Author Topic: Why did command send the GTD Bastion after the SD Lucifer?  (Read 31220 times)

Why did command send the GTD Bastion after the SD Lucifer?
The Orion-class ships in FS1 don't seem to have any kind of weaponry like the Lucifer to defeat capital ships. The Galatea got destroyed very easily by the Lucifer... what is the point in sending the Bastion after the Lucifer when the Lucifer can just as easily destroy it?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Why did command send the GTD Bastion after the SD Lucifer?
fighters.
to kill it in subspace.
the bastion carries fighters, you see.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It could also engage the Lucifer safely with the its shields down, because remember, in fluff, capital ships all had good weaponry (but not as good in game because it'd have been hard for anything unshielded otherwise)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Rearm and repair, and also a turret soak. The Bastion can drive in close and the bombers can use it as a shield while they obtain lock, then duck out to fire. Also, in a shieldless environment, the Bastion being there to soak up the attention of defending Shivan fighter wings simply by being large (and perhaps adopting a collision course with the Lucifer?) would help a lot to keep the bombers safe.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
I always thought they sent it because the player was stationed on it. :) 
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I always thought they sent it because the player was stationed on it. :)

NO WAY!.... wait....naaa, no way, that was just coincidence :p

el hombre vicio...

Offline -Norbert-

Apart from the beams, the Lucifer is underarmed for her size and those beams only fire forward, while the Bastion would have come in behind the Lucifer. But the real reason for ordering the Bastion to attack the Luci was simple desperation. It was the only destroyer in a position to carry out the attack.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I think shivans know better than to blow up a destroyer class with beams while in subspace. The lucy and all shivans would be focused on defending the Lucifer, it had 800k HP, so they could make it. I just think they didn't realize that terans didn't know they'll collapse the node and thought they are not stupid enough to do thet. Well, **** happens, they were :D My point is that the battle would have the same outcome no matter what the terrans sent, even if it were 10 fenrises. Shivans would have disarmed/disabled them and leave them to rot in subspace.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The Shivans will destroy anything that opposes them, except those who offer free samples of Bosch Beer for life. :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline peterv

The Shivans will destroy anything that opposes them, except those who offer free samples of Bosch Beer for life. :p

Will you please stop giving ideas to Axem?  :mad:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
But Bosh Beer HQ was already destroyed. :P

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
That would've been great in an alternate reality campaign (maybe in 'What if' ;) )

The Bastion actually follows the Lucifer through Subspace and accelerates until the ships are side by side. And when there are only ten seconds left to destroy the reactors the Bastion rams the damn thing out of this universe. What a suspense "NOOOOOOO!!!"-moment :shaking:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Funny thing about both ships is that they have the same maximum velocity, so unless the Lucifer is disabled, has it engines damaged a little, slows down to allow the Bastion to catch up or some other fluke, the Bastion, in real space, cannot catch up to the Lucifer at all.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Engine-overload is the magic word here. It'd make the thing even cooler because the Bastion sustains serious damage to it's reactor cores (hull breaches in the rear sections etc). Goosebumps all over that mission!
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I always figured that the Bastion got sent in because she was simply the closest ship with a reasonable complement of strike craft on hand when the Lucy went into the node.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I always figured that the Bastion got sent in because she was simply the closest ship with a reasonable complement of strike craft on hand when the Lucy went into the node.

And also because it hauled a bunch of ursas and harbingers. It took two jumps to follow the lucifer, and shivans have much more accurate jumps - i think command knew they can't catch them. What i'll never understand is why they didn't send the Orion from Sol to Delta Serpentis to give the Lucifer a warm welcome at the node. There was no point for waiting at the SOL side of the node as they won't breach the shields anyway if the shivans got through.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline -Norbert-

Is that Orion in Sol even canon?
If yes, it was in no position to do so. If it was waiting in Delta Serpentis at the node, the Lucifer would simply have blasted her out of the way with her beams. And since there is no evidence for it to be possible, that Orion couldn't enter into the Lucifers tunnel and then turned around inside subspace, to engage her.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I would have bet that all of the destroyers and most of the cruisers would have been out of Sol to deal with the Shivans attacking the other systems.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Is that Orion in Sol even canon?
No. In fact, it might even be run contradictory to canon, since it was not present at the node in the ending cutscene of FS1.

Offline Kolgena

I thought there was a GTD Washington closer to Earth, and therefore impossible to see out at that distance.