Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 190285 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
I'm curious how the Carthage is going to play into the next campaign, considering the player (and the Wargods) could have destroyed its entire battlegroup. The 2nd Battlegroup could now consist of nothing but an Orion.

EDIT:

Anita Lopez doesn't seem like the type to go on after that either.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Unfortunately there's no easy way for us to carry the player's performance in that respect over from R1.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Is that cos you can't carry over variables from one campaign to another?

Eventually you start fleeing for your life from phantom fighters and crazed corvette captains.
:lol: nice reference
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:37:22 pm by Asteroth »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
My brother once figured out how far the engine could support. The distance was equivalent to several orders of magnitude beyond the observable universe. After not very far though, errors and inconsistencies prevent any sort of serious gameplay.
Eventually you start fleeing for your life from phantom fighters and crazed corvette captains.
I see what you did there.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
My brother once figured out how far the engine could support. The distance was equivalent to several orders of magnitude beyond the observable universe. After not very far though, errors and inconsistencies prevent any sort of serious gameplay.
I started hearing the creepy clockwork.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline -Sara-

Thinking of things I'd like to see in the rest of WiH, here's a list:

• Mines, or perhaps decent scaled defense platforms (the latter could carry a powerplant, possibly shielding itself that way, thus requiring the GTVA to call in ships with beams, which can in turn be jumped again by UEF ships).
  • A next generation superiority fighter. The Uhlan has a hard time against more modern GTVA fightercraft. I'm sure that a more expensive fighter, to counter the advantages of the new GTVA crafts is not unthinkable, to fly besides the new assault fighter and superheavy bomber which are already a wartime project.
  • Atleast another cruiser or corvette for the GTVA capable of launching torpedoes. These weapons seem restricted to GTVA destroyers, yet they are so very effective against warships when timed properly.
  • A next-generation, smaller Mjolnir of sorts. There is a great tactical advantage when being able to augment your firepower with beam satelites around fortified positions, forming a second or third line as jumping that deep into territory is near-impossible.
  • Some more next-gen weapons for the GTVA. I'm sure 18 months of battle with the UEF would have given birth to weapons which can more efficiently compensate for the UEF advantage of having maneuvrable and fast fightercraft. How about faster trebuchets with half the payload? Deadly when fired by an Ares wing. Or a heavier turret-based maxim, useful for de-clawing UEF spaceships while being able to put older GTVA cruisers (Fenris and Levianthan) to better use.
  • GTVA shield satelites. A set of satelites which spawn an effective shield or energy barrier over a larger area, hampering the UEF gauss- and mass driver artillery strikes on stationary targets (it's far more difficult to hit a small satelite than it is to hit a large destroyer).

Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Some "capture enemy tech" missions would be cool...be nice to finally have beam cannons on Earth's side...some Hybrid Beam cannon/Massdriver warships? ;)

And loads more missions with Gunships...God i loved that fighter xD

Offline -Norbert-

I'm curious how the Carthage is going to play into the next campaign, considering the player (and the Wargods) could have destroyed its entire battlegroup. The 2nd Battlegroup could now consist of nothing but an Orion.

EDIT:

Anita Lopez doesn't seem like the type to go on after that either.
I don't think Lopez has much of a choice, unless she resigns (which I think isn't allowed in the middle of an operation) or defects.
The ships of her battlegroup were at least damaged badly before they jumped out, so I see no problem with them just not appearing in WiH2. Wether they are destroyed or rotated back to GTVA terretory for repairs, matters little to those in Sol, unless the come back repaired like the Imperieus.
You could even make a point of the surviving ships being reassigned to anti-shivan patrols or peacekeeping in quiet GTVA sectors, after repairs being finished, to recupperate from the stress of nearly being wiped out and seeing so many of their comrades die or get captured in the wargods' last assault.
While the GTVA did come out on top, it was still a costly victory for them.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I think based on how Delenda Est runs it's pretty much guaranteed the Carthage Air Wing gets wiped out. Regardless of the status of the rest of the battlegroup they'll have to pull back to Delta Serpentis to restock on strikecraft. At the very least then they won't be in Sol, therefore there isn't a huge need to draw attention to the matter. :)

I want the player's next homeship to be a Sanctus, the UEC Expendable.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Sanctii have no fighterbay, that might be a little problematic.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oooh ooh how about being based on an Upanishad or Demeter... They have fighterbays!

Actually, is it possible for Ships in FS to have external fighter racks? Would be kind of idiotic to have on a Sanctus, as their job is to dive headfirst into beam rape which would probably result in said racks becoming unusable, but it might be cool on some other ships. Assuming its feasible in the engine, of course.

The Carrack Cruiser from Star Wars has external fighter racks
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I don't think Lopez has much of a choice, unless she resigns (which I think isn't allowed in the middle of an operation) or defects.
The ships of her battlegroup were at least damaged badly before they jumped out, so I see no problem with them just not appearing in WiH2. Wether they are destroyed or rotated back to GTVA terretory for repairs, matters little to those in Sol, unless the come back repaired like the Imperieus.
You could even make a point of the surviving ships being reassigned to anti-shivan patrols or peacekeeping in quiet GTVA sectors, after repairs being finished, to recupperate from the stress of nearly being wiped out and seeing so many of their comrades die or get captured in the wargods' last assault.
While the GTVA did come out on top, it was still a costly victory for them.
I believe it has been explicitly stated that the Carthage and her battlegroup will play a large part of WiH2.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:25:13 am by Mars »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Carthage at least has appeared in screenshots.

Offline -Norbert-

That doesn't mean it has to consist of the same ships, except the Carthage. I didn't mean to say the whole battlegroup was moved, but the individual ships that got shot up so badly were rotated back (if they survived) and replaced by others.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Norbert is a wise man.

The Carrack Cruiser from Star Wars has external fighter racks

Interesting, but I actually got the idea from Starlancer.  In that game one of the Russian's heavy cruiser classes, I forget which one, was fitted with External Launch racks. Scary when they got the drop on your Battlegroup, as all of their Strikecraft could be launched at once. There was at least one mission where you got the drop on a ship of that class though, and It was a sitting duck since it couldn't launch it's screen in anything resembling a timely fashion.

A ship with a large external rack might fit in with the current GTVA shock-jump philosophy actually.

Online starlord

that would be the cyclone class... although the badanov and krasny also have them...