Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 190148 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
Or be able to make shock bombing runs.
Jump in, unload, jump out. Time elapsed: only the absolute necessary required for the bomb to lock + 10 seconds. Then again, that sounds too much like a SSM strike...

Wouldn't it be better to make bombs themselves smarter and/or faster?

Sounds like it could work with Vassago's Dirge chain-jumping. Jump in, wreak havoc under dense enemy fire, survive, jump out the instant your drives recharge, rearm/repair, jump somewhere else.
The Carthage and Atreus are referenced as having special sprint/tactical drives that could allow them to do this.

If the Tev campaign does get off the ground I intend to do some **** about this sort of hit-and-fade attacks.

Is there any organization for a Tev campaign?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Jump in, unload, jump out. Time elapsed: only the absolute necessary required for the bomb to lock + 10 seconds. Then again, that sounds too much like a SSM strike...

Sounds like it could work with Vassago's Dirge chain-jumping. Jump in, wreak havoc under dense enemy fire, survive, jump out the instant your drives recharge, rearm/repair, jump somewhere else.
The Carthage and Atreus are referenced as having special sprint/tactical drives that could allow them to do this.

If the Tev campaign does get off the ground I intend to do some **** about this sort of hit-and-fade attacks.

Yes. The only real establishment is the channel #bp-tev on irc.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Yes. The only real establishment is the channel #bp-tev on irc.

If you want to join in it's on the server esper.net :yes:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Right now even things such as Fredding (and viewing nameplates for the wiki) is hampered by my (lack of) graphics card. Once I get a card that can deal with things above 4 fps, I'll see if I can not only join but be of some help as well.

Delande est was a big mission that was the conclusion of half a campaign of strategy for the GTVA. It represents probably the best space battle I've seen in the Freespace 2 engine. More battles like that, as the war winds down, would be awesome.

As much of a Tev fanboy as I am, it'd be nice to see the Federation thinking a little further ahead than it has so far. I understand their pacifist roots limit them, but the Wargods definitely took the bait a little hard.

In the event of outside intervention / some type of unsteady alliance between the Tevs and Buntu should definitely involve Narayana's disabling turrets and the Tevs taking out large targets.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:46:46 pm by Mars »

I agree with wanting to blow up heavier shipping but it shouldn't be overdone. As it stands the UEF has roughly 6 months before logisitics start to wear thin IIRC. And bombers look expensive...
Oh I agree that it shouldn't be overdone for fear of making a big explosion feel commonplace. It's just that after seeing 2 Hecates, the serkr team, the Atreus, and the Carthage escape right out from under my nose I've got an urge for a big bang. This buildup in the first part of WiH will make the inevitable explosion all the sweeter though :drevil:.

Offline ION3

Well Battuta said that for bombers to become effective they'd have to get either much lighter or a lot heavier...

I guess the  Vajradhara is more on the heavy side. Still it doesnt seem to be that well shielded.

On the topic of blowing stuff up

There Werent any depot&freighter destruction missions in wih. Neither a mission where you take something on yourself. Exept the secondlast one.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
On the topic of blowing stuff up

There Werent any depot&freighter destruction missions in wih. Neither a mission where you take something on yourself. Exept the secondlast one.

I can't speak for Dilmah and Snail, but I've got one of those in the draft of BP:SoW I'm FREDing.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I agree with wanting to blow up heavier shipping but it shouldn't be overdone. As it stands the UEF has roughly 6 months before logisitics start to wear thin IIRC. And bombers look expensive...
Oh I agree that it shouldn't be overdone for fear of making a big explosion feel commonplace. It's just that after seeing 2 Hecates, the serkr team, the Atreus, and the Carthage escape right out from under my nose I've got an urge for a big bang. This buildup in the first part of WiH will make the inevitable explosion all the sweeter though :drevil:.

Heard! I was furious when the Meridian jumped out, I wanted Severanti's skull adorning the bow of my Uhlan!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
You can destroy the Meridian if you're lucky.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No you can't.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
I can't speak for Dilmah and Snail, but I've got one of those in the draft of BP:SoW I'm FREDing.

BP: SoW?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
They're thinking of calling it Spectrum of War.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
It has a name of its' own? A very good sign.
I was kind of partial to the name 'Angels Fall First', because that's what happens in a war in heaven, but that is good too.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That one is kind of taken by a huge pan-mod thing.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It has a name of its' own? A very good sign.
I was kind of partial to the name 'Angels Fall First', because that's what happens in a war in heaven, but that is good too.

And a mission!

Darius actually asked if we wanted a board here once, but we only had one halfway decent mission and a ****ty mission FREDed up, so we declined until we got more awesome stuff going.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
He did? Bah, you guys never tell me anything! :P

And now that I've got time and Snail's back, we should probably organize an IRC sesh.

I always thought that the next generation of GTVA bombers would be Nahema-like bombers with enough speed to outrun heavier fighters, and anything but interceptors on afterburners.

Yo dawg, I herd you liek tagging, so we replaced SSM with Subspace TAG missiles, so you can tag while you tag.
I did something similar once, for teh lulz. If you combine it with cluster bombs ... well ...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
They're thinking of calling it Spectrum of War.
Actually Spectrum of War is just the name of the full-length (~30 missions) campaign that is the 'ultimate' goal of the project. Plans are (AFAIK) to create a couple mini-campaigns just to get the thing off the ground first.

I always thought that the next generation of GTVA bombers would be Nahema-like bombers with enough speed to outrun heavier fighters, and anything but interceptors on afterburners.
That might be useful, but I don't think it would be any more survivable than an Artemis or Rhea in a suicide run, unless it can reliably hold its own in a dogfight. Nahemas were dangerous but still died by the bucketload, and that was to Capella-era fighters.

There are going to be Shivans, right?
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So I was watching Sunglare again and I catch sight of an Aten cruiser. Like lolwut? Vasudans still use Aten? WRYYYYY!?!

Looking forward to seeing a couple new Vasudan ships and stuff in WiH2.