Author Topic: Consoles vs. PC (split from Gaming heaven vs hell)  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Davros

Consoles vs. PC (split from Gaming heaven vs hell)
Gaming heaven = the P.C
Gaming hell = consoles

A quick reminder

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
gaming heaven: crytek
gaming hell: nexon

[/thread]
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Gaming heaven = the P.C
Gaming hell = consoles

Gaming heaven = the P.C
Gaming hell = FPS & RTS on consoles

most racers and arcade style games work quite well
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Yeah, that's not really being fair to consoles. There are a few good console only titles.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
which would be even better on PC.  ;7

except for Wii and whatever the PS and Xbox versions are.  until there are common motion tracking controls on PC at least. :P
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Show me a good PC Jump'n'Run. There are a few genres where the PC is king, in other, Consoles reign supreme (Due to the fact that they come with standardized joypads that games can be tailored to, which is a luxury the PC doesn't have). And no, Mouse + KB is not always the best control option available.

In the end, both Console lovers and PC fanatics are wrong, neither side can be considered to be universally better.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Show me a good PC Jump'n'Run. There are a few genres where the PC is king, in other, Consoles reign supreme (Due to the fact that they come with standardized joypads that games can be tailored to, which is a luxury the PC doesn't have). And no, Mouse + KB is not always the best control option available.

I find the keyoard works exceptionally well for Jump'N'Run and beat-em-ups.

In the end, both Console lovers and PC fanatics are wrong, neither side can be considered to be universally better.

PC has better overall quality and depth of games. Consoles are cheaper and you can play with a gang of 4.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Ummm, okay.  Doesn't change that keyboard and mouse is not always the best control method.

PC has better overall quality and depth of games.

Aren't opinions grand?  I myself hold fairly much the opposite.  Especially in light of the ****ty PC-ports of console games lately.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I definitely feel that certain genres, primarly FPS and RTS games, are by far at their best when played on a PC, but there are other genres that just don't feel right without holding a controller and sitting in front of your TV.  Platformers, fighters, and general action games have always seemed more right on a console to me, and the fact that the vast majority of the standouts in those genres are console-exclusive backs that up.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
*Tries to imagine playing Starcraft 2 on a joypad*

:shaking:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Ummm, okay.  Doesn't change that keyboard and mouse is not always the best control method.

Works for me for any game I've played so far. I even find that I can control my fighter better with the keyboard and with a joystick (I got a good one to boot) in FS2.

Regardless, there's gamepads for the PC too...

PC has better overall quality and depth of games.

Aren't opinions grand?  I myself hold fairly much the opposite.  Especially in light of the ****ty PC-ports of console games lately.

So you judge the PC based on games developed for the console? What rubbish.

PC as a platform offers more customaizability and flexibility - the games can be larger in scope, in depth, in breadth.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
PC as a platform offers more customaizability and flexibility - the games can be larger in scope, in depth, in breadth

None of which means that they are, in fact, better.  Nor are they frequently what you're showing off here.  Actually, I'd wager that a good portion of sales and perhaps slightly less of the pool of what's popular on the PC platform today is made up of said ****ty ports from console.

So, really, I'm basing my opinion on how a slew of bad console ports impact the overall quality of the pool of games available to a PC user.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
How the hell did this turn into a PC vs console debate?
Everyone has their own opinions especially considering what kind of games they like.
I personally like both...
Anyway, sorry to re-derail.  I dunno about hell, but gaming heaven is Mario Kart 64 on a couch with three scantily clad college girls.  Actually, that's probably normal heaven too.
That sounds awesome! XD
ah, the good ol'days of Mario Cart... :D

Offline mxlm

Re: Consoles vs. PC (split from Gaming heaven vs hell)
Can we all--okay, most of us--agree that a PC v console debate is silly?

Show me a good PC Jump'n'Run.

It's not exactly my genre, but assuming you're talking about sidescrolling platformers, there are more than a few. VVVVVV has a good rep, for one.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Cave Story?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
iji
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
which would be even better on PC.  ;7

except for Wii and whatever the PS and Xbox versions are.  until there are common motion tracking controls on PC at least. :P

clicky
i really dont know why they try to push it as a head tracking only gizmo, with the right software it could do much much more. most of the new motion tracking systems are essentially infrared cameras.

Show me a good PC Jump'n'Run.

clicky

There are a few genres where the PC is king, in other, Consoles reign supreme (Due to the fact that they come with standardized joypads that games can be tailored to, which is a luxury the PC doesn't have). And no, Mouse + KB is not always the best control option available.

what i like about pcs is the fact that controls arent standardized. there are lots of control options. various joysticks, keyboards, mice, gamepads, and we also have things like trackir. a little hacking and anything becomes an interface. consoles essentially force you into a single control layout (except for perhaps the wii which has a ****load of control options). the new ps3 motion controllers are somewhat laughable, the kinect looks good on paper, in that it doesnt require any props or markers. what i dont see for consoles is a lot of traditional control options. seems like you have to choose gamepads and motion controllers. last console i owned was a sega saturn, which had a fairly decent joystick option. it was the only console in the early 32 bit era that had any simulation games at all. it rather disappointed me when it flopped. i grew up back in the 90s when joysticks took up an entire row in the computer store.

consoles could support keyboards, mice and joysticks, and pcs could support motion controllers and gamepads. for me the real thing that sets pcs apart from consoles is graphics quality. sure it will cost you to have those graphics, but the potential is there. consoles lagged in graphics and it took the current generation of consoles to even threaten pc gaming. pc gaming is starting to recover. but even this difference is starting to blurr.

the real major difference is in fact in the gamers themselves. console gamers like to drop in the disc and go. they dont mind being forced into a rigid environment where they have very little choice over what goes into their system, and what games gets made for it. only choice they make is what system to buy. pc gamers want more control, they want to make and play mods, they want better input options, they want to be able to build and tune their own machines like a gearhead would do to an old muscle car. any genre could work on any platform, its really just a matter of whatever philosophy the console designers had in mind when designing their hardware that traps em into a game style. and the ps3/360 adoption of motion controllers shows that they can be willing to change if they see money in it.

this even slices up the genres of games available to each. pc gamers want more complex games, while console gamers like to keep it somewhat simple. cant really say one is better than the other. i can only tell you which i prefer.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:35:08 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
PC as a platform offers more customaizability and flexibility - the games can be larger in scope, in depth, in breadth

None of which means that they are, in fact, better. 

On average? Or at the extremes?
The majority of everything is trash, so no. But a media is generally judged by the best works it has to offer. The best of the best.

And PC has some glorious titles that put anything on consoles to shame. I've been surrounded with consoles and computers since the days of Commodore 64 and ZX spectrum. I've played on both A LOT.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Everything a Concole can do, PC can do better or at least the same + PC comes with more not jsut gaming stuff :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3xwDDLuLcY
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Consoles are nice, its made to hook up directly to your TV with no fuss, and more importantly the majority of games are made to run with no issues on the machine.  There isn't some constant hardware/software arms race where your rig becomes obsolete every couple years.  Sure it can't play some of the more complex input driven games like RTS and hardcore flight sims but it handles everything else pretty easily. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”