an engineering cool-guy will improve the story, there are plenty of Martian not-very-Ubuntu people in the story and maybe we'll see some Jovian characters down the line. But people think it's cool, whatever.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:37:27 am by Ypoknons »
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline -Norbert-

And with the Fedayeen the story will surely get a good influx of new, non-standard characters. Surely you don't become a Fedayeen member by being just an average guy/gal right?

And I too don't think combining UEF and GTVA tech is going to see anyone punished. Relocated into Research and Development maybe (almost assuredly in form of an invitation you can decline without repercussions), but certainly not demoted.
As mentioned before you can fly Tev fighters in one mission and even when you fly the Kentauri, you still get a GTVA communications device installed into your fighter, because your's was shot to hell
Spoiler:
which allows you to cut through the Tev jamming and call in support from the Eris to take down that GTVA corvette.

Communication with other Nagari users.... did you recently watch Gundam 00 by any chance? Because that sounds a lot like how the quantum-brainwave users are portraied in that series.

Offline Infamus

You guys need to add a major character who has a dark sense of humor, yet can still kick ass on the battle field. No more of this 'all of the jokers die' sort of thing please.' It is probably one of the most Hollywood-like features on BP, and I am sure that not one person on HLP is a Hollywood person. oh and I have a persona for this new guy I would like to see on BP too.

Hm, while I love dark humor, I just don't think suddenly introducing sort of a Duke Nukem-badass character would work too well, especially after the last one who tried to fit that role turned out to hide his weakness behind such a mask. I actually think that we have some sort of "war isn't always grief and bitterness" feel with the leisure activities on the Indus. I don't say it's inherently a bad idea, I just think it would clash so much with the established setting, it could potentially ruin the thing.

-Dislikes Ubuntu, greatly
Fair enough, I think many characters from Mars or Jupiter could be portrayed like that easily and believably.

-Can directly communicate to anyone using Nagari. (if you say that this is stupid then you suck, if you ask me why, then you are a reasonable person and I will explain myself)

Well, I don't say it IS stupid, but it certainly SOUNDS stupid, unless your explanation is truly awesome.

After constantly getting prodded by the shivans, the 'newguy' would lash back mentally, eventually he got the hang of it and learned to use it in a more subtle fashion. You have to run before you can walk. He new it was the shivans because his father suffered from the same thing, and his father was sure it was 'them.'

-Hates emos

Wait, the insufferable emo subculture survived for centuries? No wonder the Shivans go human-hunting...

And if you mean "clinically depressed people" or "people with borderline", then... No, just no. There's nothing badass about a character who thinks kicking the weak when they're down is awesome.

Yeah your right. Terrible idea.

-Had a job as a mechanical repairman before going military

OK, that's awesome.

-Knows just how cruel the universe can be, and how to pay it back in full.
Well, he is supposed to be a grim badass, so that's a given I think

-Knows that the Great Civil War is a bunch of shivan-orchestrated crap, to soften the Terran species' military.
Knows or suspects? Have there been spoilers I missed in my long absence?

Its a gut feeling

-His hero is 'Chesty' Puller
OK, why not. But I always thought it funny that in fiction in the future out of necessity they always choose heroes that we would know in our present time

-Likes Tev technology over Fed tech, but likes the ships and reactor quality of the Feds.
Hm, OK, I guess theres not much to argue with that. As an ex-mechanic I'd expect him to openly drool over some tech specs.

-After getting a hold of a basic Tev database he learns that the shivans had their guns set on 'stun' during the Great War.
Again, I guess I missed something, but that might actually have been in the material I already read (which is of course now weeks ago). The Feds don't/didn't know that yet?

Read the database entries for the shivan weapons.

Sure, there are a lot of good movies and shows out there, but I am talking about main-stream style. Film companies are too into it; it's just dumb. What BP needs is some humor, and quotes from famous military commanders.

The game-play is great, but the GTVA ships are under-powered, they need more speed and armor.

