Author Topic: New theme issues  (Read 249966 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
I think I could get used to the fixed width but the footer below the main thread body still looks a little wonky. (WIP I'm assuming)

Which part, and what is "wonky" exactly? :p

That stuff. Mostly that random grey box, but things look just kind of thrown around there. Maybe I just didn't notice it before but it definitely seems wonky.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:06:21 pm by Polpolion »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The point is not to "utilize" the entire width at the expense of readability. ;) If the space bothers you, have you considered having a couple of windows open side-by-side?

FWIW, there should be a larger width the forums should be scaling to on large monitors, but it's not working for some reason. Low-priority ATM.
Look for me on Gamewarden. I've had it with this "new and improved" look. It just keeps getting worse. Why couldn't we stay with the good, old interface?

You are entitled to your opinion.. but how about giving it without being a dick?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Because I'm frustrated with all those changes making the most important FS forum nigh-unusable, that's why. My eyes hurt just looking at it, it looks better on my phone than on my PC.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
If there's one thing I am not liking about this change is that there's now so much unused screen space now that the actual content is compressed inward to the center.  :sigh:
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Holy crap, what the ****? This place went from functional to unreadable. How do I get posts back to full width and the 'compose' screen to look like anything but a 2003 default template?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If changes were made to deal with the security exploit I can totally understand that.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
short version

site was hacked
site was restored
site is having a number of dated scripts updated or replaced to remove last vestiges of the attack and close security holes
site "look" is taking time to be restored due to the volume of changes

so can we hold off whining about the appearance of the site until the admins say they are done
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
so can we hold off whining about the appearance of the site until the admins say they are done

Quoted for truth.

Also, if you really think what you have to say is so important that it must be said now... then how's about a little tact?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, I just hope it eventually goes back to the way it was.
Because that is certainly better than how it is now.
I am happy that the top bar isn?t a bunch of expanded links taking up three monitor heights now XD.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Chrome keeps telling me hard-light is an attack site.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Indeed. The switchover is made. The on-hover menus are now on-click.

While we're on the on-hover expansion thing, can we make that go away for signatures?  That's been driving me crazy forever, but I've just never made it to the support board to say something.  It frequently "sticks" open, and it blocks the reply buttons. I don't know about the rest of you, but my mouse almost always travels through the signature on the way to those.  Click-to-expand, or really just no cutoffs i think would be best.  I don't know of anyone who has an insanely long signature, and it really doesn't save all that much space.  A line or two maybe.  Whatever happens though, let's not go back to the scroll bars.  Getting rid of those was DEFINITELY the right thing to do.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Yea,  :D been using my direct link to the forums to by pass the homepage link till its fixed.
I thought at first, I was the only one to experience attack.
Norton blocked the homepage on me, so Ive decided i`ll unblock it once I've got conformation from an admin its clean. Sandwich, you are my best friend now.  :P What you may decide to do with HLP is fine with me, I'm flexable.  ;)

(edit)Disreguard the site is working for me now.  :) Thanks goes out to the Admin(s)  :yes:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:14:37 pm by Whitelight »
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
Holy crap, what the ****? This place went from functional to unreadable. How do I get posts back to full width and the 'compose' screen to look like anything but a 2003 default template?
I'm guessing from the bluntness and the post that followed that you didn't read what was going on until the second post. Also, do you mean the fixed width and the white boxes (the latter will probably be fixed) are the problems that you mentioned? Are there any pros or other cons that you know of?

And if Dragon voluntarily leaves HLP for Game Warden, he can do so at his own volition.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Because I'm frustrated with all those changes making the most important FS forum nigh-unusable, that's why. My eyes hurt just looking at it, it looks better on my phone than on my PC.

My apologies. Next time we're hacked I'll make sure to consult with Your Highness beforehand to make sure that the hacking is done in a way that you're ok with. :rolleyes:

The set-width thing is an experiment in readable line-lengths (yes, I'm doing science!).
While we're on the on-hover expansion thing, can we make that go away for signatures?  That's been driving me crazy forever, but I've just never made it to the support board to say something.  It frequently "sticks" open, and it blocks the reply buttons. I don't know about the rest of you, but my mouse almost always travels through the signature on the way to those.  Click-to-expand, or really just no cutoffs i think would be best.  I don't know of anyone who has an insanely long signature, and it really doesn't save all that much space.  A line or two maybe.  Whatever happens though, let's not go back to the scroll bars.  Getting rid of those was DEFINITELY the right thing to do.

Yeah, I hear ya. With the new scripts I'm basing a lot of the forum page components on, I've got some options in that regard. Lemme think about it some.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline SypheDMar

The set-width thing is an experiment in readable line-lengths (yes, I'm doing science!).
It might be because I've heard about this that I didn't find the idea and the execution a problem. I hope your endeavors pay off because what the forum is now is potentially better than what it was before the fix.

Offline SypheDMar

Can there be an option either in the Control Panel or the Reply/Create New Thread to disable or limit the emoticons even more? I've noticed that my old tablet slows down a lot when I try to reply to a thread on the forum. If it is a lot of work, then you don't have to fix it.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Can there be an option either in the Control Panel or the Reply/Create New Thread to disable or limit the emoticons even more? I've noticed that my old tablet slows down a lot when I try to reply to a thread on the forum. If it is a lot of work, then you don't have to fix it.

I looked into the code that handles the emoticon display in posting replies, and it's nigh-impossible to alter, so no, sorry.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I call bull**** on that readable line lengths article, mostly because that page itself skips lines way too often, even by their rubric.
I like reading horizontally and have no problem tracking which line I'm on because I like to highlight as I read.

I hope my faith that it will eventually go back to how it was before is not misplaced.
I find myself with an aversion towards browsing HLP as it currently stands...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Me too, I feel like I'm on a cell phone.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
My two cents:

• I like the "feel" of the new theme.
  • My 1366x768 screen displays the "readable line lengths" very comfortably, but from the feedback here, it's not effective on all monitors and displays.  I'd suggest, therefore, that it should be put to a poll, or put back the way it was.  I'm indifferent on this point.
  • There are some things related to the micro that I could do without, but those are, after all, the micro of the update, and are ultimately unimportant.  Things like the big news banner being bright white and also not centered like the rest of the board.  Minor, but a peeve.
  • The "HLP Network" bar is perfect size on my display, but from the feedback it's too large on others.  Perhaps scale it to the monitor being used to view?  Is that possible to do?
  • Death to mouse-over features.

I think that's all I've got right now.