Author Topic: BSG Online Beta Access  (Read 6689 times)

It is a more combat and PvP version of EVE.  Similar skill acquisition concept though.  As to the touring, it is three rooms, so don't get your hopes up.

<as stated before I am in the closed beta as well>

Some one did do a FPS mod fro BSG.  I forgot on what engine though.  Found it doing random video searches one night.

That was a mod that was going to be for Crysis.It was going to be done by the same people that did the homeworld 2 bsg mod but so far it seems the Crysis one has been canceled.

By the way. I signed up for Beta access yesterday. How long does it take them to clear you?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:40:03 pm by FreespacePilot2010 »

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
there was also one for the source engine, but it was never released.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline JR2000Z

CIC looks different.
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline chapel

By the way. I signed up for Beta access yesterday. How long does it take them to clear you?

The open beta begins on the 8th so a couple of days and you're in... a couple of days after that and you'll probably be bored of it.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
The open beta is now, erm, open.

Ive been playing it today. And the truth is its not all that great. The graphics are good but the gameplay is pretty bad. If they fixed the control scheme it might actual be an ok game.They should follow the controls of the Star Trek Online space mechanics. Now thats an easy game to get into.The other thing that im bugged at is the fact you can only have one character. Once you pick Cylon or Human you have to stick with that character. You cant change it.I picked Cylon but I also wanted to try the Colonial side.Its a shame they wont let you cancel or switch.

Offline newman

Maybe they'll give the option to switch sides once it gets out of beta. As for the controls, I found the keyboard flight controls to be pretty useless. Using the mouse works a lot better, somewhat similar to Freelancer. Considering it's a browser game, this may be one of the areas you just have to forgive.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
for a browser game, Its pretty good.
the flying is OK, I got the hang of it quickly, but had to rebind throttle to q&e for convenience.
rolling cylon on Scorpia

Thanks for the tip newman. Dragging the mouse works better. But I prefer to play games with wasd fps controls.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Before I try it does it support joystick?  Can't see trying a space sim that doesn't.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline newman

Before I try it does it support joystick?  Can't see trying a space sim that doesn't.

Nope. And don't think of it as a sim, it's really not. Think simplified Freelancer in terms of flight.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:33:24 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline YIIMM

I think the setting is a fairly contrived but ties in pretty well with the cycle of time (each side is refurbishing ancient human/machine ships they come across) but so far it's not feeling terribly engaging or even all that BSG-y. As has been mentioned, the manual flight controls are tricky at best.

I'll keep plugging away and see if my thoughts change though.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
It handles nothing like BSG, the game needs a glide button.  But its okay for a free browser-based game, runs alright, looks alright.

man, I really wish there were a new space-BSG game where you could fly one way and shoot the other way.....

Offline newman

man, I really wish there were a new space-BSG game where you could fly one way and shoot the other way.....

Just a bit more patience, and there will be one ;)

It handles nothing like BSG, the game needs a glide button.  But its okay for a free browser-based game, runs alright, looks alright.

I dont know about the bigger ships but as far as I know (been playing for a while) you can buy an RCS Glide thruster for your viper/raptor -- raider/Hraider
I think the game is pretty good for a browser game.  I mean it is still in BETA but it only has a few bugs that I have found.  The combat is a little on the boring side unless you get into heavy PVP action which is amazingly stunning to see and incredibly hard for this poor old laptop to render.  All in all i like it. (Colonial/Libran)

I have not messed with it since my last post in here about it.  If I am remembering correctly there is a "slide" feature you can purchase and equip on your ship.  It is fairly expensive when you first start but chump change later.

It's interesting, not my cup of tea for the fighting necessarily. More like a Facebook app.
Visually interesting use of interface though. I find some of the on screen items a bit distracting.
Point and click is a bit buggy for a dogfight for sure but amused me for a bit regardless.
I went in as a Cylon. I may play from time to time, doubt I'll squad up as I'm not 'that' intrigued by it though.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
While it does have some major drawbacks graphics and flight wise it's a very fun game.  I'm sitting here making myself get some work done for Diaspora so I can go play.  I've become a major addict playing for 10 hours a day.  Might be getting my line ship today.  I should have enough credits for a Fenir by the end of the night (haven't bought any just get them by killing and doing dailys) but not enough fuel for the Hel.  Might hold off until I do and go straight to an advanced line. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Just a bit more patience, and there will be one ;)
Yesssss !!!!! =)