Hm, I have a hard time believing that the GTVA are underpowered. It has been some days now since I booted WiH up, but they didn't feel underpowered to me. Are you basing that on .tbl entries or what you thought playing the campaign?

oops.

And, actually, what you describe sounds a lot like mainstream 90s grim-and-gritty character to me. Not that anything's wrong with that on it's own, but I just can't see that fitting into WiH, unless it's pulled off really really good, with a voiceacting genius and a dialogue author who made a pact with the devil to increase his skill.

I can do that ;7  no seriously, I am exceptional at voicing and writing dialogue, just not the actual story, but someone already took care of that.

Behind the badassery, this person would be the gentle-giant type but not scared.

"We shall show mercy, but we shall not ask for it." -Winston Churchill.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I detect massive amounts of Mary Sue in that character.

Not to mention player bias.

-Dislikes Ubuntu, greatly

Reason?

-Can directly communicate to anyone using Nagari. (if you say that this is stupid then you suck, if you ask me why, then you are a reasonable person and I will explain myself)

Nagari doesn't work that way.

After constantly getting prodded by the shivans, the 'newguy' would lash back mentally, eventually he got the hang of it and learned to use it in a more subtle fashion. You have to run before you can walk. He new it was the shivans because his father suffered from the same thing, and his father was sure it was 'them.'

Nagari really doesn't work that way.

-Knows that the Great Civil War is a bunch of shivan-orchestrated crap, to soften the Terran species' military.

How does he know that? It's not like he has anything but his own suspicions to get that conclusion.

-Joined Fayadeen because they know how to kill stuff. And NO they did not find him, this guy found the Fayadeen. (is that how you spell it?)

If this guy found the Fedayeen, they still wouldn't let him in. Being a Fedayeen requires absolute belief in Ubuntu. Your guy doesn't qualify.

-After getting a hold of a basic Tev database he learns that the shivans had their guns set on 'stun' during the Great War.

No Tev database needed. The UEF is fully aware of this fact.

The game-play is great, but the GTVA ships are under-powered, they need more speed and armor.

GTVA ships are built to be lightning bruisers. Jump in, beam the target to pieces, jump out before the bombs get you. See also: Serkr Team.

-He is only a 1st Lt. because when he was in the UEF military, he was caught combining Fed and Tev tech to get something awsome and one of his CO's, a devout Ubuntu practicer, said that what he was doing was like selling his soul to the shivans, so the 'new guy' chewed him the hell out and when AWOL and joined the Fayadeen long before he was ever publicly demoted. That doesn't matter anymore, cause' hes Fayadeen now. unless it does? 

You have a few misconceptions about Ubuntu. There is no such thing as evil technology in Ubuntu.

Behind the badassery, this person would be the gentle-giant type but not scared.

Yeah, it's a Mary Sue.

I can do that   no seriously, I am exceptional at voicing and writing dialogue, just not the actual story, but someone already took care of that.

Is there any writing from you available on the net that we can check out?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:31:56 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i'll just respond with a "NO" to all counts.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
A gritty, dark and sarcastic character would be good on alle sides. :rolleyes:
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Crap, I look in here and somebody's already deconstructed.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

We don't have any of those anywhere, do we?  :nervous:

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy

Yeah, like... uhm, can't remember the name of the character.
The guy from Derelict played by Mr. Ransom. Loved those duct-tape jokes ;)
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Yeah, like... uhm, can't remember the name of the character.
The guy from Derelict played by Mr. Ransom. Loved those duct-tape jokes ;)

Mackie.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!

We don't have any of those anywhere, do we?  :nervous:

Hmmh, I mean as a second Main Character (a GTVA-Pilot hahah), Laporte is more something between a crazy Valkyrie and a flower girl.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Mackie.

That's him! I could cuddle that guy :D

Blue Planet means serious business. A fresh jackass in your team would certainly be helpful :p
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

But Ubuntu does not use duct tape in their fighter craft, which is odd as enough duct tape will fix anything.  The Gefs might use plenty of duct tape though.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Pfft, who said they didn't have a use for duct tape?!